The Wii U Thread (that doesn't suck)

• Thread starter Deleted member 83233
  • Start date
glad i ran across this thread, i've been considering picking up a wii u for mario kart and mario maker.. I've been playing back through some of my old mario stuff on snes and have really enjoyed playing. Problem is I didn't see much out there game wise that looked interesting to me. Would hate to buy it new or used for just a couple games

Well Mario Kart for Wii U is one of the best racing games ever made and it is by far my favorite Mario Kart game. There is also a healthy community of players online so you can race against others world wide at any time. It is simply terrific.

Super Mario U is my favorite 2D Mario since Super Mario World. It is perfect and totally retro. Super Luigi World is in some ways even better and is a lot more challenging. Terrific graphics too.

Super Mario 3D World is a masterpiece and merges the best of 2D and 3D Mario games into one game. I have played through it many times. I liked it better than Galaxy or Galaxy 2. It is pure joy.

From a Mario standpoint, Wii U is a tremendous success.The console itself I believe is great there is just so much lag time between the launch of good titles that the machine collects dust for a time, but if you look at the whole first party library by the time this machine is end of life it will have as a good a first party library as any Nintendo console.

Then of course you have Mario Maker but you'd want to play through the games above first. So between those four games you would be busy for quite some time.

Well Mario Kart for Wii U is one of the best racing games ever made and it is by far my favorite Mario Kart game. There is also a healthy community of players online so you can race against others world wide at any time. It is simply terrific.

Super Mario U is my favorite 2D Mario since Super Mario World. It is perfect and totally retro. Super Luigi World is in some ways even better and is a lot more challenging. Terrific graphics too.

Super Mario 3D World is a masterpiece and merges the best of 2D and 3D Mario games into one game. I have played through it many times. I liked it better than Galaxy or Galaxy 2. It is pure joy.

From a Mario standpoint, Wii U is a tremendous success.The console itself I believe is great there is just so much lag time between the launch of good titles that the machine collects dust for a time, but if you look at the whole first party library by the time this machine is end of life it will have as a good a first party library as any Nintendo console.

Agree 100% Also, I'd recommend Bayonetta 2, Fast Racing Neo, Captain Toad (for a little relaxing simple puzzling) etc. Everything I have for it is top notch.

Agree 100% Also, I'd recommend Bayonetta 2, Fast Racing Neo, Captain Toad (for a little relaxing simple puzzling) etc. Everything I have for it is top notch.

I forgot Captain Toad lol. Actually bought it but never played it much. I kept falling asleep. In small doses it is entertaining. Also, Yoshi's Wooly world is hysterically cute. My wife stole my Wii U from me for weeks as I have previously explained. I never did get my hands on that elusive Green Yoshi Amiibo.

I got my Zelda Amiibo in the mail today ready to heal link if necessary for my upcoming replay of Twilight Princess HD. Also Gannon is on the way in case I feel the need to up the challenge. I already have Link who will be replenishing my arrows apparently. Take my money please!

Boyonetta 2 was also very good.

Splatoon is a blast as is Smash Brothers.

For me owning the latest Nintendo system at launch is an imperative because they are champions of game design. It is sad that the days of Nintendo being at the forefront of graphics technology are long behind us because I would love to see their franchises get paired up with some really powerful hardware, but as long as their stuff looks polished on larger HD screens they can get away with being a bit behind the curve.

When all is said and done I will have spent significantly more money on Wii U this generation than on PC games--and I have a Haswell-E with GTX 980 SLI. That speaks volumes.

Whether the system is just great or is absolutely epic will depend on Zelda U. I am a bit concerned they don't have the processing power on board to see that project through to its full potential and I would really like it to get kicked to NX. They are slow brewing that one for sure and holy cow not a lot of information but the excitement is starting to build.

Last edited:
For me owning the latest Nintendo system at launch is an imperative because they are champions of game design.

It's really too bad they put that stupid screen on the Gamepad. I feel this really hurt their design as it takes the player away from the screen to look at another screen to do some menial task they should have been able to do on the main screen...

It's really too bad they put that stupid screen on the Gamepad. I feel this really hurt their design as it takes the player away from the screen to look at another screen to do some menial task they should have been able to do on the main screen...

