The Ultimate Computer Desk - 2 Built-In Computers

Holy moly, I'm really sorry for the lack of updates folks - I've been sick for quite a while and the weather has been miserable so I haven't had much time to work on the desk. Apparently I had cedar poisoning! Wonderful!

Anyways - back on track!

Those of you who guessed it right - yes, I shouldn't have made the hole in the first place. I don't know what I was thinking. This is the right-hand cabinet.

img5663h.jpg

Whoops!

img5664u.jpg

Here's the biscuit joiner I was using. It worked pretty well for what it is. The tricky part was determining the order of which pieces/faces/sides to glue first and how to keep it all from falling apart before completion.

img5667.jpg

img5668z.jpg

img5671p.jpg

img5672tw.jpg

Here's the left-hand cabinet all dried and ready for some trim

img5675c.jpg

And voila, my erm.. elegant clamping solution (I need to grab some cauls!)

img5676.jpg

img5677d.jpg

Hope you enjoy! Rest assured, this project WILL BE FINISHED! Just.. mm, I don't really know when. I'm moving in a month and a half, so all the staining/sanding will have to be done, at a minimum.

Take care!

the drawers, the desktop, the computer part housings....all heavy, better make this somewhat modular otherwise, that baby ain't ever making it out of the basement.
also, don't sweat the cabinet hole, you can always use it as an out hole. put a conduit box and outlet on that baby now you got power extensions SWEET!

also. fuck moving. last time i moved was nearly 4 years ago (this upcoming october). Had help for the first six hours. too bad the move lasted 4 days. Wound up in the hospital over 2 bulging disks. my back goes out to you. good luck and godspeed.

Holy cow, how did the move last 4 days--is that both ends? The point about making it modular is a good one, though--I did that with my desk as well, and when we packed it up, it was a piece of cake.

Holy cow, how did the move last 4 days--is that both ends? The point about making it modular is a good one, though--I did that with my desk as well, and when we packed it up, it was a piece of cake.

One man, moving what was essentially a 4 bedroom house from a 2 bedroom apartment TO a 4 bedroom house. I had two kids (under 8) and a preggo wife (one month till birthing). All my mates, I worked with, so a lot of help that is when you wind up moving during the week (had to get out of the apt due to an arbitrary law about siblings sharing rooms together). No choice but to move and move alone. I'd spent the previous five months working out and running on break at work so that helped out tons, I could never have done it otherwise.

the last several desks i've made have been purposefully modular in assembly (something my daddy taught). the bunk beds i had as a kid were hand built with a handful of 2x6s and 4x4 posts. sturdy as shit and bolted with 5" bolts with 5/8" heads. Last desk i built i did the same thing and dad told me i was over board with that style, go figure.

just make sure you have help lifting that bastard when you do move it. I'd hate to read a post down the line that says, "tried moving on my own and threw out my back and then broke my femur because the desk fell on it". ALSO, may want to consider silicone gaskets and such around fans and mounting pieces. you'll be super pissed if you get it all together and your desk feels like a $5k vibrator, however, i suppose you could end up selling it to those f*machine girls for that much....just a thought

the drawers, the desktop, the computer part housings....all heavy, better make this somewhat modular otherwise, that baby ain't ever making it out of the basement.
also, don't sweat the cabinet hole, you can always use it as an out hole. put a conduit box and outlet on that baby now you got power extensions SWEET!

also. fuck moving. last time i moved was nearly 4 years ago (this upcoming october). Had help for the first six hours. too bad the move lasted 4 days. Wound up in the hospital over 2 bulging disks. my back goes out to you. good luck and godspeed.
Holy man, 4 days eh? No worries though, the desk IS modular, it breaks down into the two cabinets, the desk surface, and the upper shelf.

