Kde vs. Gnome
CLI vs. GUI
vi vs. Emacs

and now...

MORE vs LESS!!!!

have it it!!!!

;)

less is more, everyone knows that.

I think redhat vs everything then everything vs. redhat is redundent, correct me if i'm wrong.

Tweakin said:
less is more, everyone knows that.

I think redhat vs everything then everything vs. redhat is redundent, correct me if i'm wrong.

vs. is non-commutative.

yeah, well you guys suck because i say so.

more is awesome!

(actually, i've never even used more... i'm a less kind of guy)

Not necessarily. He might mean just logging in as root whenever necessary (or all the time!).

jimmyb said:
Not necessarily. He might mean just logging in as root whenever necessary (or all the time!).

this is the epitome of convenience. no more insufficient privs, no more sudo'ing all the time, no more su'ing all the time.

man, everybody should just log in as root forever. heck, give the average joe root access, he'll be much happier.

...and keep a couple backups of your data...

nameless_centurian said:
yeah, well you guys suck because i say so.

more is awesome!

(actually, i've never even used more... i'm a less kind of guy)

more doesn't have backwards navigation (you can go down, but almost never can you go up). Is it still awesome? :D

Q-Ball said:
What about x-term vs. other terminal emulators?

The choice is clear...rxvt-unicode. :)

What about bash vs. tcsh? I use bash mainly, but like tcsh more.

BillLeeLee said:
What about bash vs. tcsh? I use bash mainly, but like tcsh more.

ksh :p

I love the vi editing mode, but mostly use bash anyway, because I am a lazy typist and ksh doesn't have as nice of an auto-complete feature.

You forgot binary-based software-distrubution methods (rpm, etc.) vs source-based software-distribution methods (ports, portage, etc.). Of course, the only correct answer (like with most of the other "fights" listed) is what you're using it for.

Oh...I like xterm better than the other terms, mostly cause it actually renders TrueType fonts and the like correctly. I've never had good luck getting anything else to render TrueType fonts properly. Maybe they (rxvt, etc.) just don't get built right...

Kate over vi. Vi over emacs. And I rather like ee for small edits.
More is more, but most is neat.
BSD over Linux.
*BSD/Linux/Unix over Windows. Except for games.
Konsole is konvenient. (And works fine with the fonts I've thrown at it)
KDE is useful, but I'll scale down with XFCE4 or IceWM if I need something lighter.
Qt > GTK.
Tcsh is a better interactive shell than bash, but I write scripts for /bin/sh.
Python > perl.
I log in as root when I plan to work on something that needs it.

That should more or less cover it?

Q-Ball said:
What about x-term vs. other terminal emulators?

Console vs. X-window applications?

vi/vim FTW

Eterm! pretty/transparent backgrounds

might as well have it look nice

Linux vs. Windows: Well, it depends. Windows for games, linux for everything-else.
Linux vs. Unix: Haven't used unix enough to tell. I do know not to use "killall" though ;) Did that on Solaris once as root, on a compute node for a shared-userspace machine (I dunno the technical term, but it's a bunch of machines that look like one N-processor machine to users). Cluster admin was not happy. Luckily, dad got over it. :p
Linux vs. BSD: Again, not enough experience with it. I may install OpenBSD to get my firewall load-balancing like I want it to, but not until I've exhausted the Linux option.
RedHat vs. everything: Redhat soured me on package managers until I ran into apt. I can't forgive them for that. In the RH7/8/9 days, it was easier to grab something and build it from source than find the proper RPMs and dependencies for your version of RH. No thanks. RHEL/Fedora 4+ I can deal with if it's properly updated, but anything else is a no.
Kde vs. Gnome: KDE, hands down, but I really wish they'd put KIO into FUSE and make the desktop lighter. Kate > *, but it takes so long to start...
CLI vs. GUI: CLI, unless it's managing files (or watching movies). Renaming large numbers of files (in a one-at-a-time manner) is hopelessly slow in console. Not that I haven't done it that way ;)
vi vs. Emacs: vi, especially because Cream on Windows >>>>>> notepad.
MORE vs LESS: Honestly, who would pick more here?

edit: and plain-ol xterm for me, thanks ;)

doh said:
Too bad Eterm doesn't support Unicode! :( :( :(

hmmm.. yeah, I never tried unicode on it. I only speak english, and badly enough at that..

do any shells work with unicode? for commands and stuff, or just for filenames? I guess you could set a bunch of aliases.

flint338 said:
hmmm.. yeah, I never tried unicode on it. I only speak english, and badly enough at that..

do any shells work with unicode? for commands and stuff, or just for filenames? I guess you could set a bunch of aliases.

I was thinking more for IRC. If someone types å you see § or something. It really sucks when you chat in channels that don't use English as the primary language.

There are a few terminals that support unicode but I can't think of which.

doh said:
I was thinking more for IRC. If someone types å you see § or something. It really sucks when you chat in channels that don't use English as the primary language.

rxvt-unicode, konsole, and gnome-terminal claim to support unicode (haven't tried).

vi over emacs
GNOME over KDE
cli over GUI (for most things)
pears over apples
nintendo over sony
actually anyone over sony

doh said:

oh yeah.. I can see how that would suck..

now, can you just set a termcap for whatever language and keyboard you're in? and then use a font that supports the extended chars?

Back