Actually, for me it has been a godsend, because I like to double screen things (watch tv and play games at the same time). I mostly play on the screen on the controller although the graphics look sooo much better on the plasma tv. I found it incredibly handy. I don't think it turned out to be that useful as a controller, however. I agree that utilizing both screens has not been that useful. I like the concept, but not the execution. I am not a fan of touch screens for anything more than inventory management. But the ability to use the screen on the controller is something I really appreciate. I am hoping they put an OLED on their next controller but I know that will never happen.

I also forgot to mention Pikmin 3, which is BRILLIANT. Terrific game. But to really play you need the gamepad on your lap as a map and then the wii mote plus and nunchuck. That is probably the most useful implementation of the screen I have seen.

I also think the gamepad is very ergonomic and comfortable.

It depends entirely on how it's used. It works flawlessly for inventory management and aiming weapons in Zelda. It really couldn't feel more natural. It's also extremely handy to keep playing a game when someone else wants to use the TV or still wants you hanging out (my wife for example). It's really not a distraction in any way. I've never felt forced to take my eyes off the TV if that's what I was supposed to be looking at. The game pad is 100% part of the experience IMO. Also, if it IS a distraction, pick up a Pro Controller, and don't even use the main game pad. It's optional in most games, but adds flexibility and functionality in others.

Looks like in the new Twilight Princess HD, you no longer have to speak to MIDNA to transform. You just touch the gamepad and transform instantly! AWESOME GAMEPLAY UPGRADE! Hated talking to MIDNA. This will change the whole placing of the gameplay and how often you choose to transform. :) I'm stopping my investigations to avoid spoilers.

Looks like in the new Twilight Princess HD, you no longer have to speak to MIDNA to transform. You just touch the gamepad and transform instantly! AWESOME GAMEPLAY UPGRADE! Hated talking to MIDNA. This will change the whole placing of the gameplay and how often you choose to transform. :) I'm stopping my investigations to avoid spoilers.

That is a definite plus! I actually like talking to Midna if she actually has something to say, because (and maybe I'm in the minority) I thought her whole character was cool (both halves of it). However, I'm in complete agreement on having to talk to her for a simple and often repeated game play mechanic. I can't wait until this releases. TP is may actually be my favorite Zelda game. I really actually like all of them, especially WW, (and of course OoT) but TP immersed me in the world more than any of the others.

I know im in the minority, but i really want a Skyward Sword remake.

But it'd definitely have to give me some QoL improvements.
Some of Skyward Sword's downfalls were mostly just minor gameplay annoyances.

I know im in the minority, but i really want a Skyward Sword remake.

But it'd definitely have to give me some QoL improvements.
Some of Skyward Sword's downfalls were mostly just minor gameplay annoyances.

I like Skyward Sword. Also, with its art style, they could probably get away with fairly minimal changes to "HDify" it. The sword movement was positional though, which actually had a real impact on play, so either a Wiimote would still be needed, or they'd have to make quite a few changes. Technically they could use the Wii U gamepad's motion sensing, but that would be beyond clunky I think.

I really enjoyed skyward, and I'd be all for an HD version -- but without motion controls. For me, that was the worst part of the game. I'm glad to see motion controls used less and less...

I really enjoyed skyward, and I'd be all for an HD version -- but without motion controls. For me, that was the worst part of the game. I'm glad to see motion controls used less and less...

I actually liked them. I wasted a lot of time chopping bamboo, skewering and flinging pumpkins, etc. :D I do like being able to aim things with motion (especially like in WW HD)

I actually liked them. I wasted a lot of time chopping bamboo, skewering and flinging pumpkins, etc. :D I do like being able to aim things with motion (especially like in WW HD)

I agree. This is one of the weirdest splits in the community i've ever heard of in gaming. Some like it, some don't. I love it.

I agree. This is one of the weirdest splits in the community i've ever heard of in gaming. Some like it, some don't. I love it.

