The waiting game...

Joined
Dec 2, 2006
Messages
15
I plan on getting a new desktop with a eVGA 8800GTX but is it really late in the game to get one? Should I just wait for the new 8900GTX or whatever the new card is going to be called?

ATI is supposed to release thier lineup around April so I figured Nvidia would be right on their tail.
 
I'd assume you'll be able to get a 8800 much cheaper than now when the 8900 comes out. Depends on your budget/needs.
 
I'm in a similar boat, I'm using onboard video until the new line for either side comes out. Is it worth waiting for the next line-up?

I wanna play some new games and I don't really want to wait a month.:( :(
 
I'm in a similar boat, I'm using onboard video until the new line for either side comes out. Is it worth waiting for the next line-up?

I wanna play some new games and I don't really want to wait a month.:( :(

Haha. I'm in the exact same boat.

I figure I'll wait until mid next month to see the next NV wave if nothing else. Its pretty close.

As for the OP, I say get it now if you want. It may be a decent amount of time until the 8900's are out, and the perfomance gap couldnt be 'that' huge.
 
I wouldn't wait. I bought my 8800GTX last week and have been very happy. The R600 keeps being pushed back and every rumored release date has been wrong (like supposedly being released today). If you're worried about buying a card and then seeing the next version sooner than expected, like the 8900/8800Ultra, then get an Evga. That way you can still step up within 90 days.
 
Yeah, I'd say step up is a pretty good hedge against those short-term buyer's remorse situations. As a stop-gap, their GTS 320 card is currently right around the cheapest after MIR too, so you don't have to pay a brand premium to get the step up goodness.
 
WAIT... for the 8900GTX. It will be the same price as the 8800 when it was released and also its gonna be faster and more efficient in the cooling department and there not gonna be a foot long lol., so why not wait.
 
At this point I would get a 8800gts 640 meg card. Its basicly wasteful to buy a 8800GTX with the next series coming soon. Atleast a 8800gts will last you for awhile and cost less.
 
I really wanted to show off my new rig for the Noreaster in May (New England Lan party), so I took a gamble and bought it last weekend, I figure the step-up for my purchase ends late June, just in time for me to get whatever is EVGA's flagship for my birthday.:D
 
I really wanted to show off my new rig for the Noreaster in May (New England Lan party), so I took a gamble and bought it last weekend, I figure the step-up for my purchase ends late June, just in time for me to get whatever is EVGA's flagship for my birthday.:D

I bought my GTX 2 weeks ago with the same thought. I am going on vacation for 2 weeks in May so I'm hoping for the 89's by then to step up. Of course, with the way it's sounding, the 89's might not come out until mid-summer, and they might cost $650+.

I'm definitely enjoying the GTX whatever happens! It's a great card, but any review could tell you that in a thousand different ways.
 
I did not know about the Step-Up program so that helps me a bunch. I am going to wait till the end of April to build my PC (Intel should be price cutting if it is not just a rumor). Thxs for the replys.
 
Not to be a spoil sport but the step-up program will likely cost you more than if you wait and get the card at newegg or another store.

Check out the prices eVGA is selling their cards for on their site compared to the price newegg is charging.

eVGA Geforce 8800 GTS 320mb
eVGA - $299
Newegg - $259 (after $20 rebate)

eVGA Geforce 8800 GTS 640mb
eVGA - $439
Newegg - $359 (after $30 rebate)

eVGA Geforce 8800 GTX
eVGA - $619
Newegg - $539 (after $30 rebate)

I know you get full price (after rebate) for selling your card back to eVGA but you're basically ensuring them that they can get the inflated price they're charging for buying at their site. The better the card, the more inflated the price on eVGA's site. So if the new 8900 GTX is $650 on normal sites, how much will eVGA charge on their site? $750?

If you want an 8900, then you're better off money-wise to wait and forget about the step-up program.
 
Not to be a spoil sport but the step-up program will likely cost you more than if you wait and get the card at newegg or another store.

Check out the prices eVGA is selling their cards for on their site compared to the price newegg is charging.

eVGA Geforce 8800 GTS 320mb
eVGA - $299
Newegg - $259 (after $20 rebate)

eVGA Geforce 8800 GTS 640mb
eVGA - $439
Newegg - $359 (after $30 rebate)

eVGA Geforce 8800 GTX
eVGA - $619
Newegg - $539 (after $30 rebate)

I know you get full price (after rebate) for selling your card back to eVGA but you're basically ensuring them that they can get the inflated price they're charging for buying at their site. The better the card, the more inflated the price on eVGA's site. So if the new 8900 GTX is $650 on normal sites, how much will eVGA charge on their site? $750?

If you want an 8900, then you're better off money-wise to wait and forget about the step-up program.

Well, step up is a way to get your cake and eat it to. You pay a price for step-up so you can have a cool video card now but its still cheaper than refunding(15% restocking at alot of places) and getting a new card.
 
Back
Top