Theoretical question

RussianHAXOR

Supreme [H]ardness
Do you guys think that a 750TX could pull two 9800GX2s? I think its possible... my friend disagrees. Am i giving corsair too much credit for this PSU? I just havent really seen the limits of this PSU.

That depends entirely on the rest of the system. If it's a C2D/C2Q, a single HDD, and limited oc'ing there won't be a problem.

When I was asking, they told me it could hang with 2 4870x2's, so I would say go for it. The difference in the cards is negligible on power draw, IIRC.

It may work but if the PSU has 'aged' much (ie if its a year or 2 old and has been used for that time), it may not be able to give its full power output.
Running a PSU near it limit will cause it to wear even faster, potentially leading to PSU failure.
When a PSU dies it can kill anything connected to it.

So it may work but you take a risk.
Its not a good idea to push a PSU to its limit.

See this page for some compatible PSU's.
http://forums.legitreviews.com/about14756.html
The lowest recommended PSU for SLI GX2 is 850W, most are 1KW or higher!

My bad, but everything else I stated is valid.

It may work but if the PSU has 'aged' much (ie if its a year or 2 old and has been used for that time), it may not be able to give its full power output.
Running a PSU near it limit will cause it to wear even faster, potentially leading to PSU failure.
When a PSU dies it can kill anything connected to it.

So it may work but you take a risk.
Its not a good idea to push a PSU to its limit.

See this page for some compatible PSU's.
http://forums.legitreviews.com/about14756.html
The lowest recommended PSU for SLI GX2 is 850W, most are 1KW or higher!

I know all this, but i was just trying to prove the fact that it will work. I dont expect it to be something that id overclock or run like 10 HDD and an OCd quad. but it should work...

What i did is go on the nvidia site and look for their lowest "certified" PSU. And there was an 800watt mushkin... which makes me think that if they can certify an 800 watt with almost the exact same specs as the Corsair, there should be no problem running the Corsair(hypothetically speaking).

I dont plan on trading in my 260 for GX2's but it was more of an arguement with him. Glad to know i was right and that he's the noob(as usual). :D

All that truly matters is actual 12v amperage capability. The 750TX is quite capable in that respect.

[H]'s Quad-SLI article measured two GX2s pulling 637W from the wall, which works out to around 520W DC. The TX750 can handle that easily.

I try to, but the smartest people tend to also be the biggest idiots at times. I've just learned to whom to ask which questions. :cool:

This is the important thing. I might be the smartest person in my family when it comes to computers, but I have relatives that are doctors, lawyers, mechanics, etc.

Unfortunately, being "good with computers" means you are free tech support for family for life. It's not such a big deal, though. I'm happy to help. Provided that my doctor/lawyer/mechanic questions are answered as well.

Wouldn't want to point to a particularly bad rash on my leg and ask my cousin the doctor what it was, only to hear "Oh, sorry. I look at skin rashes all day at work, I really don't feel like looking at your leg right now." even though I know that's how he feels. Because I set up his whole home network and fixed his wireless interference issue, as well as built his kids two little computers with spare parts I had. For a few thousand dollars worth of work, Cousin Marty can look at my weird leg rash.

(No worries - it wasn't anything serious. My leg is not going to fall off. Though maybe if I had a peg-leg it'd be more appropriate for me to pretend to be a pirate on the internet...)

(No worries - it wasn't anything serious. My leg is not going to fall off. Though maybe if I had a peg-leg it'd be more appropriate for me to pretend to be a pirate on the internet...)

On the internet you can pretend to be anything without any prerequisites :D.

This is the important thing. I might be the smartest person in my family when it comes to computers, but I have relatives that are doctors, lawyers, mechanics, etc.

Unfortunately, being "good with computers" means you are free tech support for family for life. It's not such a big deal, though. I'm happy to help. Provided that my doctor/lawyer/mechanic questions are answered as well.

Wouldn't want to point to a particularly bad rash on my leg and ask my cousin the doctor what it was, only to hear "Oh, sorry. I look at skin rashes all day at work, I really don't feel like looking at your leg right now." even though I know that's how he feels. Because I set up his whole home network and fixed his wireless interference issue, as well as built his kids two little computers with spare parts I had. For a few thousand dollars worth of work, Cousin Marty can look at my weird leg rash.

That's a great point, and you never want to alienate your family. I have built machines for my mother, mother in law, sister, and sister in law, along with re-wire and connect DirecTV, a computer, and new phones in my grandmother in law's home, all in the last couple months. I figure I owe them all, I get free daycare for a 3 month old :eek:

oh lord, dont i know it... i am free tech support for almost everyone thats close to me... GF and Family...

Back