The Vista Black Hole

LstBrunnenG

Supreme [H]ardness
Help! I use Trillian, and it automatically saves downloads to a folder in C:\Program Files\Trillian\Users\Default\Downloads. However, Trillian runs without administrative privileges, and thus has no permission to put things in that folder. A friend sent me a few files over AIM. I know I have them...somewhere...but I can't find them! That folder doesn't exist. When someone sends me a new file, I can go into the "save as" dialog and see all my files, but when I click on their properties, or even play them in Media Player, their location is reported as in the Program Files folder, when they are most certainly not there!

Clearly, Vista is redirecting these files to somewhere I do have privileges, but I cannot find where that is. I like to call it Vista's Black Hole. Even a search of non-indexed locations for the exact filename yields nothing. Does anyone know where these files would get dumped?

I would say if a full search didn't find them, they just aren't there...

But I would look in your user profile, something to the effect of c:\users\username\programs

They're there. I can play them in Media Player. They exist, I just can't find them.

Go to the folder in question and if you can't "see" it then type the full path in the address bar. Then on the top bar with options there should be a view compatibilty option of some sort. Just click there and choose something like view all files.

Let me boot into Vista real quick and verify this again =)

edit - Here's what I think the problem is...just dl'd two small files and went to check and they weren't there, 0 files. Clicked on compatibility files and poof they showed up.

untitled9xc.jpg

untitled12tw.jpg

Hehe... usually people have to hide their pr0n, it usually does not hide from them. ;) But yeah - check under your c:\users\username folder and potentially in any folder named trillian.

I learned recently that programs who have user data is usually installed under c:\Programs Data\..., which is a hidden folder. You need to change the option to display all, go to this folder and check if Trillian made a folder there for the user data.

Go to the folder in question and if you can't "see" it then type the full path in the address bar. Then on the top bar with options there should be a view compatibilty option of some sort. Just click there and choose something like view all files.

Let me boot into Vista real quick and verify this again =)

edit - Here's what I think the problem is...just dl'd two small files and went to check and they weren't there, 0 files. Clicked on compatibility files and poof they showed up.
And they appeared!

C:\Users\Roz\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Trillian\users\default\downloads was the path to what I was looking for. Thanks! :)

Back