One man, moving what was essentially a 4 bedroom house from a 2 bedroom apartment TO a 4 bedroom house. I had two kids (under 8) and a preggo wife (one month till birthing). All my mates, I worked with, so a lot of help that is when you wind up moving during the week (had to get out of the apt due to an arbitrary law about siblings sharing rooms together). No choice but to move and move alone. I'd spent the previous five months working out and running on break at work so that helped out tons, I could never have done it otherwise.

the last several desks i've made have been purposefully modular in assembly (something my daddy taught). the bunk beds i had as a kid were hand built with a handful of 2x6s and 4x4 posts. sturdy as shit and bolted with 5" bolts with 5/8" heads. Last desk i built i did the same thing and dad told me i was over board with that style, go figure.

just make sure you have help lifting that bastard when you do move it. I'd hate to read a post down the line that says, "tried moving on my own and threw out my back and then broke my femur because the desk fell on it". ALSO, may want to consider silicone gaskets and such around fans and mounting pieces. you'll be super pissed if you get it all together and your desk feels like a $5k vibrator, however, i suppose you could end up selling it to those f*machine girls for that much....just a thought
lmao, that would be a pretty awesome 5k vibrator though...

This part of the project took a better part of a month. There was a lot of sanding, waiting, and sweating as I put on each thin layer of polyurethane on the desk surface.

Here it is at the start of the phase - what a mess!

img5696e.jpg

img5697x.jpg

You can see there was still sanding to do from when I put in the wood filler back in... November!

img5699l.jpg

All cleaned up, ready to rock the stain. It was starting to get nice as well so it was time to lube up the 'ol bike chain as well!

img5871e.jpg

img5700gc.jpg

Part way through the first coat

img5874pe.jpg

Note that this is the bottom of the desk surface. I did this intially without any kind of pre-stain or wood treatment to see if I could get away with it.

img5876g.jpg

img5878t.jpg

I actually noticed a significant amount of dark spots and uneveness, so for the top of the desk, and for all future staining, I went with a pre-stain, and two coats of Old Masters Gel Stain. Here is the desk surface approximately a month later with around 8 coats of polyurethane on top. It will be getting a good ol fashion rubbing out in another month from now once it has fully cured.

img5959.jpg

Have a good weekend everyone!

i run part of my company out of my basement right now, when i do move, i gotta pay someone to move the equipment as it's not worth to skimp on the expense and break some of the machines. so next time no back troubles, only box troubles.

HOLY SHIT that stain is good looking. I am in high mood of anticipation for the next update. I had noticed how big you were making the drawers, and it made me wonder why you went with such thick plywood for them? they'll be sturdy no doubt, but overly heavy for their use. Do you plan to store books in them? you think the weight of the drawer plus the contents will affect the track system? bowing, warping, shrinking/exp. I worry a bit about this for such a large project. You have a good weekend yourself pal.

i run part of my company out of my basement right now, when i do move, i gotta pay someone to move the equipment as it's not worth to skimp on the expense and break some of the machines. so next time no back troubles, only box troubles.

HOLY SHIT that stain is good looking. I am in high mood of anticipation for the next update. I had noticed how big you were making the drawers, and it made me wonder why you went with such thick plywood for them? they'll be sturdy no doubt, but overly heavy for their use. Do you plan to store books in them? you think the weight of the drawer plus the contents will affect the track system? bowing, warping, shrinking/exp. I worry a bit about this for such a large project. You have a good weekend yourself pal.
Thanks xjmtx, you make some good points about the thickness of the drawers. The real reason was that the 3/4 ply was such a good deal, it was actually more expensive to buy thinner ply JUST for the drawers lol. I do regret not spending the extra 15 dollars though!

woah that finish looks sexy, awesome job dude
Thanks Morphes!

So, with the main desk surface out of the way, it was time to start focusing on the top shelf portion, which, at this point, hadn't been sanded, cut perfectly, or assembled. Here were all the pieces required.

img5961.jpg

A quick mock up:

img5972.jpg

A few tests with the biscuit joiner to make sure I was aligned properly:

img5974j.jpg

img5978x.jpg

img5983n.jpg

I couldn't get it exactly in the center - the bottom of the joiner is a bit concave and it made lining it up a little difficult. The tool is generally used to join boards end to end, so there wasn't really any facility for on-face joining like this.

