The Windows 10 Creators Update Is Now Live

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
I don’t know if we need yet another post on the Creators Update, but it seems wrong not to on its official day of release. The update has only begun rolling out, but I lucked out and got the download already. I would advise that you check your settings panel, especially if you want to delay anything. Here is a top 10 listing of features to expect if you’ve been under a rock.

…it's one of the biggest Windows 10 updates yet, and despite Microsoft's work, things could go wrong. As such, it's best to update all your critical photos, documents and other data. Once that's ready, you can wait it to roll out to your area, but bear in mind that last year's Anniversary Update took over six months to hit most eligible users. If patience isn't your thing, get the Update Assistant and pay close attention during the install.

I usually do a fresh iso install with these major updates but I'm happy with the Anniversary Update and everything is running pretty much perfect so am content waiting it out for the Creator's Update to hit Windows Update

I'm really excited about the "picture in picture". I was thinking about making a video player with a mode where it could always be on top. I was thinking naming that mode "always on top" but I figured "who would want something like that" so I didn't invent it and obviously nobody else would ever program a video player with some ridiculous feature like "always on top" so this picture in picture is a big deal. /s

Last edited:
I'm really excited about the "picture in picture". I was thinking about making a video player with a mode where it could always be on top. I was thinking naming that mode "always on top" but I figured "who would want something like that" so I didn't invent it and obviously nobody else would ever program a video player with some ridiculous feature like "always on top" so this picture in picture is a big deal.

VLC has done "always on top" for years.

I'm really excited about the "picture in picture". I was thinking about making a video player with a mode where it could always be on top. I was thinking naming that mode "always on top" but I figured "who would want something like that" so I didn't invent it and obviously nobody else would ever program a video player with some ridiculous feature like "always on top" so this picture in picture is a big deal.

Too bad it only applies to Microsoft's own crappy store apps. So you can run the feature stripped metro/App version of Skype in a little window - yay *jerkoff motion*. Bizarre they didn't just make this a feature of the window manager. FWIW every decent videoplayer already does always-on-top, and even the ones that don't can be made to.

I'm still baffled how a few minor "features" and a bunch of silent regressions warranted a full OS upgrade, complete with a Windows.old folder and a new marketing name. Seriously, 3D Paint is the headline. Still no telemetry off switch, still no Onedrive placeholders, still no improvements to File Explorer (like tabs) - unless you count default baked-in Ads as an improvement, still no "never install this update" option to avoid untested (or known) crap that will bork your PC or peripherals.

Last edited:
I've turned on defer feature updates a few days ago just to be safe. Maybe if there are no reports of major issues in the next few weeks I'll allow it.

I love how they graciously allowed active hours to be set to 18 hours now. So they took 2/3-of our freedom, and now they give back one third, and they'll be praised for it. When the fact of the matter is that they still hold 1/3 of our freedom hostage.

How about not rebooting my computer ever without my consent? Still no such option.

I've turned on defer feature updates a few days ago just to be safe. Maybe if there are no reports of major issues in the next few weeks I'll allow it.

I love how they graciously allowed active hours to be set to 18 hours now. So they took 2/3-of our freedom, and now they give back one third, and they'll be praised for it. When the fact of the matter is that they still hold 1/3 of our freedom hostage.

How about not rebooting my computer ever without my consent? Still no such option.

In this update with the Pro version and above, you can change active hours to a prompt that allows up to a three day delay.

In this update with the Pro version and above, you can change active hours to a prompt that allows up to a three day delay.
That's still the Sword of Damocles hanging over my head when I run processes that takes days. Guess I'm still not recommending Windows 10 at work.

That's still the Sword of Damocles hanging over my head when I run processes that takes days. Guess I'm still not recommending Windows 10 at work.

Do what enterprises do, stop the Windows Update service.

If that is the case, disable the Windows update and BITS services and reboot. Then Windows updates will not run at all. Otherwise, you end up with the same issue on Windows 7 back in the day, but instead, you only had 4 hours or 10 minutes or so to delay.

