• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Thermal paste and fan recommendation

Stevarian

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 13, 2002
Messages
502
Hello, I am about to order the last parts for my system, and will be getting the Q6600 proc, and probably the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 cooler....

I posted earlier and got some excellent advice on the cooler. I have a tube of Arctic Silver 3 that has been in my drawer for probably 5 years....cap on, in a ziploc bag. After reading something at Arctic Silver's website, I am wondering if the material has separated inside the tube....

Anyway, I should probably buy some new paste, as I am not sure I would feel comfortable using something so old. Is Arctic Silver 5 the best thermal paste available?

Also, from some reading, it sounds like the stock fan with the Xigmatek is a bit loud....any recommendations on a quieter 120 mm fan?

Thanks!
 
I prefer the ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 thermal compound over the AS 5 (tried both of them).
The best method to apply thermal paste to your HDT cooler is described here.
The Xigmatek HDT-S1283 has a pretty good fan, it's not loud when you're using the PWM feature of the fan.
If you change the fan to a low rpm. unit (Nexus D12SL for example) - the temperature rise is 3-5 *C and nearly SPCR silent (the change is not worthy IMO). ;)
 
Back
Top