• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The "Watch Me Overclock, Guys!" Thread - AMD edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carnival Forces

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Feb 9, 2003
Messages
4,297
in true <cough> VidCard forum </cough> fashion, here's another new thread -- it's already been 33 seconds and no one had posted one.. so i felt obligated :eek:

ITT (in this thread), we post how we are OCing a machine (an AMD one, as indicated by the title; if anyone has an Intel they would like to show off feel free to start a thread about that...after all, it will have been 33 seconds by the time i finish typing this post)

i started load testing this machine 9 days earlier...today we are at the 2100 mark (it's an A64 3200+, 1GB corsair RAM, MSI K8Neo Platinum...)

i bump up the "FSB" one MHz each day and stress test w/ Prime95 for 24 hrs -- to both burn in and ensure stability...

today we are at the "10 nothces up" mark, proudly stress-testing away at 2.1GHz...

i'll post back to let everyone (who is, of course, duly concerned) know on each hour (or maybe more frequently), how the stress test is going... these tests can be very, stressful....

wish me luck...

P.S. others, feel free to add you exploits of OCing here as well! more posts = gooder (that's right, gooder)
 
I always make sure to stress test my machines for stability. I wouldn't want any F@H work units to get messed up. I stress tested this rig only for 24 hrs. :( Never has lost a wu that I know of.

This AMD rig of mine is a AMD 64 2800+ New Castle running at 9x multi 270htt = 2.433 ghz with a 333 mem divider = 221mhz on the mem. Stock cpu voltage. It runs at... let me look.. 60 degrees celcius. Eek. I didn't know it was that high. My apartment is a little hot. It's still running though. Ok I'm going to back it down. Sigh slower folding performance.

-Mn Scout
 
Ok so now its at 2.34 ghz lets see if it cools down at all. So before it was doing 309ppd lets see what 100mhz off lowers it to. I'll update everyone in 1 hr.

MN Scout

Oops I made this slightly on topic to this forum. What ev.
 
Ok so I lied a little bit about the temps in the last 2 posts. It was originally 62c :eek: :eek: . And it has only gone down to 60~61. Just for the sake of science I'm going to leave it here for an hour(not like it hasn't been running the last 2 weeks at this temp) and see what the 100mhz less does.

-MN Scout
 
MN Scout said:
Ok so I lied a little bit about the temps in the last 2 posts. It was originally 62c :eek: :eek: . And it has only gone down to 60~61. Just for the sake of science I'm going to leave it here for an hour(not like it hasn't been running the last 2 weeks at this temp) and see what the 100mhz less does.

-MN Scout
how much have you OCed from stock (remember, i am now a Vid Card poster so i don't read previous posts)

you might want to consider cleaning out your case for dust...it helped a lot when i did it last...

maybe you need to reseat your CPU heatsink? perhaps new thermal paste? what are you using now?

no fans died, did they...?
 
and now for me to join in the frey........(I'll post for the GD idiot)

the high temps are probably an indiaction that your power supply is getting ready to fail.

OT... Canrival... fold faster.... I'm leaving you behind


The [H]orde needs You!
 
600mhz over stock :) It's just like 80 degrees F in my room right now. Only cools down during the evenings when I open the window. Two computers in a studio makes it heat up nice and fast. I even had to turn off 2 coputers, so I'm down 2.4 ghz.

Thermal past AS5 of course. I'm using a big copper thermal take venus. Don't laugh it's the best I could afford at the time. Seated just fine.

EM III reports that it dropped down to 301ppd but it hasn't evened out yet. Give it another 1/2 hour. Still at 60c.

Mn Scout
 
jfb9301 said:
and now for me to join in the frey........(I'll post for the GD idiot)

the high temps are probably an indiaction that your power supply is getting ready to fail.

OT... Canrival... fold faster.... I'm leaving you behind


The [H]orde needs You!

I really hope that you are not right. It's an Antec 350 truepower. It only folds, 1 hd, no vid, no cdrom. I think it's just the room temps.

-Mn Scout
 
I should also blow the heatsink out I guess. I haven't done that in a month.

Anyone have a watercooling setup that they'd like to donate? It'd need to cope with a 1.8ghz chip oc'd to 2.4+. Or people could make a new thread about how to put together the perfect watercooling setup for an oc'd folding at home computer. Make sure that it's cheap and uses as many parts that require some bit of work like the heatercore. None of this premade stuff that's all setup and ready to go - I want to save money. That'd be cool and informative.

-Mn Scout
 
MN Scout said:
I should also blow the heatsink out I guess. I haven't done that in a month.

Anyone have a watercooling setup that they'd like to donate? It'd need to cope with a 1.8ghz chip oc'd to 2.4+. Or people could make a new thread about how to put together the perfect watercooling setup for an oc'd folding at home computer. Make sure that it's cheap and uses as many parts that require some bit of work like the heatercore. None of this premade stuff that's all setup and ready to go - I want to save money. That'd be cool and informative.

