The ultimate matrix + vista ultimate = no go (DRM)

Simpson5774

2[H]4U
Well I have a legitimate copy of "the ultimate matrix" on regular DVDs, I goto put the disk in on my vista computer, with WMP11, or media player classic, I get some kind of error saying that the disk is copy protected and something about my video card and to upgrade the drivers.

MY video card does have HDCP but that shouldn't matter being a regular DVD.

The disk works fine with no problems on XP.

I have a legitimate DVD and I am trying to play it with a legitimate copy of vista ultimate, and its a no go, no wonder why piracy wins out.

I just think it's crap that you can't even use media you legitimately buy. If a company is going to treat you like a criminal, you might as well behave like one.

I don't know about that particular disk, but I do know that some DVDs have copy protection software that installs on autorun. Finding executible files on your DVDs is an obvious sign. I don't know if this is the cause of your problem, but if you don't need it then I suggest disabling autorun on your optical drives!

hell my copy of BAMBI doesnt work in either powerdvd or media center
but it plays just fine in the standalone dvd player

Well I have a legitimate copy of "the ultimate matrix" on regular DVDs, I goto put the disk in on my vista computer, with WMP11, or media player classic, I get some kind of error saying that the disk is copy protected and something about my video card and to upgrade the drivers.

MY video card does have HDCP but that shouldn't matter being a regular DVD.

The disk works fine with no problems on XP.

I have a legitimate DVD and I am trying to play it with a legitimate copy of vista ultimate, and its a no go, no wonder why piracy wins out.

You're very technical in your troubleshooting methods. /:rolleyes:

Have you tried to update you codecs?

Try some other media plyaers; VLC, mPlayer, Songbird, etc?

Have you tried contacting MS?

I had an issue a while back where my DVD R/W drive was near death and, before it stopped reading discs all together, the DRM codecs that allow Windows to play DRM infested DVD's got corrupted. They sent me a link, off I went and all was well until the drive just gave out. I then purchased a new drive, and all went back to normal. The drive in question was 2.5+ years old. Just about right for a $30 piece of hardware.

Point is, doesn't sound like you've tried much..Except, falling deeper, and deeper down the rabbit-hole of unethical logic.

I know EXACTLY what happened... I think... because this happened to me. Anything with upgrading the video card or optical drive sometimes sparks this to happen...

What I did to fix this problem IS.... reinstall Vista. Problem went away... =(

( I upgraded from a 6800GT to an 8600GT and the problem showed up )

I have this problem on xp mce, wmp11 will not play dvd's giving that error but media center will play them fine. Wmp11 is just messed up is all.

I don't know about that particular disk, but I do know that some DVDs have copy protection software that installs on autorun. Finding executible files on your DVDs is an obvious sign. I don't know if this is the cause of your problem, but if you don't need it then I suggest disabling autorun on your optical drives!

When you goto the DVD and right click it, in bold letters it says "Run enhanced content", when you click it you get a popup asking you to install interactual player 2.0, but it stops you saying "this program has known compatability issues", asking you to install or not.

First off, Fuck Interactual player.

You're very technical in your troubleshooting methods. /:rolleyes:

Have you tried to update you codecs?

Try some other media plyaers; VLC, mPlayer, Songbird, etc?

Have you tried contacting MS?

I had an issue a while back where my DVD R/W drive was near death and, before it stopped reading discs all together, the DRM codecs that allow Windows to play DRM infested DVD's got corrupted. They sent me a link, off I went and all was well until the drive just gave out. I then purchased a new drive, and all went back to normal. The drive in question was 2.5+ years old. Just about right for a $30 piece of hardware.

Point is, doesn't sound like you've tried much..Except, falling deeper, and deeper down the rabbit-hole of unethical logic.

Secondly, I have the full K-lite codec pack, which I downloaded off the site last month, its not the newest but it would cover w/e you need to play basically any media format, HD formats included. Both of my Lite-on DVD burners are running fine, 2 years, thousands of burns, and they are still relativity quiet, and their still in their prime.

