The Windows 10 Technical Preview

HardOCP News

[H] News
For those of you interested in checking out Windows 10, the tech preview is out now. Thanks to Larry Y. for the heads up.

If you're a PC expert or an IT pro, come on a journey with us and be part of creating the best Windows yet. Be a part of every step. Join the Windows Insider Program so you can be part of every key moment along the way as we create Windows 10. You'll get Windows 10 Technical Preview, all the builds as soon as they're available, and an easy-to-use feedback app.

Grabbed it and already have the ISO burned to disc. Now I just have to replace the failed PSU in my spare PC and I'll check it out... ;)

I'm gonna install this on SOMETHING later, just curious about video drivers :(

I have been running it a few hours now and games seam to play fine for me. Running latest amd drives for my crossfire 290's. I'm really liking this OS. Think I'll stick with this as long as it's stable.

Getting the download going now. I am definatly going to run it on a virtual machine before I run it on the test machine.

I have been running it a few hours now and games seam to play fine for me. Running latest amd drives for my crossfire 290's. I'm really liking this OS. Think I'll stick with this as long as it's stable.

I was just wondering if my Xfire 7870 would work. Glad to know they do. So you just use Win8.1 drivers?

Thnx man

Can the snooping be disabled?

Just create a local account.

Personally I don't care, the MS account simplifies my daily Desktop OS life. Nice to have shit syncd across all my devices.

I am running it on my work tablet. No problems so far. It is a nice compromise between Windows 8 and 7.

have it installed in a VM. just need to play around with it some more later. Do miss the charms on the right hand side of the screen, need to figure how to get them back. I am probably one of the few who first thing I did was get rid of the start menu and turn the start screen back on.

Too late, I switched to Linux years ago, I wouldn't use Windows even if it was free. I just run Windows in VMs out of curiosity.

I'm starting to think they hired a good psychologist for this launch. Why use 9 when its closer to 7. Makes 7 look younger. So by using windows 10 it seems like windows 7 is old and ancient already. Making people switch over to the new platform. Its a psychological connection. Genius marketing ;). Microsoft wants people switch from 7 already. That's what it comes down to.3 numbers lower seems pretty old to most of the general public. When a average joe hears do they want windows 7 or windows 10 they will think windows 7 is kinda old already because of the number difference is greater than windows 9 to 7. I think its working for them ;)

Too late, I switched to Linux years ago, I wouldn't use Windows even if it was free. I just run Windows in VMs out of curiosity.

Cool story bro, tell me how productive or how much fun using your Linux rig daily. :rolleyes:

Windows 10 - Coke Classic

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Cool story bro, tell me how productive or how much fun using your Linux rig daily. :rolleyes:

I can totally vouch for it being productive. I dunno if any computer is really "fun" to use, but Linux Mint has been really painless. There's been no hair pulling for me.

Aside from that, I'm still going to go download a copy of the technical preview of 10. I use Windows for college classes and at work. I don't have anything hugely personal against it, but I do admit that after a couple of years of on and off Linux stuff, I think I'm settled on staying on it as an everyday OS and only using Windows when I absolutely must - which hasn't been on a daily basis for a long time now.

I can totally vouch for it being productive. I dunno if any computer is really "fun" to use, but Linux Mint has been really painless. There's been no hair pulling for me.

Aside from that, I'm still going to go download a copy of the technical preview of 10. I use Windows for college classes and at work. I don't have anything hugely personal against it, but I do admit that after a couple of years of on and off Linux stuff, I think I'm settled on staying on it as an everyday OS and only using Windows when I absolutely must - which hasn't been on a daily basis for a long time now.

I play too many random games to make a solid switch over to Linux. I won't argue against it though because I know it's a great OS. However, there still needs to be more streamlining of Linux install packages. Most are good anymore, but it needs to be like Windows - an afterthought - always. Yes, there are random exceptions in Windows, but generally speaking its just next, next, next done. That being said I have Linux installed but I rarely boot into it b/c I will play a game for about 45 minutes to an hour and as soon as I close out I read articles. I would rather fire up the browser right after than boot into Linux immediately after.

