• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

There 3TB 280MB/s "tapes"?

Trackr

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Feb 10, 2011
Messages
1,786
I was searching for a 3TB HDD on eBay, seeing as how the prices on Newegg have skyrocketed 50%..

When I found this:
http://www.backupworks.com/tdk-lto5-uiltrium-61857.aspx

I'm well aware that it's for QHD video recording, but it's still insane for the price.

It's a 1.5TB "tape" with 280MB/s transfer speeds for 50$.

Isn't there any way to strap a SATA cable onto that things? :D
 
Though the 1 hour seek times if your file is on the other end of the tape dampen the appeal a little.
 
I was searching for a 3TB HDD on eBay, seeing as how the prices on Newegg have skyrocketed 50%..

When I found this:
http://www.backupworks.com/tdk-lto5-uiltrium-61857.aspx

I'm well aware that it's for QHD video recording, but it's still insane for the price.

It's a 1.5TB "tape" with 280MB/s transfer speeds for 50$.

Isn't there any way to strap a SATA cable onto that things? :D

Its a standard LTO5 tape. The only issue with LTO5 is that you need something fast enough to feed the tape drive, or you end up shoeshining your tape and tape heads, and end up wasting a lot of space with padded nulls. There aren't any SATA drives, but lots of SAS.
 
That's what D2D2T systems are for.

But yeah if you need a single file fast from a tape drive you are doing something wrong with your backup process.
 
I use LTO3 (400GB) for backup/archival and since the prices of HDDs skyrocketed it's price per GB has become very attractive. 5 brand new tapes can be had for under $100, transfer speed is around 80MB a second.
 
I use LTO3 (400GB) for backup/archival and since the prices of HDDs skyrocketed it's price per GB has become very attractive. 5 brand new tapes can be had for under $100, transfer speed is around 80MB a second.

Even better Price/Gig with LTO4. I just purchased a 20 Pack of brand new LTO4 Tapes on Ebay for $500. 16TB of uncompressed storage for $500 comes to about $31.50 a Terabyte, which at todays drive costs is a hell of a bargain. Native backup speeds of about 5GB/Minute, compressible stuff almost 8GB/minute.
 
Yeah I'm waiting on a good deal on LTO4 gear, probably in a couple years. I'm kinda cheap. Tape is good peace of mind, alot more trustworthy than cheap giant SATA drives I think.
 
I got a LTO3 with 8 slot magazine running backups at work, Full+Incremental, load up 7tapes and 1 cleaning for set it and forget it backups on top of raid 5 arrays.
 
LTO tapes are used for archival purposes and not for recording video. They are not general purpose storage due to the limited number of passes that they can endure and the lack of random reads/writes (and the cost). They are best suited to sitting in an autoloader in a rack. Should you ever have to deal with tapes in large numbers, you may not be a fan, especially if someone forgot to label them. LTO-5 is usually SAS and you will find most of the predecessors in SCSI. Unlike what one poster said, seeking does not take an hour, shouldn't take more than about a minute to go from one end of the tape to the other. I also wouldn't count on the 2:1 compression being reliable...don't expect more than about 1.2:1 in practice. I used to have a tape drive in my workstation, but as the name implies, this was at work, so don't really count on them ever being practical in desktops.
 
Yeah I wouldn't want one in my desktop box. Mines in an HP StorageWorks box with a 4 drive RAID5, uses iSCSI and a web interface to present a virtual tape library. It's quite simple to use really, labeling them isn't a problem for the volume I deal with, it's strictly archival.
 
All of mine are barcoded and numbered.. Makes finding the right one easy.
I inherited that at work. We had barcodes on them, but finding a box of nearly 100 tapes to go through sucks when they aren't documented. :p
 
I inherited that at work. We had barcodes on them, but finding a box of nearly 100 tapes to go through sucks when they aren't documented. :p

Symbol makes a small wireless barcode unit, they are about $200 on ebay. I will look up the model and edit this post tomorrow, but it lets you add notes to its internal memory so all you have to do is scan the tape and it will pop up the relevant info.
 
Symbol makes a small wireless barcode unit, they are about $200 on ebay. I will look up the model and edit this post tomorrow, but it lets you add notes to its internal memory so all you have to do is scan the tape and it will pop up the relevant info.
Wouldn't worry about it. I've since left that position. Had a nice barcode scanner at the job after that though...made tracking assets a breeze.
 
So, will this thing work with my Perc 5/i.. and if so, where do I get it?
 
you have to remember one thing
thats just the tape, you still need an lto-5 drive, even bare ones dont come for less then 2k $
also the speed is a hoax, its compresed speed, aka most likely wont happen in case of anything compresed, so its just 140mb/s
though, if you need 50,100,150tb, even with some 4-8 tape loader, going tape will be cheaper then hdds today
 
Another big benefit (more for business needs than personal) is that you get that speed (up to 550GB/Hour uncompressed/1TB/hour compressed) with AES-256 encryption and no write penalty for either.
 
Back
Top