• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The Witcher 2 low performance on HD 6950

Graphxproblems

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 10, 2008
Messages
65
From what I've read, most people with a 2GB HD 6950 are getting about 40-50 fps with dips to 35 or 30, on ultra settings at 1920x1080 (no ubersampling). I have tested with FRAPS, and in certain places it's as high as 80, but will also drop to 20 in heavy fights. Using MSI Afterburner I've also noticed by GPU usage drops to about 40% when the framerate drops. Here are my specs and settings for the game:

Sapphire HD 6950 (2GB) stock, 11.6 Drivers
Intel Core 2 Quad @ 3.00GHz
6GB DDR3 RAM
Windows 7 64-bit Professional

Witcher 2 settings: 1920x1080, set to ultra, but with ubersampling, v-sync, bloom, blur effects, and ssao disabled.
 
You can turn bloom back on, it doesn't affect frames much. Depth of field might have a role in your frame drop though.

The big two heavy hitting settings are ubersampling and ssao, but you already have those disabled. =\
 
didn't really check fps closely but i never had my fps dip down like that in any of fights during my two play through
i played it on window mode 1920/1200 all high except ubersampling
 
That's weird. I get higher frames that you (which should be a given since I play at 1680x1050, not 1920x1080), but it never dips below 30. My GPU usage never goes that low either according to MSI Afterburner.
 
That's weird. I get higher frames that you (which should be a given since I play at 1680x1050, not 1920x1080), but it never dips below 30. My GPU usage never goes that low either according to MSI Afterburner.

Do you have any idea what could be causing this problem? I don't really seem to have any issues in other games. Running the Metro 2033 benchmark on very high with a resolution of 1920x1080, I average 39 fps, which is right where it should be AFAIK.
 
That's weird. I get higher frames that you (which should be a given since I play at 1680x1050, not 1920x1080), but it never dips below 30. My GPU usage never goes that low either according to MSI Afterburner.

You also have cpu thats about three years newer.
 
Do you have any idea what could be causing this problem? I don't really seem to have any issues in other games. Running the Metro 2033 benchmark on very high with a resolution of 1920x1080, I average 39 fps, which is right where it should be AFAIK.

Is your card overclocked?

You also have cpu thats about three years newer.

That doesn't explain his GPU usage going down to 40%.
 
Low GPU usage = CPU bottleneck

Try overclocking your CPU and increasing the priority of the Witcher 2 in the task manager.
 
Low GPU usage = CPU bottleneck

Try overclocking your CPU and increasing the priority of the Witcher 2 in the task manager.

It only happens randomly he said. Doesn't mean its a CPU bottleneck if he plays most of the with lets say 90% GPU usage and then at one point it randomly goes down to 40%.

Sounds like a driver issue to me.
 
It only happens randomly he said. Doesn't mean its a CPU bottleneck if he plays most of the with lets say 90% GPU usage and then at one point it randomly goes down to 40%.

That sounds exactly like a CPU bottleneck to me. Most of the time, his framerates are good, but when the CPU is taxed heavily, his GPU usage plummets, thereby lowering his framerates. The fact that this doesn't happen all the time only confirms my suspicious that his CPU is the culprit.
 
Well, a q9650 shouldn't have much trouble getting to 3.6Ghz using basic aftermarket cooling.

The OP should run a quick test. 3.6Ghz should be enough, but those CPUs often did 4Ghz+ with the e0 stepping.
 
I have attempted to overclock my CPU, but for some reason whenever I make changes in the BIOS, the boot order of my two hard drives is reversed. I am using an EVGA 790i ultra sli motherboard, which uses Phoenix BIOS.
 
I should mention that the low performance occurs at the Vergen Besieged section. Is performance the worst in the game at this point?
 
Hmm... I didn't notice the irony of your name with regard to this thread. Ha...

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=133466 - Bios update might help? I don't know what's causing your boot order issue...could be a bios problem (in which case it'd be useful to review the change logs for all of the released updates to see if they may have addressed this issue).

I'm not even sure if that's where you want to go, but that forum might have some answers somewhere.
 
Back
Top