The Ultimate Geek Keychain

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, Jan 17, 2017.

1. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

We have made more than our fair share of CPU die "keychains" over the years. This is the coolest one I have seen in a long time though and comes to us via 3D Center. The video shows you how to reflow (de-flow) a CPU or GPU package and then sand it down to reveal all the goodness inside by hand. Certainly a good lapping tool could cut your time down below 4 hours! And of course, what a better use of an old Xbox CPU/GPU is there?

2. Dan_D

Dan_D [H]ardOCP Motherboard Editor

I may have to do this. I've got a crap ton of old CPU's and GPU's lying around.

FrgMstr and tunatime like this.
  3. Lifelite

Lifelite 2[H]4U

That looks like a ton of work for a fancy key chain that's just going to stab your leg while in your pocket.

IcePickFreak and Bandalo like this.
  4. PhotoBobBarker

PhotoBobBarker [H]Lite

I wonder if you could attach the epoxy side to something like one of the vibration tools and start at something like u5-10 grit?

FrgMstr likes this.
  5. tunatime

tunatime 2[H]4U

Chicks will love it and be all over your with that on

cyclone3d and daglesj like this.
  6. ir0nw0lf

ir0nw0lf [H]ardness Supreme

True that, chicks dig guys with big chips. :p

drescherjm and tunatime like this.
  7. Uncle

Uncle 2[H]4U

Hey Babe, look what I made for you, took me hrs of true grit. OHHH honey Ohhhh you do love me. Ahh what is it? Well you have to hold it under a light at an angle......... Haven't we had this discussion before.

TwistedAegis, deaedius and tunatime like this.
  8. Seventyfive

Seventyfive [H]ard|Gawd

For some reason I thought your reply was first directed toward the post directly above you talking about "vibration tools"....

9. TorxT3D

TorxT3D Gawd

way to much work.

10. dsystem

dsystem Limp Gawd

It's cool but the process seems inefficient with all the 'local lapping'... Couldn't he start with some device to apply even pressure across the whole chip?

11. Simplyfun

Simplyfun Gawd

I've done this before, I just glued the epoxy coated top to a palm sander pad and in turn let the sander "float" on a couple of slats I had cut and sanded to the right height. I just ignored it while it ran, the sander was heavy enough as it is and when the sanding pad touched the wooden slats I was done for the most part. Polishing the epoxy is quick once you remove it from the sander pad as is the final step -polishing of the exposed die. Once you have the slats at the right height keep them and reuse for same chip in the future.

12. IcePickFreak

IcePickFreak [H]ard|Gawd

It's cool, but $5 on the display at the cash register cool. Not 4+ hours of lapping it myself cool.

13. DocSavage

DocSavage 2[H]4U

Yeah, you can see where he has some gouges in the chip as well. You could probably just carefully foam tape a cpu cooler's base to the top of the chip for even pressure. Well, I'm not sure if foam tape would withstand that much horizontal force for four hours of constant work in water though.

14. Ur_Mom

Ur_Mom I'm Not Serious

I had an old Pentium that I removed the 'lid' from and it had the visible tie. Of course, it also has a huge nic in it from the Dremel... I don't have the steadiest of hands. :D

15. DocSavage

DocSavage 2[H]4U

Well, it's not like it'd be in perfect shape smashed against keys for the rest of its life anyway I suppose.

16. DocSavage

DocSavage 2[H]4U

I have an '06 Pentium dual core that might be fun to try this on.

That xbox chip didn't have a damn heatspreader. anyone know how to get them off? Can I just use the oven/burner to melt the glue?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  17. Ur_Mom

Ur_Mom I'm Not Serious

I used to have an Intel keychain from Intel that was a 486 die encased in acrylic. I got it years ago. The plastic was all scuffed and the plastic part broke where the keychain went, but I probably still have that somewhere.

I'd love to see someone get a bunch of dies (or wafer and get it cut) and do something similar. It's some nerdy shit. Awesome and interesting nerdy shit! :)

18. TwistedAegis

TwistedAegis [H]ardForum Junkie

Make an entire rubiks cube out of those, that would be awesome.

19. DocSavage

DocSavage 2[H]4U

Lets see. 4 hours of polishing for 1 piece * 9 pieces per side * 6 sides = 216 hours of fun and then all the sides would look the same :D

TwistedAegis likes this.
  20. Uncle

Uncle 2[H]4U

Only if you used the same processor. A man of your intellect would have no problem differentiating the chips.;)

TwistedAegis and DocSavage like this.