I get the idea that maybe people that like to mess with things, and play their own way like this sort of thing (motion controls, more ways to do the same thing, etc.) more than the type who just like to blast right through the game. I'm one of the former types who has never really played missions in GTA, the story in Elder Scrolls, and likes to skewer pumpkins, collect bugs, chop bamboo and such in Zelda. :D (though in the case of Zelda games, I've actually finished them too hehe)

I really enjoyed them as well, but I would honestly be ok if they released it without them (doubt it if this game ever does see a remake).

I loved it. For me it was one of the rare times I thought motion control could really be something for gaming.

Maybe they could find a way to implement motion or normal controls in a HD port.

Only problem I see is how you would do the required directional attacks. That might take more reprogramming than Nintendo is willing to put into a HD release. Assuming we ever got one of course.

I loved it. For me it was one of the rare times I thought motion control could really be something for gaming.

Maybe they could find a way to implement motion or normal controls in a HD port.

Only problem I see is how you would do the required directional attacks. That might take more reprogramming than Nintendo is willing to put into a HD release. Assuming we ever got one of course.

The WiiMotes are fully supported on the Wii U so I don't see why they couldn't implement both styles fairly easily. That seems like it would be the best way. You could still put the inventory on the gamepad too, and just have it in front of you on the charging pedestal. (might be a little clunky that way, just thinking out loud)

All this Zelda talk made me start another run through Wind Waker HD with my daughter. We plan to finish it up before the Twilight Princess HD release. :D Having a blast again.

Just pre-ordered Twilight princess HD from best buy. About time I use my gamers club unlocked for something...

With Bayonetta and Corrin finally available, I took the plunge and bought the two big DLC packs for Smash. I forgot how fun that game can be. I'm also not great at it, so I don't see all of the flaws that the Melee people love to point out :p

I am with you. I had a Wii U for the longest time, but ended up selling it b/c it was collecting dust. I sold it about a year ago. I loved the console, but with all the games coming out between PS4, Xbox One, and at the time PC I simply didn't play the Wii U. I think i'll eventually buy one again, but I think I may lean towards getting a 3DS instead since I can still get my Mario fix on there and I don't have to worry about the hassle of owning and maintaining another console. Who knows. I still have my DSi on my nightstand for when I want to load up a quick Mario session.

Just pre-ordered Twilight princess HD from best buy. About time I use my gamers club unlocked for something...

You get much more from a Amazon Prime membership to be honest. You might want to consider it. Especially if you're a student and have a .edu address. 6 month free trial and $50/year for Prime. Otherwise it's a 1 month free trial and $99/year for prime and you get a shit-load of perks including the best being free 2 day shipping including launch-day guaranteed game arrivals and the best being 20% off all game preorders and even up to 2 weeks after game release. Not to mention Amazon Video, music, and all the other shit I don't take advantage of.

That it is. I'm looking forward to playing this one again as it's one of my favorites (if not my favorite.) From the little bit I've seen, it's looking good.

Yes, VERY excited at this point. I can't believe they finally got around to doing this. I totally could have gotten into a 3D remake on 3DS as well but I don't think the graphical horsepower is there.

Now if only they would do Metroid Prime...

I think not but you can aim with the gyroscopic controls on the pad which is even better I think. No waggle but it was never truly a motion control game.

It was to me. That was the only way I played TP, on release when I got Wii in 2006. This is obviously the GC version port...
Oh well, something to think about...

It was to me. That was the only way I played TP, on release when I got Wii in 2006. This is obviously the GC version port...
Oh well, something to think about...

Well it is the GC version in that the game world is the mirror opposite of the Wii version and link holds is sword in his left hand, not his right. But in Hero Mode, interestingly, we will get the Wii "flipped" version where the sword is in his right hand! So both versions are in the remaster.

My recollection is that the waggle controls really only triggered the sword like a button but the sword really did not respond to changes in angle or direction. The real functionality was the ability to aim the bow, boomerang and other projectiles with the cross hairs using the pointer, which was a step up from having to use the joystick but not a big step up like Metroid Prime 3 or Trilogy's aiming system or even Ocarina 3D. The cursor was not precise. So the motion controls were pretty tacked on and the game was always truly a Gamecube game. Also we should get camera control now.I never played the gamecube version so I am looking forward to new control scheme.

Cancelled my pre-order for Twilight Princess with GameStop and re-pre-ordered with Amazon, $17 difference, between prime benefit and the free shipping..... Sheesh...