I play too many random games to make a solid switch over to Linux. I won't argue against it though because I know it's a great OS. However, there still needs to be more streamlining of Linux install packages. Most are good anymore, but it needs to be like Windows - an afterthought - always. Yes, there are random exceptions in Windows, but generally speaking its just next, next, next done. That being said I have Linux installed but I rarely boot into it b/c I will play a game for about 45 minutes to an hour and as soon as I close out I read articles. I would rather fire up the browser right after than boot into Linux immediately after.

Yup, I totally understand. Installing things isn't really standardized yet. The package installers are getting lots better to the point where _most_ stuff is really a matter of blindly clicking things, but that's still distro-specific somewhat aaaand not always a sure thing. I had to do so much messing around to get my printer to work...ugh. Also, gaming is coming along, but not really yet. I'm not really into playing games so it's not something that I think very much about for operating systems, but that's really important for lots of people and Windows is still by far, lots and lots of more gaming friendly.

I only use Linux for specific work tasks. Mainly security assessment stuff with Kali and Mint1x.

I haven't really messed much with Kali. I used to have Backtrack installed, but being all sneaky-testing of security isn't one of those things that I do often. Yawn boring Linux for the desktop is much better for someone who likes to type and read.

Also...yay downloading tech previews! Now I just have to figure out what to install it on. I wonder if they still support GMA 950s because I have an old laptop around that it'd work with just for playing with.

Got it installed on an i7-2620M laptop with 8 GB RAM and 128 GB SSD, native 1600x900 resolution driving an secondary monitor of the same resolution. So far so good. Getting reading to install it on an old Samsung Series 7 Slate once I back it up.

So what's here are the basics of what HAD to be done for desktop users. I know there are complaints of the aesthetics and rough edges, this is basically just a tweak of the 8.1 UI thus far. But the familiarity is there, for both 7 and those would might have aquatinted themselves with 8

Just release the new Start menu as a Windows Update so I don't have to bother with this.

have it installed in a VM. just need to play around with it some more later. Do miss the charms on the right hand side of the screen, need to figure how to get them back. I am probably one of the few who first thing I did was get rid of the start menu and turn the start screen back on.

I'm currently installing it in a VM, and I WON'T miss the charms bar, one of the worse changes they made with Windows 8.

Just release the new Start menu as a Windows Update so I don't have to bother with this.

There's been some rumors of that if 10 takes too long in development. My guess is that Microsoft would love to have this ready to go for Back to School 2015 so things need to be pretty well wrapped up by May at the latest for that to happen.

Actually even on the desktop it's still there for modern apps when you access their "..." menu option. But the hot corners are gone.

Actually even on the desktop it's still there for modern apps when you access their "..." menu option. But the hot corners are gone.

Let me rephrase that. The Charms are gone on the desktop, but options on the side for modern apps still come from the side.

It is actually noticeably faster than 8.1. I just reinstalled 8.1 on my laptop and this is faster by a good margin. Crazy.

Setup a UEFI bootable USB Windows 10 installer and went to town earlier... no problems installing, up and running. So far I'm liking what I'm seeing....

Even in beta form it blows Windows 8 away.

I still hate that they made the OS push so damn hard for a Microsoft account to be tied to the Windows user accounts... but oh well. We can't have everything.

It is actually noticeably faster than 8.1. I just reinstalled 8.1 on my laptop and this is faster by a good margin. Crazy.

I was actually pretty surprised how quickly and smoothly it runs in a VM from a mechanical hard drive.

Let me rephrase that. The Charms are gone on the desktop, but options on the side for modern apps still come from the side.

Let me rephrase that again. Win+C will activate the Charms even on a desktop in this build.

Seen lots of little glitches thus far and don't notive any performance improvements over 8.1. One thing that is cool is that 10 seems to persist modern app windows! Postion, size and even monitor loction are kept between sessions. Would be nice to see that come to desktop apps as well as I guess that's been on the list like virtual desktops for years.

Back