If you do a manual update and use Nvidia Cards, roll back drivers to 387.78. Just spent 2 hours getting my 3 screens working again on SLI 980Ti's.

Had a issue with my nivida drivers also, they would hang up and not install. I had to let windows 10 update and reboot then install my Nvidia drivers. Was a pain. That was on a clean install.

If you do a manual update and use Nvidia Cards, roll back drivers to 387.78. Just spent 2 hours getting my 3 screens working again on SLI 980Ti's.

I've had issues with three screens and SLI in Surround. It'll get "stuck" and I once had to reinstall drivers. I've not seen the issue thus far with the CU and latest NVidia drivers and constantly switching my monitor topography between 3x SLI Surround, 3x independent monitors with SLI on and off and single 4k with SLI on. The process isn't the smoothest, things will lock the drivers and it's easier to log off and log in and then make the change before the locking program loads up.

Otherwise, you end up with the same issue on Windows 7 back in the day, but instead, you only had 4 hours or 10 minutes or so to delay.
Windows 7 just opens a dialog with those options, you can leave it open and ignore it (or kill off the windows update service to close it).

I usually do a fresh iso install with these major updates but I'm happy with the Anniversary Update and everything is running pretty much perfect so am content waiting it out for the Creator's Update to hit Windows Update

I used to do that all the time but since Windows 8.1 I really don't see the need to do clean installs anymore unless something really strange is going on.

I ended up having to restore my system due to the update borking after reboot. It would just got to a black screen with a mouse cursor. ctrl alt dlt would bring up task manager but there were no running tasks. Booted into safe mode and uninstalled all video related stuff and anythig else non essential like Fences and windowblinds, no luck. Just did a restore.

Odd thing is the update did complete because after the restore I was on the update.

Here I thought it was just us Linux folk that had to deal with Nvidia drivers that don't play nice. lol

Well I hope everyone is enjoying the MS rolling release experiment. In their defense its not easy to get right. I still can't believe they went to a rolling release setup for windows. In the Linux world their is a reason none of the commercial Linux vendors use a rolling release on anything but testing branches.

Here I thought it was just us Linux folk that had to deal with Nvidia drivers that don't play nice. lol

Well I hope everyone is enjoying the MS rolling release experiment. In their defense its not easy to get right. I still can't believe they went to a rolling release setup for windows. In the Linux world their is a reason none of the commercial Linux vendors use a rolling release on anything but testing branches.

Virtually all major open source projects just iterative development and continuous delivery, including Linux itself. What commercial Linux software are you referring to? At any rate, three years between releases with major features is too long these days for consumer software at least.

And any update is going to entail some problems for some people. I update my sig rig to the CU at the end of March, no major issues to report. My 1080 Tis are running fine on the games I play, SLI, 3D, VR. I guess all that telemetry I send Microsoft is doing some good.;)

Unless I can get rid of or at least change the "lock screen", I couldn't care less. Thanks for patching or fixing code issues, but you're still on the wrong path gates had that made windows so ubiquitous so enjoy what spotlight you have left.

Unless I can get rid of or at least change the "lock screen", I couldn't care less. Thanks for patching or fixing code issues, but you're still on the wrong path gates had that made windows so ubiquitous so enjoy what spotlight you have left.

Open up cmd and type in 'control userpasswords2'

Uncheck 'users must enter a name and password...'' on the resultant screen that comes up and press apply. Another dialog will then pop up asking you to enter the credentials of the user you want to auto-login as when windows starts. enter them and reboot. it should login automatically, no lock screen.

…it's one of the biggest Windows 10 updates yet, and despite Microsoft's work, things could go wrong. As such, it's best to update all your critical photos, documents and other data. Once that's ready, you can wait it to roll out to your area, but bear in mind that last year's Anniversary Update took over six months to hit most eligible users. If patience isn't your thing, get the Update Assistant and pay close attention during the install.

Backing up data is always good, and a new Windows update shouldn't be the spark to make someone finally do it.