Assembly and glue up time:

img5987g.jpg

img5988.jpg

img5989b.jpg

Enjoy! You can never have too many clamps you know? I couldn't continue on doing the side pods until this stuff dried up first.

The stained finish on the top turned out so rich and warm looking. I can see why you are stoked about how it turned out. Very nice. Looking forward to more pics.

The stained finish on the top turned out so rich and warm looking. I can see why you are stoked about how it turned out. Very nice. Looking forward to more pics.
Thanks Wahoomcdaniel, I really hope I can get the two cabinets to the same colour!

With the first phase of the top shelf all solid and dried, I could continue on to the two side pods. Here's the initial mockup.

img5993p.jpg

img5995tp.jpg

Notice the pencil lines for the biscuits I'll be installing.

img5996i.jpg

Those biscuits are so dark and moody... lol!

img5999dv.jpg

Aaand, some gratuitous clamping shots. Like that extra-long setup? Yeah, that worked this time, but I don't recommend it. It wasn't too stable, but there wasn't really anything else I could clamp on to for that end-pressure required.

img6002u.jpg

img6009g.jpg

img6010s.jpg

Mmmm glue.

img6013b.jpg

So that's it for this update, I know it's a pretty simple one, but hey, it's one more phase done. Just needs to have some trim stuck on and then staining!

Have a good weekend!

It's an incredible build!
Something I might look into doing when I have my own place.
Thanks computergeek485 - remember - I'm doing this at a rental! ;)

Ok, so it's been a little while since an update eh?

I've been busy, sorry folks, life seems to speed up in the summertime!

As a peace offering, here are the kiddo's, at about 4 months old now!

img6018k.jpg

img6036.jpg

And, back to the desk!

I had a bunch of solid maple cut into more 1/4" strips so I could finish doing the trim on the top shelf and the cabinets.

img6059b.jpg

My trusty compound mitre saw - got it reconditioned at a bargain place for like 60 dollars, and it's been pretty reliable for a number of years now. It's loud as all heck though!

img6064a.jpg

And, my favorite part - clamping up!

img6069hm.jpg

img6071he.jpg

img6074e.jpg

And, since there was nowhere to place clamps in between this area, I had to improvise with a small block of wood!

img6076b.jpg

After the trim was glued on and then sanded flush, I proceeded with the staining and poly

img6083a.jpg

Looks good, eh?

img6085t.jpg

I also finally decided to buckle down and build myself a quick rig to store all my clamps. Since I'm moving soon, it'll also make it easier to move them to the new place! Nice lap joints eh!!

img6086l.jpg

I proceeded to the cabinet drawers, where I finally sanded off the wood filler that's been attached for weeks (months?)

img6090o.jpg

Lined up the drawer faces, glued them on (Was going to screw them on after, from behind. Lol)

img6091s.jpg

And put a bit of weight on top..

img6093y.jpg

Walked away for a bit, and realized... maybe it was a bad idea to glue them on first! Uh oh!

I decided that it might actually be a lot easier to line up the drawer faces if I attached them AFTER I had attached the drawers to the drawer slides, to I ripped em off.

So, next on the list - staining the actual drawers!

Pre-stain on!

img6098pv.jpg

Mmm, they look so good

img6101.jpg

img6103r.jpg

And, poly of course

img6110nl.jpg

img6112dm.jpg

Done!

img6115u.jpg

And just so ya know, it really did basically take a month just to finish the top shelf and the drawers... more to come soon!

Well its looking good, that stain is beautiful.

The kittens look healthy, The three of mine caught a sickness and passed.

Well its looking good, that stain is beautiful.

The kittens look healthy, The three of mine caught a sickness and passed.
Thanks mannyman, sorry to hear about your kittens. Mine are still running around having fun all day... and night! They love to creep in at 4am and jump on ya!

With the drawers themselves all stained up, it was time to stain the drawer fronts!

img6116b.jpg

Since most of the back of the drawer fronts won't be visible, I decided that I could probably stain and poly both sides at once...