Wish I did this with my MegaMan Collectors edition pre-order, I am supposed to be receiving it sometime March 2nd from GameStop.... So dumb.

Cancelled my pre-order for Twilight Princess with GameStop and re-pre-ordered with Amazon, $17 difference, between prime benefit and the free shipping..... Sheesh...

Wish I did this with my MegaMan Collectors edition pre-order, I am supposed to be receiving it sometime March 2nd from GameStop.... So dumb.

I just download all my games to a hard drive from the Wii U shop so I can pull them up at will without loading the disc. More expensive but so worth it!

I just download all my games to a hard drive from the Wii U shop so I can pull them up at will without loading the disc. More expensive but so worth it!

That's what I do as well. Easy, and safe.

Twilight Princess HD is great. The Wii U controller's aiming is much easier than it ever was on the Wii. The graphics bring the game in line with what I remember it looking like. And of course the game is great and I am totally sucked in all over again!

Twilight Princess HD is great. The Wii U controller's aiming is much easier than it ever was on the Wii. The graphics bring the game in line with what I remember it looking like. And of course the game is great and I am totally sucked in all over again!

Just picked this up earlier tonight, looking forward to re-playing it. It's one of my favorite Zelda's and I haven't played it all the way through since my GC copy. Should hopefully be a good tide-me-over until Zelda Wii U.

Sweet Jesus do I suck at jumping fences on Epona in Twighlight Princess HD. Everything else is fine, I can't get the jump timing down at all, what's the trick?

Sweet Jesus do I suck at jumping fences on Epona in Twighlight Princess HD. Everything else is fine, I can't get the jump timing down at all, what's the trick?

From what I remember you need to approach it head-on and center, if she's not forming a 90 degree angle with the hurdles / whatever you're trying to jump she'll just run into it. You also need to have a decent amount of speed / momentum.

Very much enjoying it so far. The only thing I miss about the Wii version, is that fishing was better with the Wiimote. (at least the bobber fishing) I haven't made it to the proper fishing area yet. Maybe it's better. Otherwise, everything seems spot-on. I've played both the GC and Wii versions, but I'm still getting used to the non-mirrored map, because I played more on the Wii. I keep getting turned around on areas that are ingrained in my memory. They did a nice job on this.

From what I remember you need to approach it head-on and center, if she's not forming a 90 degree angle with the hurdles / whatever you're trying to jump she'll just run into it. You also need to have a decent amount of speed / momentum.

Do I need to hit a button though? Or just run at the jumps and max speed and 90 degree angles?

J3RK said:
I'm still getting used to the non-mirrored map, because I played more on the Wii. I keep getting turned around on areas that are ingrained in my memory. They did a nice job on this.

I completley forgot about that! I was just telling my wife last night how I must be getting old becuase I'm remembering things differently! Too funny!

Ocellaris said:
Do I need to hit a button though? Or just run at the jumps and max speed and 90 degree angles?

No need to hit the button; try to hit it at a 90 as close to center as you can. It feels like you need to be going "fast enough" to jump it (but it's not max speed), so I sometimes mash the dash button to speed up when I know I'm aligned correctly, but not sure I'm fast enough. It also feels like mashing the dash button too close to the jump can cause you to fail...

I've been a big fan of the Wii-U gamepad, but the controls felt sloppy to me. I don't know quite how to discribe it, but it just didn't feel right. I had a $50 best buy gift card sitting around, so I finally bit on a Pro controller, and all my complaints are gone. Maybe there is a bit of slop in the analog sticks on the gamepad or something, but the controls feel great now!

The game really is beautiful... I wish it had a higher polygon count so things looked a little better, but I'll take it. When Link appeared in his green gear for the first time... I was hooked!

Haven't played in years so my memory is fuzzy but should just run into it like you said. The mechanic works the same as links jumping in TP and every other 3D Zelda. I'll know for certain once I get there in my TP HD play through but I'm almost 100% that's all there is to it, there's never been a dedicated jump button before it's always the automated mechanic. GLHF sir.

Yeah, you just run at them. You have to be within a few degrees of perpendicular. It also helps if you can hit the spur button more than once before hitting the gate.

Back