The White House Wants Gamers To Buy Healthcare

Uh, that's what having the insurance does

Yeah. Try getting by on some of the "affordable" plans aimed at the bottom rung of wage-earners.

Insurance or no, it's still financially ruinous.

Yeah. Try getting by on some of the "affordable" plans aimed at the bottom rung of wage-earners.

Insurance or no, it's still financially ruinous.

If bottom rung wage earners don't deserve $15 an hour why should they deserve $100k life or pain saving surgeries that don't bankrupt them?

Health insurance has certainly prevented my wife and I from facing much more expense than otherwise.

Sure. However, at the bottom rung, even if you have health insurance, the plans cover so little that pretty much ANY major injury/illness is still ruinous. Maybe not AS ruinous. But having your life completely fucked over for X in bills you can't afford over and above what your insurance covers is only quantitatively different from having your life completely fucked over for X+Y in bills you can't afford for having no insurance. Qualitatively, they're identical.

Sure. However, at the bottom rung, even if you have health insurance, the plans cover so little that pretty much ANY major injury/illness is still ruinous. Maybe not AS ruinous. But having your life completely fucked over for X in bills you can't afford over and above what your insurance covers is only quantitatively different from having your life completely fucked over for X+Y in bills you can't afford for having no insurance. Qualitatively, they're identical.

The fundamental issue with healthcare is that it's extraordinarily expensive and to date in the US we've never done much to contain those costs. The big issue is that it's a labor and resource intensive industry using among the most expensive labor and resources.

The ultimate solution to this problem is going to require some type of revolution in healthcare being delivered by cheaper means. And good luck with that. Before you can even blame the government for all that is wrong in medicine there are insurance companies, medical schools, hospitals, doctors, nurses, the pharmaceutical and medical instrument industry, etc. that have a vested interest in keeping healthcare costs high.

And you can forget about competition. Think of the doctor that advertises "I'll treat your cancer for the best rates in town!" Maybe that's the guy you have to go. But the economic of medicine aren't quite the same as a buying a car.

The bottom rung gets medicaid.

And the rung above that gets medicaid too unless you come from a stupid state that turned down free money cuz Obama bad rawr.

Right so the 2 bottom rungs (I would still really consider it the singular bottom rung) get free shit but the people working harder / full time at a not total shit job get nothing.

Oops you made 28k instead of 23k this year so now you get nothing. Guess you should have just worked part time so you qualify for all this free money!

I know plenty of people who intentionally stay at their crummy jobs because they work just under the cutoff for getting heaps of government assistance. The system is broken and frankly designed to keep people in this welfare culture (not necessarily intentional, but that's how its ended up.). The people who get the shaft are the ones making ~26-36k. Make too much to get financial assistance so you get to work harder to break even with the people who don't.

The system is broken and frankly designed to keep people in this welfare culture (not necessarily intentional, but that's how its ended up.).

Ohh believe me, it's intentional. Psychopaths and sociopaths eventually yearn for positions of incredible power. When those positions are made available, in due time the psychopaths will rise to the top.

If bottom rung wage earners don't deserve $15 an hour why should they deserve $100k life or pain saving surgeries that don't bankrupt them?

Because even genuinely decent people when faced with the loss of a spouse or child to a treatable illness are liable to take extraordinary measures to secure treatment. In strictly monetary terms: Guns are cheap and doctors with lots of holes in them can't save any more rich people or pay off their med school loans.

Back