There is a big diff gaming at 2560x1600 compared to 1920x1200

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
I have had this Apple 30" for two years now, got Christmas 05', and gaming 2560x1600rez is nice, I have just a single 8800GTX, and can play my games native rez with 4xAA/16xAF no problem smooth butter, but only games I play are not the new big engine hogs, just Team Fortress 2, WoW, QuakeWars, COD4.

Anyways I updated Wifeys system to a Dell 27" LCD with 1920x1200rez, and boy that image just doesn't look right to me, looks too blocky and text is not razor sharp like I am used to. She had a old Samsung 24" from 2003 that also was 1920x1200 but that looked sharper/detailed. Could it be sticking with the same size rez, but a larger display/monitor than when I was used to on that system makes everything look bigger but more pixels or something ??

Don't get me wrong the Dell 27" LCD with 8800GT and Q6600 running her, Team Fortress 2 looks sweet, maybe I am just a snob now having this Apple 30" for awhile I got so used to crystal clear gaming, going down to 1920x1200rez on just 3" less screen seems major to me.

So my advice if you only have one main gaming system, get a 30" LCD with 2560x1600rez and don't look back the higher rez is so worth it :D

The screen is bigger it will look more blocky. Has to do with pixel size and screen size in relation to the 1920x1200 resolution or something. The lower the resolution and bigger the screen, the more pixelated it will be. 1920x1200 on a 24" will look more crisp. It's like running 1680x1050 on a 22" when 20" has that resolution.

The screen is bigger it will look more blocky. Has to do with pixel size and screen size in relation to the 1920x1200 resolution or something. The lower the resolution and bigger the screen, the more pixelated it will be. 1920x1200 on a 24" will look more crisp. It's like running 1680x1050 on a 22" when 20" has that resolution.

Good points, thank God I did not go with the Westinghouse 37", that would have killed me the look of the pixels on such a large screen. 2560x1600rez is perfect for 30" or maybe 33" but no bigger.

The Dell 27" is nice, just hard to get used to, but in Team Fortress 2 looks nice, no ghosting and nice colors.

Good points, thank God I did not go with the Westinghouse 37", that would have killed me the look of the pixels on such a large screen. 2560x1600rez is perfect for 30" or maybe 33" but no bigger.

If you don't sit with your face 12 inches from the screen, you won't even notice the larger dot pitch, guaranteed.

You simply won't understand how much bigger and still crisp, a large lcd can be, unless you have used one. I played some games on my pal's 42" at 1920x1080, and trust me, it wasn't pixelated or blocky.

I got the 37" due to my desk size.....

So my advice if you only have one main gaming system, get a 30" LCD with 2560x1600rez and don't look back the higher rez is so worth it :D

MY advice is to get a 37" 1080p LCD and act snobbish to the little baby displays at 30" or less.....:D

And have fun running Crysis or most newer games at 2560x1600 with max details, including AA and AF. At that res, even CoD4 struggles with IQ maxed....of course, if you are playing Counterstrike, that does not matter. ;)

MY advice is to get a 37" 1080p LCD and act snobbish to the little baby displays at 30" or less.....:D

And have fun running Crysis or most newer games at 2560x1600 with max details, including AA and AF. At that res, even CoD4 struggles with IQ maxed....of course, if you are playing Counterstrike, that does not matter. ;)

I don't play CrySissy, that game blows good graphics or not, gameplay is what counts for me, and it feels like another run of the mill shooter, but bad code. COD4 I play 2560x1600rez 2xAA/16xAF, and it sure feels smooth enough for me, not sure what my FPS

Sure you can have your large screen, but I have more rez, can see two full web pages side to side and top to bottom, so there :p

dot pitch (the size of individual pixels) is entirely subjective and viewing distance has a direct impact of your perception of whether a dot pitch is acceptable. lower is not always better, depending on how far away you're sitting from the screen. for example I had a 17" notebook with a 1920x1200 screen which has a miniscule dot pitch, but it was acceptable because i was using it with the screen only 12-18" from my eyes. later I upgraded to a Westy 1920x1080 37" screen. the dot pitch was more than double the notebook's LCD, but since I was viewing it from a more comfortable 30-40" it was still just as crisp if not moreso than the 17" screen with the same resolution.

So in long run just get whats comfortable to you and your environment(distance between you and the monitor)

So in long run just get whats comfortable to you and your environment(distance between you and the monitor)

Good point, I have my two systems on my custom made oak Mission style long desk. The total width of the desk is less than 28", so from my eyes to 30" Display it is probably approx 18"-24" away. And I have really gotten used to the 2560x1600rez, and seeing two full web pages at once, and all the real estate.

Different strokes for different folks

Back