Pre stain!

img6117rz.jpg

img6118xf.jpg

They look so nice like this... ahh, next project...

img6119wi.jpg

Some staining time

img6120f.jpg

img6121y.jpg

img6122p.jpg

And some sweet, sweet gloss poly.

img6123jm.jpg

Woops! One of the drawer faces slipped off the painting cones and picked up a whole whack of saw dust and wood chips... at least this will never be seen on the final project!

img6124w.jpg

With the drawers and drawer faces all finished and ready for installation, it was time to turn to finishing up the two cabinets.

First up, finishing the piece that goes on the front of the left-hand cabinet.

img6126u.jpg

And, well, not a lot of writing today, as the rest of it should look pretty straightforward. I had to cut up a bunch of trim pieces, and somehow arrange the clamps to hold them in the right place. A few of the arrangements required some creative thinking, but in the end, I got the whole cabinet trimmed up over the course of a few days.

img6127a.jpg

img6128g.jpg

Mmmm glue.

img6129s.jpg

img6130r.jpg

img6131c.jpg

img6132i.jpg

Enjoy! We're getting close to the final assembly, yay!

With the trim all glued up and dry, and the weather nice and warm, I decided to take the cabinets outside to have the trim sanded flush. I start with 80 grit to get all the bits nice and close, and then move to 120 grit with the random orbit sander in preparation for staining.

img6133pl.jpg

Everything looking pretty good on the right-hand cabinet

img6136r.jpg

img6135f.jpg

And now for the left-hand cabinet

img6138q.jpg

img6139ew.jpg

I'm under the impression that I mistakenly sanded this edge too much prior to installation, because I thought that I was going to have to squeeze this end into the dado cut at the back of the drawer. Woops! Hopefully that won't show up too much after staining.

img6141w.jpg

And, a bit of glue squeeze-out that I missed previously is easily taken care of by the sander

img6143eg.jpg

I'll be staining over the weekend, so some fresh and shiny cabinets await for next weeks early update!

Have a good weekend folks!

Well, got some time to start the staining of the cabinets this weekend, and overall, everything went pretty well. Started off with a bit of detailed sanding by hand, and then a good dusting with a tack cloth / cloth with paint thinner.

img6145v.jpg

img6147k.jpg

And then went to work applying the stain with a clean cotton rag

img6148n.jpg

img6149.jpg

They both turned out pretty well - these pictures were taken after only the first coat (A second one will go on). I find that this stain really shines once a coat of poly is put over it.

Let me tell you - getting the inside of the cabinets was quite time consuming and I really did a number on staining my arms...

img6150m.jpg

Eww! It looks like a heart! ;)

img6151p.jpg

These just look more and more incredible as they get closer to being done
Thanks computergeek485 ;) Soooo close!

I kind of forgot to take some pictures of the cabinets after I applied a pair of coats of polyurethane, but here's the status of the project so far

img6156b.jpg

Both cabinets have been poly'd, and there are only 3 more pieces to stain + poly (The two caps for the end spaces on the top shelf, and the door for the right-hand cabinet). Otherwise, I am pretty much ready to assemble.

Before assembly, however, I wanted to try a technique I had been reading about - rubbing out a finish.

You start with some baby oil and a product called rottenstone (It's a very finely ground stone)

img6159l.jpg

Apply some baby oil liberally (This slows down the cutting process. If you use water, it will speed up the cutting process)

img6162laq.jpg

Sprinkle on your rottenstone (Once again, fairly liberally. I didn't find the cutting action very aggressive at all, especially with all the baby oil)

img6163t.jpg

Take a block of wood with a soft material wrapped around it, in this case, I used a piece of cut up fleece from an old blanket, but I think a felt block is the most recommended for this.

img6164e.jpg

Go with the grain in long strokes, and rub the slurry into the wood. Its very fine cutting action should almost eliminate all dust marks, brush marks, and any small scratches.

