The Windows 10 Technical Preview

I am using Win10 on a Vivotab Note 8.... and I have to say, it runs pretty good, however, many of the touch elements (such as swiping up for more features, and "modern" style IE) do not work very well. (Microsoft mentioned this in their video)

Short of it is:
For Mouse/Keyboard Devices... Its a Go! Will be installing this on my main desktop.

For tablet devices...... Maybe wait till the next update... it is much nicer using full screen metro apps in 8.1 vs. Tech Preview.

Cool, thanks for the info. I have a VivoTab Note 8 as well and but installed it on an old Samsung Series 7 Slate and your observations are spot on with mine. There is no "metro" mode so to speak, everything including modern apps work strictly on the desktop with desktop navigation. Looks like we'll have to wait for the Continuum stuff to come on like before we get a touch navigation and control functional again.

Ms Still havent fixed the flakey Windows Add / remove features option under programs

t1I2aVF.png

and yet here i am posting this....

trying to add .net 3.5 to my install.

I think i know why, i did install Windows from a WDS server and thus it can not find the install files i presume since no image is mounted!

used

Enable-WindowsOptionalFeature –Online –FeatureName NetFx3 –All -LimitAccess -Source E:\sources\sxs

instead mounting the image.

One thing that kind of gets on my nerves is the right clicking start button to reach the restart/shutdown options. Even though it still has the kiddy UI, I will overlook it since everything I use seems to be compatible so far.

Are you talking about win8.1? Windows 10 has the shutdown/restart button at the top now, instead of at the bottom. It's just a picture of a circle with a line at the top.

I remember when people were just as geeked up after watching this video... :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfxVXM7_poI

LOL, I remember watching that back in the day and actually thinking it was cool...

Now its like.... Devices that have screw holes.... Tape Players, camcorders..... wtf? then..... White box PCs? what the heck....

then the fact that they had to show electric lines to portray the concept of networking....

Wow... I guess we really are living in the future.

There's rumor that if you own 8 you will get 10 free upgrade, but we all know how rumors go.:eek:
I am pretty sure, that Win 8 users get a free copy of Win 9, but MS didn't want to be called liars so this became Win 10. ;)

Maybe I am the last one, but even though I would say 10 is better than what they released as 8, am I the only one that wants the Aero GUI back. Seriously, all Windows from 8 on are just fugly. It wasn't just the horrible tablet GUI that was 8's problem IMHO. It also felt like the least modern OS I have seen. This flat crap is really just crap.

So two people have quoted it but still have failed to give an example of a name of a program that is affected by this.

I looked at search code and did not find any program names, just references in code to the supposed 9x issue.

If you followed the link, you'd see some program names. E.g. various java programs and implementations (OpenJDK, Sun's JDK, JEdit). It only takes one in-house application to turn off an entire business from using the software just because of how some developer chose to try and determine OS version.

if i knew norton 360 would not run da , win 10 would not have installed.
tried to unistall win 10 -failure . files missing nice . had to reinstall win 7 from scratch.

Antivirus operates at such a low level you can count on it not to work with any OS beta. This is one of the reason why they tell you not to run it as your main OS.

if i knew norton 360 would not run da , win 10 would not have installed.
tried to unistall win 10 -failure . files missing nice . had to reinstall win 7 from scratch.

This is tech preview, you are not supposed to upgrade your OS to it. When they release the next version you have to wipe out everything and install that version. Same come the RC version and then the full version. If you are stupid enough to upgrade your main OS to a tech preview instead of making a backup copy and upgrading that or doing a clean install you deserve whatever issues you have. This is a Beta version for people to run, find issues with and report them. Not a free fully working, fully tested version of the next version of windows.

I personally am happy when people like you have issues. Thank you for giving me a good laugh today.

Antivirus operates at such a low level you can count on it not to work with any OS beta. This is one of the reason why they tell you not to run it as your main OS.

You have windows defender so you do have an AV program. But yeah, wouldn't assume any one else would have anything that actually runs on it.

That is one reason, plus the fact you have to reinstall with every release, and some things won't work...

I went against my best judgement and installed it on my main home PC. Works great. Gaming works great.

AV - Windows Defender with Malwarebytes for additional protection when needed (plus, smart browsing and downloading). A few small program incompatibilities (FSX addon, Aero Glass replacement, etc..).

That's alright, the command line thing sounds interesting but most of those are still UI improvements.

Like it doesn't even mention if PowerShell 5.0 is coming with Windows 10 that according to this article is in the new Server preview:

http://www.zdnet.com/first-preview-...available-to-testers-on-october-1-7000034260/

Were there any changes to Storage Spaces? Any Hyper-V improvements? Anything new with SMB? Can we do NIC teaming?

ill tell ya one thing... teaming doesnt work at all for now. Atleast for me. Been looking for a fix for the last few hours which is how i ran into this.

Im really trying to run this as my main OS until release and so far ive been able to muscle in everything I need. The drivers and proset software included. However once I create the team it doesnt recognize either adapter and i have no connectivity.

The minute i remove the team via software, internet is back up. Drivers are fine, software is fine. Something within windows 10 is squatting on me :(

Back