The year is 2015, you have $1000 to spend on a single monitor, what do you buy?

Fiftysixk

n00b
I want to experiment with a want/need thread for your perfect monitor. Within reason, lets say its ~2 years from now and you have $1000 to spend on a new monitor that is top of the line. Considering where display tech is headed in the next couple years, What is available? What specs? What configurations? What do you need in a new monitor?

Its easy, post a list of specs or even a simple description of an imaginary monitor.

Have fun!

Within reason, lets say its ~2 years from now and you have $1000 to spend on a new monitor that is top of the line. Considering where display tech is headed in the next couple years, What is available? What specs? What configurations?

derivatives from the same tech that we're using now, bigger rez, and all the same problems that we're used to. oled still expensive.

I guess it's possible LightBoost may find its way to IPS by 2015, but otherwise I am not sure any real new tech will be available by then. They'll probably push some 3D effect, or extra bright LEDs, insane dynamic contrast numbers or thin bezels as the amazing new tech 'breakthrough'.

Last edited:
OLED will still be a silly purchase in 2015. For $1000 I'd want a display that could run at least 20,000 hours before burning out. It's going to take many years before OLED is refined to have such longevity.

120hz+ Strobing backlight IPS with voltage gradient to remove LED instant on/off effect. That would be the FW900 of LCD technology - its final incarnation before being phased out.

My ideal would be an ultrawide 32:9 with at least 1200pixel height. I think that's possibly past the limitations of a single cable, though I might be wrong. Maybe we need a monitor that has 2 inputs on a single panel?

Or at the very least a 21:9 with 2800x1200 pixels.

I cant wait until a single monitor can replace my surround/eyefinity. Not just for gaming too, I also need it for music production, lots of side scrolling with audio editing.

I'll be very surprised if in a year and 8 months there are consumer 4K monitors for $1K.
*drum roll*

(Cue the big celebration parade, with dozens of trumpets and cymbals)

$1499 -- shipping today -- Seiki 4K HDTV -- 50 inches!
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7674736

I fully expect desktop sized 4K panels to hit the magic $1000 level by 2015. The 4K premium won't last long, mark my words. It's just a slow version of Moore's Law in panels. Retina displays for smartphones are getting cheap, and the prices for retina panels on laptops are falling quickly too. Monitor size panels aren't far behind, IMHO -- especially after Apple launches a 4K computer monitor, followed by lots of Chinese/Korean competitors.

Wanna to bet a whole 4K monitor, that the 1K price level will happen by Boxing Day Sale 2015? Thought not. :)

Mark, you do realize that HDTV =/= computer monitor?

That 4K HDTV you linked to -- as I already pointed out in its [H]otDeals thread -- is only 4K@30hz due to limited input types available, which is horrible for a computer monitor outside of movie watching and for extra screen real estate. I wouldn't work @ 30hz myself...

As for $1000 in 2015, I'd probably spend it on either

1) A 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 120hz/3D S-IPS monitor

or

2) Google Glass (by then, hopefully integrated into computer OS use)

If the going trends are any indication, quantity > quality with consumers, and innovation is ignored over "more of the same".

*drum roll*

(Cue the big celebration parade, with dozens of trumpets and cymbals)

$1499 -- shipping today -- Seiki 4K HDTV -- 50 inches!
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7674736

I fully expect desktop sized 4K panels to hit the magic $1000 level by 2015. The 4K premium won't last long, mark my words. It's just a slow version of Moore's Law in panels. Retina displays for smartphones are getting cheap, and the prices for retina panels on laptops are falling quickly too. Monitor size panels aren't far behind, IMHO -- especially after Apple launches a 4K computer monitor, followed by lots of Chinese/Korean competitors.

Wanna to bet a whole 4K monitor, that the 1K price level will happen by Boxing Day Sale 2015? Thought not. :)

Actually read that listing. That monitor might output 4K, but it is upsampling and doesn't take a 4K native input.

If I had money I'd take that bet. There isn't a 4K native TV on sale now that is affordable...maybe in 2 product years there will be 4K native TVs that are 50" and $5000 on floors at BestBuy. No way in hell there will be a 4K computer monitor that is $1K. Even 1600p panels are still above $1K and have been around for sale for 7 years.

HDMI 1.4 does support 4K (which is an input featured on that TV)... but at 30hz, hence my post. It's for movie & TV watching more than anything else.

Nothing. Everything will probably still have terrible black levels.

Everything doesn't have terrible black levels at the moment, unless you're talking computer monitors only. Try a DLP projector, Laservue, or Plasma if you're concerned with black levels so much. If you are though, you really should be looking at TV or projector, not a monitor. There's no "perfect" display panel or type, else we'd all have it and wouldn't need so many options.

I'd have included OLED in the above list, but that weird "swampy effect" during all-black screens kills it atm. Also, PVA monitors are few and far between nowadays. Dunno by 2015...

HDMI 1.4 does support 4K (which is an input featured on that TV)... but at 30hz, hence my post. It's for movie & TV watching more than anything else.

