The worst overhyped games of 2008

LOL. Probably THE MOST hyped game this gen.

This gen? That definitely goes to Halo 3 with the way people lined up outside of stores for it, and they had real "release events." I sincerely doubt that will happen with KZ2, if only because of the sheer amount of 360 owners vs PS3 owners.

This gen? That definitely goes to Halo 3 with the way people lined up outside of stores for it, and they had real "release events." I sincerely doubt that will happen with KZ2, if only because of the sheer amount of 360 owners vs PS3 owners.

Since E3 2005, this has been hyped to the hilt. KZ2 hype far exceeds Halo 3 hype. The gaming world has been revolving around the graphic hype of KZ2. From what I have seen so far, KZ2 looks good, but it isn't matching the hype.

Either way, it's a day 1 pick up for me.

'cept you can't play insane without beating it on Hardcore (maybe other modes work, but you gotta beat the game first). Lie much?

Soul Calibur 4
Spore
GTA4

I didn't say I went right home and played on insane now did I ? I love people on here who choose to assume things. Choose your words wisely before calling somebody out for being a liar. That is the reason I've been a member for what 7 years now, and don't have a lot of posts. --Kids these days sheesh :rolleyes:

Since E3 2005, this has been hyped to the hilt. KZ2 hype far exceeds Halo 3 hype. The gaming world has been revolving around the graphic hype of KZ2. From what I have seen so far, KZ2 looks good, but it isn't matching the hype.

Either way, it's a day 1 pick up for me.

At this point, Halo3 had far more media and advertising than KZ2.

The local news programs had interviews with campers in line for Halo3 !

I guarantee that's not happening for KZ2. Of course it's got a lot of hype among enthusiasts, but it's flying low on the radar compared to Halo 3. But KZ2 seems to have much higher expectations placed on it. Maybe that's what you mean ?

The local news programs had interviews with campers in line for Halo3 !

I assume people aren't waiting in lines quite yet for KZ2. It's a tad early. But yes, you are correct. I am talking about the entire hard core gaming community. Not casual gamers, and not things such as local news and "lines".

I suspect that we won't see KZ2 details on CNN or your local news the night before it's release, nor lines similar to H3.

You guys are crazy...

Far Cry 2 was the best off-road driving game of the year...:D

...but yeah, as a FPS it blows.

I think Spore is gonna win this one. anybody get a count yet?

oh and yeah, +1 for me, in that count.

I agree 100%. All you hear is how great it's going to look. That's nice.....but how will it PLAY. The original Killzone was an OK game but nothing to write home about.

When was this thread about sales?
With that argument, take The Force Unleashed right off your list because that sold very, very well.

Hmm, I guess my friends and I are are smarter than the average game buyer then because nobody I know bought that terd of a game. :D

Assassin's Creed and Too Human.

Halo 3 is over hyped, but I actually liked it, and think it deserved some of it's hype. That is the same with GTA4.

Too Human. I remember waiting for months for this game. The demo came out and I tried really hard to overlook the gameplay flaws, telling myself that surely they'd be ironed out come release. I was wrong. Very disappointing.

I can't believe that no body mentioned CoD5 until the fourth page. Seriously, every CoD game has gotten steadily worse since the first one. It's going to be the next Madden like game where they can just hash out some minor update every year and make a ton of money. Wow, we can play the exact same game but with different teams, I mean armies.

I can already envision the next installment. CoD 6: Future Warfare. It follows some conflict between, lets say China, US, and Pakistan. You start out as a lowly private for one army. You run around following the directions of your NPC commanding officer and that shiny gold star, shooting at endless hordes of dumb enemies that don't seem to stop coming at you until you advance. You then randomly switch to a character from another army, do the same thing again, then switch back and forth a few more times at arbitrary points in the time line. Throw in a couple sideshow missions, like being a sniper or airplane gunner where, guess what, you follow some guy's orders some more. The whole purpose of these extra missions being to break up the mindless advancing and running for cover. Cue up the final mission which seems to put a nice, fuzzy ending to the conflict.

You think killzone 2 is over-hyped? Ooohh! It's just getting started. We haven't seen hyped yet.

Little big planet, MGS4 (I know I'll get a lot of slack for it, but I could not find what's so interesting about 15min long cut scenes), Spore, and Fable 2. All of these I've had high expectations, which were crushed within the first hour of gameplay. Luckily, there was Fallout 3 last year ;).

Assassin's Creed and Too Human.
AC came out in 2007. This is a thread about games that came out in 2008.

As for Too Human being overhyped, I think it's debatable. Not because it was good, but because Microsoft got kinda quiet about it towards the end. It had a long-time hype machine, which I'm not sure I think is the same as overhyping. Is Duke Nukem Forever overhyped? If it's not, why have we all heard of it?

MIrror's Edge is my own personal pick. It got completely overhyped, and the final "game" was more of a tech demo - sort of like Heavenly Sword, now that I think of it.

Fallout 3. Yes, get ready to stone me, but it was the biggest waste of money for me since I bought Gothic 3.

AC came out in 2007. This is a thread about games that came out in 2008.

As for Too Human being overhyped, I think it's debatable. Not because it was good, but because Microsoft got kinda quiet about it towards the end. It had a long-time hype machine, which I'm not sure I think is the same as overhyping. Is Duke Nukem Forever overhyped? If it's not, why have we all heard of it?

MIrror's Edge is my own personal pick. It got completely overhyped, and the final "game" was more of a tech demo - sort of like Heavenly Sword, now that I think of it.

Ah, I don't really keep track of time of releases. So I guess AC is off the list. But it was way overhyped in any case.

As for Too Human being over hyped or not, I think it was. Before release it was pretty big, but after release and imo lousy gameplay, it was discarded. Almost like the Lair game for PS3. Another POS but thats 2007, i believe.

Granted I haven't bought THAT many games this year, but I don't think I've truly been let down by any of them. Castlevania: Order of Ecclessia wasn't that great, but that's really only comparing it with the previous games. It was still pretty good. If I had to choose one, it would get my vote, though.
GTA4 lacked the sheer size and depth of San Andreas, but made up for it with little details and a tighter story. I definitely enjoyed the hell out of it and put in plenty of hours.

Back