Why would I call microsoft?, it would just be a waste of time, thats why we have [H]ardforum,

I just put this disk into my windows XP SP2 laptop, it played in media player classic, end of story, it still asked you to install interactual, but you didnt need it to play the dvd.

Is vista forcing me to install interactual or is this some sort of technical hiccup that could be overlooked? It would actualy make more sense if it was vista locking me in and not some issue in the OS, because except for the bloatedness, and the slow network transfer, vista has been solid for me so far.

Secondly, I have the full K-lite codec pack, which I downloaded off the site last month, its not the newest but it would cover w/e you need to play basically any media format, HD formats included. Both of my Lite-on DVD burners are running fine, 2 years, thousands of burns, and they are still relativity quiet, and their still in their prime.

Why would I call microsoft?, it would just be a waste of time, thats why we have [H]ardforum,

I just put this disk into my windows XP SP2 laptop, it played in media player classic, end of story, it still asked you to install interactual, but you didnt need it to play the dvd.

Is vista forcing me to install interactual or is this some sort of technical hiccup that could be overlooked? It would actualy make more sense if it was vista locking me in and not some issue in the OS, because except for the bloatedness, and the slow network transfer, vista has been solid for me so far.

Have you tried removing K-lite and reinstalling?

I'm suggesting call MS because that's what their support is for, issue related to their OS--which includes DRM errors/issues customers may have.

This issue is nearly identical to mine, save for the failing drive. The link MS sent me to was to update DRM codecs the operating system uses(thus, a layer below application codecs). Yes, it sucks, I know. But, it's not entirely Windows' fault, Warner Bros (and the entire Recording and Motion Picture industry) share a heavy load of the blame for issues like this, for legitimate customers. After all, they thought it brilliant to subject paying customers to the worst, overgeneralized, ill-conceived, misleading, Anti-Piracy/Anti-Downloading/Anti-P2P ad-placement ever--and to top it off, they place it at the beginning of material that the legitimate customers PAY for.

I also have the set for Matrix Ultimate, and have yet to have a problem playing any of the dvds included. That's why I don't think this is a Vista and/or Matrix Ultimate Set related issue. ;)

DRM issue, yes.

VLC

thats all you ever need

QFT, especially now that I know how to stream with it. ;)

Is this a Sony DVD by any chance? There seems to be a lot of issues playing some Sony titles on computers, even when they should be working fine. If is, the issue is Sony's, and I'd suggest calling them up and complaining.

Kmplayer works like a charm for me with anything I toss at it.

Its not the player I am having an issue with, its Vista restricting this DVD.

Their are no marks that this DVD is made by sony.

Edit. This DVD does play in VLC player, which is good I guess, I have always prefered media player classic however, it doesn't make sense tho why this DVD would play in MPC on XP but not on vista.

Their are no marks that this DVD is made by sony.

Edit. This DVD does play in VLC player, which is good I guess, I have always prefered media player classic however, it doesn't make sense tho why this DVD would play in MPC on XP but not on vista.

if it plays in VLC (told you \o/) then this aint vista restricting this DVD.

if it plays in VLC (told you \o/) then this aint vista restricting this DVD.

Then explain to me what is restricting it? no one has given me a good answer.

This is intresting, ive been trying some of my other DVDs on this machine to see if they will play, first I Tried my regular non "ultimate" copy of the matrix, gave me the same issues listed in the OP, then i tried pirates of the Caribbean, same deal, it keeps asking me to install interactual.

Now I honestly don't remember the last time I put a DVD movie in here, but i know at somepoint I have, I don't remember because it just worked, why does it want me to install that spyware riddled program, why is vista making me install this program to watch DVDs?.