That said, I'm convinced the better strategy is to defer this update. If you don't use Edge, and won't notice any of the new features, what's the rush?

I have had this one my main and 3 laptops since Saturday. Woks just as well as last version for me.
I tweaked a few things that MS tries to force on me every install.
1, one drive- I turn off and reg fix from file explorer
2, edge tab in IE - advanced option hide edge
3, feedback smile in IE- reg hack to hide

PS, I do use IE but mostly use Firefox 80% of time.

I only test in production. bring it!
y7Hm9.jpg

Im experiencing some hard lock ups when playing games after the upgrade.

Also, games are looking very blurry. Already deativated high dpi in properties, same result.

All text is super small and only some of them seems to respond to the reg hack to make them bigger.

Increasing dpi to 125 makes everything blurry.

Since this is my gaming pc and i have no interest in dx12, i think im going to switch to 8.1 and classic shell.

Don't forget to try out the Night Light feature which is blue light redution for Led LCD monitors. I found it best used only slightly like 1/8 the way. Right click on desktop and Display Settings.. I had the Night Light slider right in the middle though good for my eyes I was straining to read text and stuff thus resulting in more strain while at work.You might need to switch your monitors colors around to USER RGB or something if you have them on Cool or Normal.

Im experiencing some hard lock ups when playing games after the upgrade.

Also, games are looking very blurry. Already deativated high dpi in properties, same result.

All text is super small and only some of them seems to respond to the reg hack to make them bigger.

Increasing dpi to 125 makes everything blurry.

Since this is my gaming pc and i have no interest in dx12, i think im going to switch to 8.1 and classic shell.

Curious, what games and what resolution and monitor size you're on? Scaling in the CU should be a lot better overall. For instance, utilities like CPU-Z and GPU-Z which have never scaled look good on high DPI monitors if you override the default scaling in the app properties and set it to Application. About the only thing that doesn't scale well for now is Steam. No issues with fuzzy games thus far.

Lots of things missing and removed. Ok I know people like the new settings and such but there is still some settings in Control Panel that is not accessable in the new settings. Like Security and Maintance where you can turn off the nags. Cortana is also now more embeded into the whole system really makes you wonder. I really don't want her anywhere On my system at all. Pretty much alexa from amazon. I ask Cortana do you work for the CIA guess what no answer. Also Powershell replace cmd prompt in the right click thats nice and all but cmd is quicker for commands powershell is slow and buggy. I wont have to worry too much about it since I'm running LTSB which they did not make a release for creators for. I wonder why could it be because of all the spying.
Game mode totally sucks period only made for xbox games on PC threw the store. Steam and other games do not even work sometimes with it on. I had to turn it off to get games to run better. Classicshell fixed most of the problems by fixing the interface. Also right click system now goes to about in the settings page not the main system which was much faster for changing and switching to certain domains on the network. Overall another rush job by MS to get something out I'm sure there will be a creators 2 edition just like the redstone 1 to redstone 2 which fixed most things. From the beginning I never liked the Home Pro or Enterprise editions of Windows 10 becuase it gives no control over what apps you want. It automaticly installs things that seriously no one uses like candy crush casnio games and other stuff which people should have a choice if they want it. This is the main reason why I got LTSB from a MS friend of mine. I choose what I want and no apps get automaticly installed unless I say so.

Curious, what games and what resolution and monitor size you're on? Scaling in the CU should be a lot better overall. For instance, utilities like CPU-Z and GPU-Z which have never scaled look good on high DPI monitors if you override the default scaling in the app properties and set it to Application. About the only thing that doesn't scale well for now is Steam. No issues with fuzzy games thus far.
So far, i only tested arkham knight. 1080p on a tv with a gtx970.

Worked flawlessly before the update.

Updated the nvidia drivers, same results after.

Works great for me. They seemed to have done some under the hood network tweaks because now my gigabit internet is going at the speed it should. Or I'm just imagining things. There are subtle changes here and there that make the general experience a little nicer.

