There a problem with CoreTemp 0.95 and AMD Turions?

Ravynmagi

[H]ard|Gawd
I just got a new laptop with an AMD TL-50 Turion. I've been using CoreTemp 0.95 to monitor temps while messing around with the laptop.

Occasionally the laptop will lockup or even just power off. At first I thought it might have been overheating or a memory problem or something. But I'm noticing these lockups and shutdowns only happen when CoreTemp is running. And also CoreTemp sometimes crashes.

Curious if anyone else has had this problem? I'm doing a bit more testing, doing everything I can to crash the laptop when CoreTemp isn't running. I'll probably then do some test with CoreTemp 0.94. I wanna be absolutely sure CoreTemp is the problem and I don't have some bad hardware or driver problem or something else I haven't tracked down yet.

YES!

It seems to be very rare but it does happen. I first discovered the problem on the following setup:

Athlon X2 3800+ (Manchester) s939
eVGA NF41 SLI
4x512MB PC3200

When I first began overclocking the machine I would do what most everyone else does - leave orthos running and have coretemp running in the background so I could come by and monitor temps once in awhile. Well I really started getting pissed off because no matter what I did I couldn't get the machine stable - hell even at stock clocks it would just randomly freeze or power off completely. (90% of the time it would power off) It wasn't until weeks later that I discovered the problem was coretemp.exe being left running in the background. Once I stopped leaving coretemp running I had no problems with stability and was able to continue my clock testing process normally.

I have only heard of this happening to a few other people, so seeing your post just goes one further to letting me know I'm not absolutely batshit crazy. :D

Another YES!

My P5W DH + E6600 crashes instantly (at stock speed) when running CoreTemp 0.95, while 0.94 runs fine...

On another rig I am building for a friend (P5N-E SLI, E6600), CoreTemp 0.95 dont crash instantly, unless I start it WHILE SpeedFan 4.32 is starting too. Starting both together is the fastest way to reboot the rig :)

I had not reported the P5W failure to Arthur Liberman because I want to test it first using a clean ghost image (maybe my current system partition is "OverCorrupted" :p , or the problem is the interaction with another software), but the uncertain info may be useful here now...

Anyway, CoreTemp is a great tool.

Back