The witcher 2 wont start

jonneymendoza

Supreme [H]ardness
I just bought this game today and not a good start im afraid. The game doesnt seem to run at all.

i tried to install it twice and after it finishes installing, i tried to launch the game from the desktop shortcut icon for the game and it wont load!

wont respond, wont do anything after clicking several times. i even tried launching the launcher.exe icon from the games install path and stil nothing.

if it helps i am using windows 7 64bit with a 480gtx card, i7 920 cpu and 6gb ddr3 ram.

any suggestions?

Is Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable installed? The Launcher requires it.

If not run the game from the "witcher2.exe" instead.

Go to their site and download the latest patch also, 1.2 I believe. The installation from the CD should have also installed the C++ redistributable. The initial release had issues starting and such so that that a file that came with the GoG version was allowed to be distributed as it seemed to clear up the issue before a complete patch could go out. Just download and install the latest patch and you should be golden.

Tark

edit: tried to install the patch and it said the installed game version is invalid or incomplete?

edit: pic of the last screen i see before itdissapears without any error

witcher2.png

Make sure the launcher and any associated processes are completely closed when installing the patch (ctrl+alt+del -> processes). Are you trying to install patch 1.1 or 1.2? 1.1 fixed some issues with the launcher I believe.

Are you running as administrator when installing? (right click on setup, run as admin). I dunno, I'm just grasping at straws. If all else fails, have a look through the FAQ, if nothing helps contact the support links. It seems CDProjekt like to keep good relations with their community so they should hopefully be helpful.

http://www.en.thewitcher.com/support/

Looking at the FAQ I see this mentioned...

"Installed game version is invalid or incomplete"

Error with invalid or incomplete game version occurs in cases when wrong patch version is being applied to the game, or when the game for some reason cannot find all the necessary files. It can happen if the game was installed in catalogue named using diactric signs, which are not recognized with currenty Windows language settings. It is also caused by changing the default location of My Documents folder, installing game on Windows Vista or Windows 7 without administrator priviliges or just simply lack of space on C: HDD. In order to solve this problem, one has to:

1) Download and install the patch according to guides that can be found on: http://en.thewitcher.com/patch/
2) Before installing the patch delete all dzip files beside pack0.dzip and troll.dzip from CookedPC folder in The Witcher 2 installation directory.
3) If the above does not help, please uninstall the game.
4) Make sure that all files from the game's folder were deleted.
5) Make sure that My Documents folder is in Windows' default location.
6) Run the installer as the Administrator
7) Install the game in folder that doesn't include diactric signs.

In order to run the game as the Administrator, you have to login on the Administrator account (in case of Windows XP) or right click it on setup.exe that can be found on game's DVD and choose option "Run as administrator" on computers with Windows Vista or Windows 7

hi. Thanks for the link but unfortunatly it did not work.
HOWEVER. when i tried to install it on my laptop it worked fine! launcher worked and i activated my game fine on my laptop and downloaded the patch and applied it from the game!

cant understand why it aint working on my main rig?

last ditch attempt is that i may do a reformat!

If it disappears during the installer like you show in your screenshot it may just be a problem with InstallShield. I've seen this sort of behavior in the past but I can't dig up the info right now. You probably just need to do some sort of fix or cleanup of InstallShield temp files or some other nonsense. Maybe someone else can chime in if they think it might be the issue.

OK here goes.:)

Feature tranfer error
Feature: Requrired Files
Componet: Data
File: D:\data2.cab
Error: Data Error (cyclic Redundancy Check)

OK here goes.:)

Feature tranfer error
Feature: Requrired Files
Componet: Data
File: D:\data2.cab
Error: Data Error (cyclic Redundancy Check)

Try this?

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/the_witcher_2/feature_transfer_error_component_data_file_e_data2_cab

or this...
http://www.en.thewitcher.com/support/#t29

If that doesn't work, why not email TW supprt?? CDProjekt so far have shown themselves to be very pro-gamer, releasing retailer only DLC freely to everyone, removing DRM from all versions of the game, selling the game cheaper to Australians even though they shouldn't be. These are all signs of a company that values the gamer, so if I was having a problem my first response would be to google it, the 2nd response would be to contact their support.

I'll take a stab in the dark and say you're running a 30" 2560x1600 monitor? If you are the game won't launch with the desktop resolution set this high, it's a bug.

You need to drop your desktop resolution to something smaller, 1920x1200 is fine. Note that you can leave your in game resolution at 2560x1600 still.

For the person with the Cyclic Redundancy Check error, CRC errors are usually down to an error reading the storage medium, if you're reading off a DVD it means the DVD might be scratched or possibly the DVD drive is on the way out.

Back