I wouldn't cop an attitude with eeyrjmr simply because he isn't giving you a detailed dissertation on what exactly is wrong. He gave you a workaround with is VLC. As mentioned, it's definitely not Vista or a DRM issue, but more likely a conflict/corruption of some codecs. My guess is, since you seem to have several media players installed, they are conflicting with one another. I have yet to find anything that WMP by itself couldn't play, so I haven't had a need to install VLC, MPlayer, MPC, etc. However, if you do have several installed at once, use the one that works for your DVDs, which is VLC. If VLC can play the DVDs, than VIsta isn't forcing you to install Interactual to get it working. You likely have a conflict of codecs somewhere else.

VLC likely works because it uses libdvdcss to decrypt css'ed DVDs (incidentally this also makes it illegal in the US). For whatever reason, it seems like the default decss library in Vista is refusing to decrypt the disc (probably used by the majority of Windows based media players; ie. not VLC).

Also, reportedly, RPC1 drives do not play DVD movies in Vista. You'd likely know if you have an RPC1 drive though, since you have to make it that way manually, or you have a drive sold before 2001 IIRC.

edit: I thought I'd also mention since you said "MY video card does have HDCP but that shouldn't matter being a regular DVD". Apparently at some point, the DVD Forum decided to not allow stand-alone DVD players to output on TMDS/DVI/HDMI without support for HDCP. I'm not sure whether this applies to computers, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me.

You seem to be stuck on this being a Vista-centric issue, so no matter what we suggest you're going to continue to think this. I suggested VLC, mPlayer, etc earlier because these media players don't use the same encryption/decryption standard that most heavy weight DRM relies on.

To top it off, you haven't given us too much to go off of. We have some fundamental bits to the issue, but nothing detailed. Such as,

[Snip..] I get some kind of error saying that the disk is copy protected and something about my video card and to upgrade the drivers.

What Kind of Error? Can you take a screenshot, snippet, or write out what the error says exactly?

Also, if you've had any major software(drivers, SP's, etc) or hardware(new additions) changes recently?

[Snip..] MY video card does have HDCP but that shouldn't matter being a regular DVD.

Your video card may have HDCP, but, if you're referring to the card in your sig then I hope you read the fine print from AMD/ATI.

Radeon 1950 Series Overview said:
Playing HDCP content requires additional HDCP ready components, including but not limited to an HDCP ready monitor, disc drive, multimedia application and computer operating system.

http://ati.amd.com/products/RadeonX1950/x1950pro.html

Now I honestly don't remember the last time I put a DVD movie in here, but i know at somepoint I have, I don't remember because it just worked, why does it want me to install that spyware riddled program, why is vista making me install this program to watch DVDs?.

Again, please stop trying to place blame on one generalized item until you are aware of the full scope of the issue. You are convoluting this issue with some sort of phobia, possibly created by the mounds of FUD most bloggers call news(read: sensationalizism), which will only server to obscure the real problem and how it can be solved...

Here's some Microsoft KB's that may, or may not, be related to this issue. Without knowing more, it's hard to narrow down the issue.

• The Windows Media Digital Rights Management system may not work if your computer hardware changes
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/891664
  • Windows Media Player 11 cannot play DRM-protected content on Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935336/
  • You may be redirected to a Web page when you try to play Windows Media DRM protected content after you upgrade to Windows Media Player 11 or to Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919589
  • DRM FAQ
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/faq/drm.mspx

You seem to be stuck on this being a Vista-centric issue, so no matter what we suggest you're going to continue to think this. I suggested VLC, mPlayer, etc earlier because these media players don't use the same encryption/decryption standard that most heavy weight DRM relies on.

No, you just said to try VLC player, you didn't give me the explanation that jimmyB did, (thank you BTW).

To top it off, you haven't given us too much to go off of. We have some fundamental bits to the issue, but nothing detailed. Such as,

What do you want, a hex dump? thats the jist of what the error said, the error gave me an explanation blaming the video card drivers, it didn't list specifics so I didn't.

What Kind of Error? Can you take a screenshot, snippet, or write out what the error says exactly?

