The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt Gameplay Performance Review @ [H]

1.) Thanks for the article. Very well laid out and thorough.

2.) Just out of curiosity, if you were to speculate--how much of the field leveling (if any at all) is due to the patches to Witcher 3 and how much is due to the newest driver set? "No clue" is a totally acceptable answer. :)

More so to do with game patches IMO. There have been many updates to HairWorks since game launch, several patches have included performance improvements for HairWorks.

Kinda wish they would widen the card selection. Lowest priced card is $200, highest is like $650 unless you count the titanX.

Im all for reading a good article on the latest game and how this years cards stack up, but look at the viewers:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/videocard/

The most popular config on steam is 1 gig of vram.

Thank you for including the 970 and 960, that accounts for around 6% of the community. Im still amazed at the popularity of the 970.

Still throw us a bone and tell us what a $100 750 or 360 gets us.

I don't even have cards that low. Our readership isn't that responsive to very low-end video card reviews. Also, this took 2 weeks to do 10 cards and what you see there. To include more would take more time we simply cannot spend on one article.

That said, I would love to see a performance evaluation with the Radeon 4870, 5870, 6970, 7970Ghz, R9-290x, Fury-X, and see how it correlates with the GTX280, GTX480, GTX580, GTX680, GTX780-Ti, and GTX980-Ti. It would be great to see which generation saw the biggest jump from the last.

Generational articles are something I'd consider. However, the logistics putting such an article together both having the hardware on hand, and the time to do it, haven't yet come together. Proirity must be put on AIB card reviews unless we have a gap we need to fill. Still, this is of interest to me personally as well, I personally like to see how far generations have improved. The natural issue will be driver availability and issues with games on older hardware.

I read the review and, as usual, very well written and informative, but I have to question your "Highest Playable Settings" results. If I want to max out all settings, what resolution should I play at? I care more about having all the bells and whistles on and maybe play at 1080p vs. playing at a higher resolution, but have to turn stuff down/off.

So can you run the Witcher 3 at 1080p with everything max and Hairworks and keep acceptable frame rates?

Yes on a GTX 980 and up.

I'm agreeing with you.

I don't understand why they tested the Apples to Apples at higher settings than their "Max" Titan X settings.

What I'm guessing is that the actual playable settings were almost identical between the 980 TI and Titan X. I mean they raised the IQ and the FPS was still within 2 FPS. So I'd expect at lower IQ those differences would be closer. We don't know because they didn't test that, they instead raised the IQ to "unplayable" settings and benched that instead.

Just for the record, we posted 2 ways of ap2ap.

One with max settings, to push the GPUs and prove it is not playable, so you have that data to compare to.

Second, we tested ap2ap with Gameworks features OFF, which are lower settings, and less demanding, so you can compare that way.

So, 2 different ap2ap results, one high, one low, for a more complete picture at performance.

Back