• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Thermal Paste Application

Aiwin

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 16, 2008
Messages
79
I'm going to apply thermal paste to my laptop's AMD Turion 64 CPU. My question: when I apply the paste, press the heat sink down and then lift it back up to see how far the paste has spread, should it be covering 100% of the chip in the center? Should it spread past those edges?

When I've cleaned the dried compound off from other CPUs in the past, the paste is always spread over (most of) the whole top of the CPU, but I'm not clear on whether that's just sloppy factory application or what.
 
Just twist the heatsink from side to side a little bit, and you should be fine. That is what AS5 recommends when you apply it.
 
I think most laptop cpus don't have a heat spreader like a desktop chip, see here. If this is ( most likely) the case for you, the whole bare chip must be covered. Follow the instructions here for whichever one applies to you.
 
Thanks for the links, they really helped. I'm not sure why I didn't just look at Arctic Silver's site to begin with.

New question (maybe it should be a new post): what else can I do to more effectively cool my laptop? I've got a Compaq v2000 laptop with a Turion 64 in it running at 2000 MHz. I've got the Arctic Silver applied, though I understand it takes as much as 200 hours of use to achieve full effectiveness. It'll still run anywhere between 55 and 68 C depending on what I'm doing with it. Using it for more than an hour or so, or using it for anything more taxing than web surfing generally makes it nearly hot enough to burn my legs, and it does overheat and crash sometimes. Hence my application of the heat compound - hoping that'll at least cool it enough to stop the crashing, but the difference isn't big yet.

I usually do use it on my lap rather than on a desktop. I know there are cooling bases for laptops but I'd rather get one of those as a last resort. Is it possible to buy/install a better fan, maybe?
 
No, that can't really be done ( swap in another fan). I'm guessing the air intake for the fan is on the bottom of the laptop which is probably being hindered by your leg, heh. Only solution is to not put it on your lap, that's pretty bad for your posture as well.
 
Only solution is to not put it on your lap, that's pretty bad for your posture as well.

Pretty bad for something else too.

Having had my own little adventure with laptop CPU overheating, I can tell you that unfortunately there's nothing you can do aside from applying new thermal paste. Just try and keep the computer in a position where it gets enough airflow and it won't overheat.
 
Back
Top