This took quite a long time, and it was very, very messy. Baby oil rottenstone slurry everywhere. I then went through a ton of rags soaked in paint thinner cleaning it all off the desk surface in preparation for some good 'ol waxing.

img6165dn.jpg

Applied with a lint free rag, I swirled it onto the table a little bit too liberally

img6171z.jpg

I then let it dry for a few moments and "attempted" to buff it all off by hand with a clean rag. Much to my dismay, after spending 10 minutes trying to buff only but a small corner, I realized that I would never get the shine I was looking for...

img6177w.jpg

So I made a trip to my storage unit (My mom's garage) where I remembered I had an old electric car buffer in a bin...

img6181i.jpg

Booya. It was late when I got back home, so I left it and went to sleep. Have a good weekend everyone - Canada Day tomorrow here in Canada, so I'm going to enjoy the long weekend. I'm moving this weekend too, so hopefully the desk survives the trip!!

So, I finally moved this weekend, and I'm glad to say everything went pretty well. A few small parts of the desk got scuffed up, but nothing major. Here are some shots from just before being transported.

The car buffer partially worked. I ended up actually taking some more paint thinner and totally removing the wax. For some reason it didn't stick well - I think it's because I didn't remove the baby oil enough before adding the wax. Either way, it's shiny as glass and looks great.

img6184x.jpg

Then I took some 3/4" weather stripping and put it on both cabinets to prevent the desk surface from slipping and sliding:

img6187d.jpg

img6192o.jpg

img6193n.jpg

And, here's a sneak peak. Right before the move was pretty much the moment of triumph - assembling the 4 stained and poly'd pieces, and actually sitting at it. The monitors come in at perfect eye height, and the desk height is perfect as well, providing lots of forearm and elbow support.

Ahhhhhhhhh.... 8 months.

Now for the details ;)

img6203a.jpg

Looks amazing!!
such an awesome project.

I remember stumbling upon this months ago (probably close to the begining) and now I just happened to stumble into this thread again on the day it's complete.

Looking forward to seeing the whole thing set up and with computers in it.

great build.

not a huge fan of wood as a medium for a PC case, but watching your build start from nothing to an almost complete product is very cool.

being a fairly surly bloke, seeing pics of kittens/cats melts me.
don't be afraid of 'liberally' sprinkling more pics of your 4 fluffy friends.

look forward to when you have your desk setup and all your hardware installed.

cheers.

S[H]ady;1037470855 said:
Looks amazing!!
such an awesome project.

I remember stumbling upon this months ago (probably close to the begining) and now I just happened to stumble into this thread again on the day it's complete.

Looking forward to seeing the whole thing set up and with computers in it.
Thanks S[H]ady!

Its beautiful great work!
Thanks mannyman!

great build.

not a huge fan of wood as a medium for a PC case, but watching your build start from nothing to an almost complete product is very cool.

being a fairly surly bloke, seeing pics of kittens/cats melts me.
don't be afraid of 'liberally' sprinkling more pics of your 4 fluffy friends.

look forward to when you have your desk setup and all your hardware installed.

cheers.
Hehe, thanks aphasia, I'll see what I can do about some more kitten pictures ;)

I'm still getting all settled in at the new place, trying to find place for my tools and such, so hopefully I'll get some time this weekend to work on the desk more and get some updates out early next week! Have a great weekend everyone!

So - I finally had some time this weekend to do a bit of work on The Ultimate Computer Desk.

Here's a little shot of the desk as it sits now. Note that the drawers aren't installed, there's clutter everywhere, the two cabinets are not lined up in any particular fashion, and of course, no hardware has yet been installed.

img6205x.jpg

If you didn't notice, I finally said to myself "Ok Mr. You've been working on this desk for 8 months - time for a present". I ~finally~ ditched my old CRT monitor (Which was nice, at 1600x1200 resolution) and purchased myself a brand new 27" Asus. Sweet!

img6207v.jpg

That was my first new computer component in ages!