-Mn Scout
that would be a good thread for you to start.
 
jfb9301 said:
and now for me to join in the frey........(I'll post for the GD idiot)

the high temps are probably an indiaction that your power supply is getting ready to fail.

OT... Canrival... fold faster.... I'm leaving you behind


The [H]orde needs You!
i would...but i lost *all* my borgs (even the stealth ones) over summer...and i'm OCing my main rig, so it's not folding :(

in a month or so i'll start hardcore borging again...
 
I hate Oc'ing. The stability testing drives me nuts, takes too long.

I generally make up some huge unrealistic target, bork the bios, try a bunch less, it works split the differance and call it even.
 
Opps, AMD addition...

I plug them things into wall sockets.
 
marty9876 said:
I hate Oc'ing. The stability testing drives me nuts, takes too long.

I generally make up some huge unrealistic target, bork the bios, try a bunch less, it works split the differance and call it even.
awww, but you could be getting more ppD!

although it's true, OCing the correct way (burning in and stability testing at each level) IS taking forEVER... :(

it better pay off!
 
/checks cpu-z

175x13, mobile axp. it'd be a 3800x2 if i had money :( as it is, this works. running at 43C (or 41C, depending which sensor you believe) my favorite part is that this is with a pal 8045 and a 80mm stealth :cool: the PSU fan is what's making noise i think.

/turns down psu fan

yep, i'm right

/turns psu fan back up

*hugs zalman flower vga cooler* *hugs seagate disk*

i'll probably bump it back up to 2.4 or so now that its winter again. my motherboard sucks and refuses to supply over ~1.77 vcore, so... yeah. doesn't get much higher than this.
i'm invincible!
 
yeah maybe I'll post a thread with my watercooling research. I was actually really considering the watercooling, and now that I have this new studio apartment that has sucky AC I'll probably go and buy my first watercooling components ever, just so I dont fry any of my components. I'll get to work on it sometime this week.

-Mn Scout
ps. ppd has dropped to 296
 
MN Scout said:
yeah maybe I'll post a thread with my watercooling research. I was actually really considering the watercooling, and now that I have this new studio apartment that has sucky AC I'll probably go and buy my first watercooling components ever, just so I dont fry any of my components. I'll get to work on it sometime this week.

-Mn Scout
ps. ppd has dropped to 296
good pesron.

you could even start a thread asking for suggestions right now, and then, after you do your own research, post back in that thread with your results.
 
What a great idea! I think that it might actually be moved though unless if I have nice F@H benchmarks and whatnot directly after I got everything setup.

-Mn Scout
 
MN Scout said:
What a great idea! I think that it might actually be moved though unless if I have nice F@H benchmarks and whatnot directly after I got everything setup.

-Mn Scout
that post made no sense.

that being said, it's been ~13 hours and still stable! only 11 more to go! :D
 
Update I dropped the cpu down to 2.1ghz :( I'll keep you updated on what the ppd goes down to, and if the heat subsides.)

-MN Scout
 
MN Scout said:
Update I dropped the cpu down to 2.1ghz :( I'll keep you updated on what the ppd goes down to, and if the heat subsides.)

-MN Scout
why not just clean out your case. i really think that's where the heat is being trapped...
 
Heh I would but since the side panel is off I think all the heat is just escaping. And since I'm sitting here in my room sweating away, I really think that it's just my room. I looked at the case and it's clean, heatsink clean to. In all seriousness I didn't like seeing the temp that high, so the speed is coming down. 55 is the max I like to do.

-MN Scout
 
A64 3500+ stock 2.2, running at 2.4 right now, I cheat and just use the default Asus 10% overclock on my board, tested stable, and it's been folding full tilt without a lost WU in the last 6 months. :D

And it runs at a nice, cool 37 C.

 
p[H]ant0m said:
A64 3500+ stock 2.2, running at 2.4 right now, I cheat and just use the default Asus 10% overclock on my board, tested stable, and it's been folding full tilt without a lost WU in the last 6 months. :D

And it runs at a nice, cool 37 C.


What are you using to cool the cpu?

-MN Scout
 
MN Scout said:
yeah maybe I'll post a thread with my watercooling research. I was actually really considering the watercooling, and now that I have this new studio apartment that has sucky AC I'll probably go and buy my first watercooling components ever, just so I dont fry any of my components. I'll get to work on it sometime this week.

-Mn Scout
ps. ppd has dropped to 296
i did homebrew watercooling. i don't use it now because a) i'm worried about my HD corrupting (which apparently i shouldn't be, so that's kinda null and void now) and b) having a 5 gallon tank is kinda annoying. i need some 120mm fans for the radiator and i don't have the money to get some panaflos. bgmicro doesn't carry them anymore... i missed them there :( still kinda pissed about that. oh well, back to watching the hot deals forum like a hawk (i.e. when i get the chance) for hot deals on 120mm fans.
 
MN Scout said:
What are you using to cool the cpu?

-MN Scout

Thermalright XP-120, with Panaflo M1A

It's in a CM Stacker with the cross flow fan and 2x80mm Stealths to draw air out.


 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top