The White House To Host Twitch Gamers Next Week

HardOCP News

[H] News
The president is hosting a bunch of popular Twitch streamers at the White House next week for what they are calling the White House Competitive Gaming Event.

A host of popular Twitch streamers will emerge from their poster-walled bedrooms next week to give President Obama a masterclass in clutch plays. On Monday, December 12th, Monster-guzzling gaming celebs will huddle around screens at the president's Washington D.C. residence for the "White House Competitive Gaming Event."

That would be epic on so many levels.

On another note... why are our tax dollars going towards something like this?

Presidents have forever hosted any number of things at the White House, it's their home for the time in office after all. I doubt there's any significant amount of public money that's going in this above and beyond the cost of running the WH day to day.

Presidents have forever hosted any number of things at the White House, it's their home for the time in office after all. I doubt there's any significant amount of public money that's going in this above and beyond the cost of running the WH day to day.

True, some of the stuff Presidents have hosted (in the past) were complete wastes of time/money/resources. This one isn't any different in that regard. To some, being President is like being some kind of "personal banker" to America's resources, (of which they, naturally, take their own not-insignificant share, considerably above and beyond the nominal $400k USD -- that share being worth a lot more than just money).

True, some of the stuff Presidents have hosted (in the past) were complete wastes of time/money/resources. This one isn't any different in that regard. To some, being President is like being some kind of "personal banker" to America's resources, (of which they, naturally, take their own not-insignificant share, considerably above and beyond the nominal $400k USD -- that share being worth a lot more than just money).

This type of criticism of Presidents has never been my thing, regardless of who held the office. We're talking about a person he has the power of life and death over millions. If they want to play golf or hold a Twitchfest, we've all got more important things to worry about. Honestly, I think Presidents need to do more stuff like this. Technology and its applications are inescapable part of lives and techies are constantly bashing leaders for not being technically savvy.

This type of criticism of Presidents has never been my thing, regardless of who held the office. We're talking about a person he has the power of life and death over millions. If they want to play golf or hold a Twitchfest, we've all got more important things to worry about. Honestly, I think Presidents need to do more stuff like this. Technology and its applications are inescapable part of lives and techies are constantly bashing leaders for not being technically savvy.

Well, if Presidents are allowed, shall we say, "liberties and oppurtunities" greater than the average American, than LBJ takes the cake, given how many rumors were floating around in DC during his time about the range and scope of his extramarital affairs (JFK, Bill Clinton, heck, even both of them put together, looked like prudish, virginal monks in comparison).
Apparently, LBJ believed that it was the natural right of "rulers" to have virtual concubines (with heavy emphasis on the plural).
There were innumerable jokes about LBJ's "legions of female admirers" (which repeatedly reached the ears of his long-suffering wife, Lady Bird) as well as tales of his incredible wealth (in strict dollar amounts, before Donald took the throne, LBJ was supposedly the wealthiest person to take the Presidential post).

To be honest, "techies", although a much larger group in population numbers than ever before, are still very much a small part of the American populace, so for that "tech gap" to be overcome, we'd need to have a genuine "tech enthusiast", at the very least, to be President. Thing is, those guys capable enough of being great Presidents probably have no interest in running for the job (and I can't say that I blame them).

Anyway, here's to some HardOCP'er becoming President in the future! :D

I don't watch any Twitch streamers, but for some reason labeling all of them as "Monster-guzzling" gamers seems like writer at Engadget is trying to put them down or is jealous.

This is so "Hello, Fellow Kids", its cringe worthy, lol! I can already picture Obama being prepped with something like this and then coming in and misusing some gamer jargon to seem with it.

"If, if, if, if, if you noobs are ready to frag some pwnage, that would be okey-doke!" - Obama, probably

Back