Read above

Also, if you've had any major software(drivers, SP's, etc) or hardware(new additions) changes recently?

Another hard drive, everything else is intact.

Your video card may have HDCP, but, if you're referring to the card in your sig then I hope you read the fine print from AMD/ATI.

X1900s I believe were the ones marked as HDCP but weren't. I am taking sapphires word, but I am positive it has HDCP, they settled that BS.

Again, please stop trying to place blame on one generalized item until you are aware of the full scope of the issue. You are convoluting this issue with some sort of phobia, possibly created by the mounds of FUD most bloggers call news(read: sensationalizism), which will only server to obscure the real problem and how it can be solved...

Are you honestly giving microsoft the benefit of the doubt?

Here's some Microsoft KB's that may, or may not, be related to this issue. Without knowing more, it's hard to narrow down the issue.

Yeah, none of that helps in the least. All its referring too is windows DRM based media files, not DVD and their DRM protections.

Heres my theory. I was under the impression that HD-DVD and blu-ray and other legally downloadable HD formats to be played at their full resolution, need to have HDCP enabled devices at every chain. HDCP compatible video card, monitor, motherboard, and the disk drive (I honestly never heard of HDCP on regular DVD drives, but that mite just be standard on high def drives.

Maybe one way or another microsoft made the same apply to regular DVDs? And VLC is the quick fix.

I uninstalled and reintalled Klite codec pack to the latest version, still no love.

This is intresting, ive been trying some of my other DVDs on this machine to see if they will play, first I Tried my regular non "ultimate" copy of the matrix, gave me the same issues listed in the OP, then i tried pirates of the Caribbean, same deal, it keeps asking me to install interactual.

how should I know and why should I care, I use Linux and VLC has ALWAYS worked for me. I recomend it to all linux users, Windows users and even MAC users and why? because it just works

how should I know and why should I care, I use Linux and VLC has ALWAYS worked for me. I recomend it to all linux users, Windows users and even MAC users and why? because it just works

Yeah, and K-lite codec pack / Media player classic used to just work even better until this one thing poped up. If I could get w/e VLC does to work with WMP11/MPC I would do it.

But this really isn't your thread here, seeing as you got to wave linux in my face here like I care.

Yeah, and K-lite codec pack / Media player classic used to just work even better until this one thing poped up. If I could get w/e VLC does to work with WMP11/MPC I would do it.

But this really isn't your thread here, seeing as you got to wave linux in my face here like I care.

excuse me! WTF is your problem. You came here with an issue, I provided a solution (which worked) and you are continually giving me attitute

fuckit, your name is being added to the blacklist, can seriously do without yr sort of forum-noise

thats gratitude for you...

I provided a solution (which worked) and you are continually giving me attitute
Honestly, I've accused you of doing that often in the past (throwing Linux into threads were it didn't belong), but that's not what was going on in here. VLC is a valid solution and is working, so it attains the desired result. I also offered a suggestion that was ignored, to eliminate other apps and codec packages, but such is life. Sometimes when you give someone a free lunch, they want a free dinner as well.

excuse me! WTF is your problem. You came here with an issue, I provided a solution (which worked) and you are continually giving me attitute

fuckit, your name is being added to the blacklist, can seriously do without yr sort of forum-noise

thats gratitude for you...

You told me to download VLC, No reason, just telling me to download another program. JimmyB gave me a reason on WHY I would want VLC, not you, not that other guy making long posts.

I didn't give you people attitude, you people just wanted to pick a fight because you preceving this post is out of technical incompetence and not because their is an actual problem, when a legit DVD doesn't work with a legit copy of vista but it does work in xp, thier is a problem. VLC is a workaround, not the optimal solution which is for it to work in windows media player / MPC because their is no valid reason for why vista is blocking my usage of my DVDs other than it has locked me out due to some error with the copy protection.