Do you actually know it supports v1.4? Because I didn't see that tidbit listed. Usually with anything marketed, unless it says it explicitly it isn't native, and only does the bare minimum. Especially given the fact the panel still sports a VGA input.

It doesn't say whether HDMI 1.3 or 1.4 in specs sheet or manual, but it's a safe assumption to make considering 1.3 only supports 2560x1600 @ 60hz. It'd need one helluva internal upscaler to get 4K @ 30hz out of that, and the manual makes mention of needing the HDMI input for that resolution (else why not just upscale all inputs to 4K?).

See: http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/Seiki SE50UY04 4K2K LED HDTV Data Sheet.pdf and http://static.highspeedbackbone.net/pdf/Seiki SE50UY04 4K2K LED HDTV Manual.pdf

Everything doesn't have terrible black levels at the moment, unless you're talking computer monitors only. Also, PVA monitors are few and far between nowadays. Dunno by 2015...

Considering the fact that the OP asked about monitors, I'd think most replying here probably would be talking about monitors. Plasma will be great for blacks, but they don't particularly make great monitors.

I also wouldn't say VA is few and far between exactly. BenQ and Samsung have several VA models. Dell makes at least one and they pop up from other manufacturers, including NEC and Eizo. They aren't nearly as common as IPS, but if someone wants one, they certainly can be found. Perhaps in 2 years that is where some improvement will be made, not in black levels, but in VA angles/response rates.

Nothing.
I don't think there will ever be 120 Hz IPS monitors.
I bet we will still have crappy 1080p TN monitors in 2094.

Yes i'm frustrated that it's taking so long for 120 Hz IPS monitors to come out ^^

Do you actually know it supports v1.4? Because I didn't see that tidbit listed. Usually with anything marketed, unless it says it explicitly it isn't native, and only does the bare minimum. Especially given the fact the panel still sports a VGA input.

http://www.hdmi.org/learningcenter/trademark_logo_pub.aspx

Manufacturers are now encouraged not to advertise what version of HDMI they are using. Apparently, the solution for having too many variations is to not allow anyone to talk about it.

Actually read that listing. That monitor might output 4K, but it is upsampling and doesn't take a 4K native input.
Actually, it natively accepts:
2160p native @ 30Hz
1080p native @ 120Hz

It's still a native 4K panel, and that's where the $$$ cost of 4K is.
3840x2160 = exactly four times the bandwidth of 1080p, so the refresh rates make sense.
There's updates to Displayport and HDMI that will allow 4K @ 60Hz.
Apple's Thunderbolt port has the bandwidth for 4K, and more PC's will have Thunderbolt by end of 2015.
There's many standards that can come out between now and then.

The point remains, is that 4K LCD panels will become cheap quicker than many people think.

Actually, it natively accepts:
2160p native @ 30Hz
1080p native @ 120Hz

It's still a native 4K panel, and that's where the $$$ cost of 4K is.
3840x2160 = exactly four times the bandwidth of 1080p, so the refresh rates make sense.
There's updates to Displayport and HDMI that will allow 4K @ 60Hz.
Apple's Thunderbolt port has the bandwidth for 4K, and more PC's will have Thunderbolt by end of 2015.
There's many standards that can come out between now and then.

The point remains, is that 4K LCD panels will become cheap quicker than many people think.

I think you might be right about 4K panels becoming cheaper than some people think, but only if they're brought to use by Chinese manufacturers. The Japanese and Korean panel manufacturers are not in any way interested in giving us anything cheap--they only seem interested in providing OEM panels to the largest resellers.

LG, Sharp, and Samsung (maybe? haven't seen any word about 4k PLS panels yet) might be producing panels but I sincerely doubt those are going to be the ones that will be affordable.

Dell UltraSharp IPS, 27" or 30", 1600p resolution.

(doable by that point? Then again I won't be spending that much on a monitor... probably $400 max, so we shall see!)

A 30" 1600p monitor with LED backlight, capable of overclocking to 120hz.

Talk about a thread bound to be zombified...

My prediction is 4k resolution, and really good 3D. It will drive the GPU and gaming industry, which needs to be done since we are plateauing. Also things will get bigger to take advantage of the extra pixels, a welcome change.

On a side note, when I bought my 60" HDTV there was really nothing bigger available other than those large DLPs and 3D was just coming out, if I had waited a year or two I could have gotten a 70" or larger with 3D. But I was upgrading from a 480p TV and it was the best deal I could find. At this point I probably will wait to upgrade to a 80"+ monitor after 4k and 3D is mainstream, which will take at least 2 years IMO.

A 100 Hz VA monitor with an officially supported, well-working strobing or scanning backlight.

I'd settle for an 85 Hz VA panel if the backlight was similar to a CRT when it comes to flickering noticeability. The few extra milliseconds time that 85Hz provides might help in the difficult problem of getting the pixels to respond between the strobes ;)

VA instead of IPS, after response time and motion blur problems are solved contrast is king when it comes to picture quality. Just ask any Pioneer Kuro owners :)

Back