the X10 firecracker start kit is free again!

Originally posted by Qwertyman
what's the catch though because it seems a little suspicious to me.
No catch. I've done this twice already and I'm headed for a third time. I see no reason to buy modules if they are going to keep giving them away.

i got 3 kits last time it was offered..

hopefully i can get 3 or 4 kits this time.

they are pretty cool, especially because I live in a 100 year old home so we have mostly table lamps instead of overhead fixtures.

so rather than walking around the room turning on 3 lamps just hit the remote and they're all on or off.. it'll be really fun once I setup the HTPC to control everything.

ive been reading it and what i dont get is how do u get the lamp signal to the reciever?

Originally posted by palabared
ive been reading it and what i dont get is how do u get the lamp signal to the reciever?
X10 is a powerline data protocol. Everything is controlled via data sent over your household 110v wiring. All modules have unique addresses and the controller broadcasts instructions over your entire home wiring to turn on/off lights and appliances, set thermostats, open/close curtains, and a myriad of other stuff. It's pretty neat but has actually been around for a LONG time, at least 15-20 years.

Who cares if you have to pay $6 :rolleyes: It's still a pretty hot deal. I ordered mine:D Thanks for the heads up, like stated before, it'll be cool having everything controlled by the HTPC ;)

says " Limit 1 Per Customer. "

and it only comes with one module...so if u want to control more than one lamp or device, u'll need to buy them, and that's how they make money.

Originally posted by MoFoQ
says " Limit 1 Per Customer. "

and it only comes with one module...so if u want to control more than one lamp or device, u'll need to buy them, and that's how they make money.

123 fake street Apt A1

123 fake street Apt B2

etc etc..., just keep changing the apt number, and you should be fine.

well i order one, then have each of my 2 roommates order one, and anyone else i can find who is willing to order them for me.

and the transmitter is also a module.. so you sort of get 2 modules/kit.

It comes with two modules - a lamp module and transciever module, which is also controllable.

I got this last time, lost the remote, so i'm getting another one. thanks.

hmm...simpsons ("123 fake st.")

but your billing address and info might be logged (if they were smart).

thanks again, just ordered three more... i love the kit i got earlier! I wish they would have a free deal on just the on off switch boxes:D P.S. shipping is fast!

Originally posted by palabared
how long does it normally take?

I'm assuming it'd be like anything else you order off the internet. Their site, upon checkout, said they shipp the items out within 2-3 days, so i'd assume i'd be on your doorstep in about a week.

so you have to keep paying $6 dollars a pop for extra modules when it only comes with just one to control one device with?

Originally posted by flexnit
so you have to keep paying $6 dollars a pop for extra modules when it only comes with just one to control one device with?
No, it comes with two modules. On is a lamp module and the other is a relay module that can switch larger loads. The relay module just has the transciever built in. $6 for two modules isn't bad. Hell, $6 shipped for one module isn't bad. Paying $6 is better than paying (price of module) + $6 shipping for a module.

cool. i guess what I'm really asking is, if you order this kit, will it be able to turn all your ceiling lights on or off throughout the house or will you have to order a separate device for each room that you want to turn the lights on and off in. I could care less about lamps and stuff, I just want to be able to do the bedroom, living room, bathroom lights on and off.

sorry for my ignorance, thanks for the info.

This free kit only includes the lamp module. For ceiling lights that are hardwired through a wall switch, you would need to buy X10 wall switches to replace your current wall switches. They are available at Lowes, Home Depot, and any number of online sites including eBay. Same for appliance outlets, dimmers, curtain/blinds controllers, thermostats, and the tons of other X10-enabled devices on the market.

This kit is just a basic "get acquainted with X10" kit to demonstrate how it works and get you started, hoping you'll be interested enough to spend money on additional components. Most modules aren't terribly expensive, especially if you just buy one here and one there.

The modules in this kit are things that you plug into a wall outlet and then you can plug a lamp or whatever into it. They aren't for turning stuff on and off that you would normally do with a light switch. They do have modules like that, though, that basically replace a light switch. All the modules are compatible, so if you got this kit and a couple light switch modules then you could control them all from the same remote. You will need a separate module for each thing you want to control, but you only need a single remote control(or however many you want) to control all of them. Here is a wall switch module. Smarthome has a lot of X10 and other home automation stuff, and their site is much more bearable than x10's. It's a good system, but it'll cost a bit to get started.

so what exactly am i getting? I only ordered one.. you can order more??

They called me to confirm also.. Kinda odd..

You're getting a lamp module, a transceiver, a remote control for stand-alone control, and a PC controller with software for controlling your X10 network via PC.

Think of it as an X10 starter kit.

As was mentioned, Smarthome.com is a great source of all things X10, but their prices leave a lot to be desired. You can shop around at Smarthome to find items you're interested in, but before buying search for the same part elsewhere because you'll likely save money (unless it's a really esoteric part that nobody else carries).

ive been buying all my x10 stuff on ebay. got a firecracker for shipping and then bought tons of stuff from ebay for really cheap. Just a fyi Lowes carries this stuff too. I think they are too high on price, but you can go in and see the stuff there.

Just to let you guys know, i TRIED to order 2 orders of this deal, and it would only let the first go through

BUT, in the notice i recieved when they revoked the second order, they gave me a $15 gift certificate code for future purchases.

anyone check there admin. services folder and see x10 in the services panel? i did and its still there. damn spyware site

well, I ordered one.

Question, does this come with all the stuff you need to control the lights via the computer?

Back