You want to get pissed off because I told you not to bring linux discussion into a topic which clearly states "windows vista" on the tittle. I don't care if VLC is on linux or mac OSX, I wouldn't have THIS issue on those operating systems anyways.

Why would I give a shit if you put me on some blacklist because I don't give you the time of day because giving me non relevant info? Why because you recommended VLC and it worked? So did jimmyB, but he explained to me why this program would work, and not just telling me to install another program on my already jam packed hard drives.

I need a solution to a problem, I need to know how this happened, and I need to know how it is fixed, not an answer out of the back of a text book, Or a valid explanation of why what I want wont work for this legitimate problem. You have given me nether, you have only come in here to attempt to make me look bad.

Honestly, I've accused you of doing that often in the past (throwing Linux into threads were it didn't belong), but that's not what was going on in here. VLC is a valid solution and is working, so it attains the desired result. I also offered a suggestion that was ignored, to eliminate other apps and codec packages, but such is life. Sometimes when you give someone a free lunch, they want a free dinner as well.

The two things you said was, A it may be a problem relating to a sony dvd drive, which I said in a later post wasnt my case beause both of my drives are lite-on. The other post was a good idea, but I wouldn't know how to detect said codec conflict without some more speifics, and uninstalling and reinstalling k-lite codec pack (my main source for video codecs and a program which hasn't failed me yet) didn't help me any. Except for the codecs installed by vista, k-lite is the only other source for codecs on this computer, maybe ill try to run the dvd w/o codec pack when I get home from work.

Thx for your input, it helped but it wasn't what I needed.

I've never had anything but problems with K-lite. Just get the codecs you use for encoding individually, and some key codecs (like Xvid, x264) for playback, then use VLC for the rest (or everything if you want).

Double-U-Tee-Eff

You need to crawl back from whatever rock you came from..

You're obviously skeptical of Microsoft.. Yet, you use their OS.
You don't want Linux "talk" brought into YOUR thread.. But can't stand MS.
You don't show one lick of gratitude for each individual posting here to help you-- volunatrily..

You can't work with, or take, a solution if it smacked you in the face..

Take your conspiracy theories elsewhere.. And call Geek Squad to fix your stuff. I'll continue watching all my DRM-laden DVD's and Downloaded Movies with WMP11, WMC, VLC, or mPlayer on Windows Vista and any other OS; without a problem.

Double-U-Tee-Eff

You need to crawl back from whatever rock you came from..

You're obviously skeptical of Microsoft.. Yet, you use their OS.
You don't want Linux "talk" brought into YOUR thread.. But can't stand MS.
You don't show one lick of gratitude for each individual posting here to help you-- volunatrily..

You can't work with, or take, a solution if it smacked you in the face..

Take your conspiracy theories elsewhere.. And call Geek Squad to fix your stuff. I'll continue watching all my DRM-laden DVD's and Downloaded Movies with WMP11, WMC, VLC, or mPlayer on Windows Vista and any other OS; without a problem.

So what, you know the answer to my problem the whole time, but you come here to troll my thread? Because im anti-DRM, and microsoft's products have had nothing but filled with it ever since MCE 2005, and it pisses me off when legal products fail to work because of it.

I don't show gratitude for trolls, I show gratitude for the people who help me, people should want to help me because this is an actual problem of mine with a piece of software, a peice of software alot of people use w/o problem, not because they want thankyous left and right for it. Just because I use a product doesn't mean I don't have the right to criticize it, I am sorry that it eats you up inside, but im not here for your bleeding heart to microsoft.

Thanks for bringing down a perfectly legitimate thread because you can't stand the fact that maybe microsoft fucked up, and this isn't one of the 30 odd thousand bugs they have had to fix in their latest OS so far. I still can't get my network transfers up anywhere near the speeds of on XP, maybe you can give them a call, tell them to get on that.

No Name Calling -Rich

Everyone needs to cool it. If you guys can't discuss the issue like adults then please don't post.

Back