Thermal pad on intel heatsinks?

Headbust

[H]ard|Gawd
Well I ordered meh new PC and it should be here tommorow or the day after. I've been hearing alot about the thermal pad that comes attached onto the heatsink. I also hear they are a pain in the arse to get the heatsink off the cpu if you ever attempt(which i will a few months down the line)..

Should I just take the thermal pad off and use the thermal paste that comes with it instead?. Razor blade do the trick?, what should i use to clean it afterwords also if needed.

thanks!

yeah, id shave it off witha razor, and then wipe the surface down with windex (409, whatever with ammonia or alcohol), let it dry, apply some thermal paste and go that route.

good luck.

leave it alone untill everything is copostehtick(ok)
Then while your breaking it in check your temps under different
conditions . Keep a log of your settings
Then when all is as it should be, carefully remove the pad with isopropyl alcohol,trying not to scratch anything. don't use anything that will leave a residue in the micro pors. Then add a small amount of a good compond (Arctic silver 5). HS componds are not to act as a blanket less is better! Go to the Arctic WS
and read away!
Keep your temps with and without and post back. I'm doin it with my video card and will post in a few days my results.
Unless you can get both sufaces real flat thermal pads are better.

good luck

Don't use the Intel termal pad. Just scrap it off, clean the heatsink and apply some Artic Silver paste and you'll be set.

OK, I did the same I removed the pad and put the Artic silver past on the way I was told. I have the AI7 motherboard so needed it. Now I have been watching the temp on the CPU and also the case I have a couple of Fans in the case and its sitting around 30c sometimes 35c when I'm running loaded. my CPU is running about 37c during idle times but when I get done playing any of my games or anythign for hours on end it will run at 55c I haven't seen it go any higher but is that normal for the intel P4 2.8c I wanted to OC it a little bit but not sure if that is a good idea. I've been told that 55c is hot for the CPU to run at. I have been thinking of getting a New Heatsink but have been told the standard heatsink and fan work fine. Any help would be great on this matter.

55c is a decent temp for a full load. What motherboard are you using?

Abit AI7 Motherboard, has alot of nice features and allows for upgrades. Though I guess I should have got a board that is better but already had it installed before I could return it for something else. Either way works nicely.

Originally posted by MemoryInAGarden
Abit boards have always been notorious for exaggerating the temperatures by about 10 C too much.

Only some of them - and even then, it depends on the BIOS version that the particular Abit board is running on. In fact, some of the other brands of boards actually underreport the temperatures by about 10°C (i.e. they read about 10°C lower than the CPU's on-die temperature really is). And a few brands of motherboards (Intel-made boards is the biggest example) don't provide temperature readings at all in the BIOS (though the Intel-made boards do have a temperature sensor); for that you'll have to use third-party monitoring software.

Why is the Intel heat pad thing so bad that all you guys say take it off.... for me I got the 3.0C processor and I really don't ever plan on overlocking it or anything. Should I keep the heat pad on there or I do too have to scrape it off and use thermal grease?

Originally posted by pbXassassinX1524
Why is the Intel heat pad thing so bad that all you guys say take it off.... for me I got the 3.0C processor and I really don't ever plan on overlocking it or anything. Should I keep the heat pad on there or I do too have to scrape it off and use thermal grease?

The one good thing about the stock TIM material on boxed Intel processor heatsinks is that the material, once on the CPU, is semi-permanent (unlike thermal grease and Arctic Silver anything, which need to be re-applied every few months).

The Intel pad gets to stick you your cpu pretty hard. It's better to use Artic Silver paste so you'll have a easier time to remove the heatsink and cpu when you upgrade.

Back