For those of you that are looking for a great game booster because this gaming mode is limited to MS stuff, get Process Lasso. It has its own gaming mode and it regulates every process on the computer so that your game gets what it needs to perform at max potential. It's a roided out task manager. Been using it for ages and it's great. You can allocate more juice to whatever app you want, not just games. Pretty much my #1 recommended app: https://bitsum.com/

Virtually all major open source projects just iterative development and continuous delivery, including Linux itself. What commercial Linux software are you referring to? At any rate, three years between releases with major features is too long these days for consumer software at least.

And any update is going to entail some problems for some people. I update my sig rig to the CU at the end of March, no major issues to report. My 1080 Tis are running fine on the games I play, SLI, 3D, VR. I guess all that telemetry I send Microsoft is doing some good.;)

No commercial Linux provider uses a rolling release setup for their installs. Red Hat sells the RHEL it uses stable software that is rock solid. New features and security features are backported into a LTS kernel... new versions are tested at length with features and cool things being tested by the community running Fedora. Suse Enterprise is also rock solid stable and tested through 2 branches of OpenSuse, Leap which is not rolling but is more experimental then SLES, Tumbleweed is their full rolling release version of Suse.

Those are 2 of the largest Linux providers as an example. Canonical has a tier system that works much the same way.

The advantage is simple... all the majors have 3 releases of their OS. One that is ROCK solid and is sold.... and people looking for a rock solid paid for OS can buy one with full support. They then give away versions that range from just as solid... or exactly in the case of say Red Hat who also support the CentOS which is an exact unsupportec copy of their RHEL. They also have a rolling release untested, not likely as stable rolling release which sure are very popular with home desktop users.

Glad you didn't have any issues with your update... sounds like some are having issues. Hoepfully MS sorts it out... I honestly feel for all the small companies out their running Win 10 pro that are going to continue to have this rolling release crap pushed on them. Really though I don't mind... it makes my conversion sales pitch much stronger if they have had issues with major windows updates. lol :)

No commercial Linux provider uses a rolling release setup for their installs. Red Hat sells the RHEL it uses stable software that is rock solid. New features and security features are backported into a LTS kernel... new versions are tested at length with features and cool things being tested by the community running Fedora. Suse Enterprise is also rock solid stable and tested through 2 branches of OpenSuse, Leap which is not rolling but is more experimental then SLES, Tumbleweed is their full rolling release version of Suse.

Those are 2 of the largest Linux providers as an example. Canonical has a tier system that works much the same way.

This is exactly how Windows is developed these days, three experimental branches, Windows Insider branches, current consumer branch, current business branch and LTSB.

Glad you didn't have any issues with your update... sounds like some are having issues.

One of the nice things about this update, which should have been added earlier, for Pro and above you don't have to do major build upgrades for a year.

I got it yesterday via the update tool it downloads to c:\windows10upgrade\15...esd

You can take that esd and use a tool to create an iso with a standard wim and boom. I did that yesterday I haven't tested it but I need to because one of my insider boxes is stuck in windows update again and I don't want to wipe and rejoin it.

Lots of things missing and removed. Ok I know people like the new settings and such but there is still some settings in Control Panel that is not accessable in the new settings. Like Security and Maintance where you can turn off the nags...

I usually go from the start menu, not cortana (it looks the same but it's not) and type security. You'll get two options check security status (under settings) or Security and Maintenance. Both of which will take you to Control Panel > System and Security > Security and Maintenance. This is where I tell it to stop bugging me about firewall and defender not being on.

updated last night, played some hearthstone/overwatch/ME:A and no issues thus far.

My laptop has annoyingly reset the brightness to 50% after every reboot since this update. I did some digging and then found out a lot of my power options are getting reset. Adaptive brightness keeps getting turned on, my Wifi power settings seem to change at random, and the default brightness while plugged in keeps getting reset to 50%. I change them, save, exit, go back to power options and the settings are correct. Once I reset though, they revert back to some default values that I can't seem to override/change permanently. This isn't a critical issue at the moment, but it is sure annoying.

Back