• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

thermal compound and laptop

ColdCrow

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 31, 2005
Messages
289
I had to order a new palm rest for my laptop which required me to remove the heatsink. So I cleaned cpu top and heatsink with 70% Isopropyl alcohol, and sandpapered the heatsink a bit with 400 grit sandpaper and used thermalright compound. My temps when using "realtemp" are 45-50C and when using a lot of programs it goes to 60C sometimes 70C. The fans are always on full now instead of turning off when the temp is lower, which it use to do.
DSC00514.jpg

DSC00515.jpg


Does it take a while for compound to settle and dry to become cooler?
Should I try another thermal compound?
Any suggestions?

Inspiron E1405
Intel Core Due T2350
 
I even tried using another paste today noctua NT-H1, and got the same temp results.
 
Way too much paste on there, also use something to spread it nice and thin and even. I use a razor blade, something like a credit card or whatever works well too.

What were your temps before you changed the compound? Did you tighten it enough?
 
I did it again with an even thinner layer. Still the same temps.

I did not know the temps before, but I did know the fan would turn off or lower at points, now the fan just stays on 24/7.
 
Way way too much grease. When I put grease on its just a small grain of rise size in the middle and let the heatsink do the rest when its attached straight down on the cpu. Using a 400 grit probably messed things up as well. When you lap the cpu you must do it correctly which I would never attempt in the first place.

If one does the razor blade or credit card method to spread it on the cpu, one does it so thin you can actually see the cpu a tiny bit.
 
Well I figured the problem out, the cpu fan has died. I ordered a new one. Thanks for your advices.
 
Back
Top