I moved on to the next part of the project, which was installing the drawers, so I got to work. Sorry about the pictures, I think I accidentally turned the auto focus off!

img6210se.jpg

img6211le.jpg

Imagine my surprise when I went to go and slide the drawer in. The drawer was too wide! I accomodated for 0.25" on each side of the drawer, for the width of the drawer slides. Unfortunately, these particular drawer slides were 3/16's of an inch wider than I accounted for... Here's a wonderfully in focus shot:

img6212t.jpg

So my options were:
1. Redo the drawers completely, making them a total of 6/16's (3/8's) skinnier, or
2. Shave off 3/16's" from each side, about 1.5" tall, along the length of both sides, of each of the drawers.

What a bummer! I thought oh well, it'll actually look pretty tidy with the sides shaved anyways, and also give additional support, so here goes!

Time to tape up my poor drawers. They're about to get scratched up pretty bad!

img6214g.jpg

Setting up the tablesaw for some "guidelines" - 3/16's of an inch deep, set the fence at 2" and then 3.5" if I remember correctly.

img6216em.jpg

And there you go, some proper guidelines for the material that will need to be removed.

img6218d.jpg

This was a pretty big surprise, but not too major, and nothing that cannot be done well.

This looks great. Subscribing!
Thanks, Uncle Humjaba!

So, after I used the table saw to make my reference cuts, I grabbed the router with a 1/2" flush cut bit, set it at the appropriate depth and went to town. Making the reference cuts made the rest of this usually tedious job easy.

img6220u.jpg

img6222o.jpg

img6225h.jpg

When I went to do the reference cuts on the shorter drawers, I realized... there were a bunch of screws in the way. Ooops! Good thing I noticed so quickly!

img6227v.jpg

I had to go and remove all woodfiller and the screws that were in the way of the 3/16's inch material removal. This meant all the screws along the bottom, and 1 or 2 at the front and back of the drawer. What a pain!

img6235tg.jpg

img6232h.jpg

img6236hy.jpg

After getting all of the extra material removed, I drilled some new counter-sink holes (Since the old ones were taken off with the router), re-inserted the screws, and gave all the dressers a light sanding, since I would have to redo the polyurethane coat anyways (They got pretty scratched up). In this pic, I had already re-stained the portion where I removed the extra material.

img6238ac.jpg

So. Next - polyurethaning the drawers... AGAIN!

awesome man! we built a few PC desks ourselves but didnt add any fancy coats of polyurethane, just left the bare ply. but awesome desk man. You should make more and seriously sell them as previously mentioned.

good to see you moved into the new place.

fucking sucks about the draw issue. it wouldn't be good 'television' if everything went smooth & to plan. gotta tell you on the projects i work on, i want them to be BORING with NO SURPRISES.

if you can deal with the hiccups in good humour, good for you.

how is the new place setup for a 'man cave' work shop? noticed in your last place you were literally in a 'cave', kitted out with nice decapitation beams.

lastly how are the animals coping with the move. show pics of the fluffly monsters!

My father-in-law is a wood shop teacher, and one of his rules is that you *always* do a test fit of the hardware before staining/varnishing.

I love the glossy look of the desk surface, BTW--kudos to you for that kind of patience.

awesome man! we built a few PC desks ourselves but didnt add any fancy coats of polyurethane, just left the bare ply. but awesome desk man. You should make more and seriously sell them as previously mentioned.
Thanks Vitafortis - it'd be nice to get into this hobby more seriously as a profession, but starting with custom-built PC desks seems like a bit of a stretch!

good to see you moved into the new place.

fucking sucks about the draw issue. it wouldn't be good 'television' if everything went smooth & to plan. gotta tell you on the projects i work on, i want them to be BORING with NO SURPRISES.

if you can deal with the hiccups in good humour, good for you.

how is the new place setup for a 'man cave' work shop? noticed in your last place you were literally in a 'cave', kitted out with nice decapitation beams.

lastly how are the animals coping with the move. show pics of the fluffly monsters!
Thanks aphasia - the drawer stuff worked out real well as you'll see below - the new place is setup well - I'm actually very close to the wood shop now, so I actually have my stuff setup there instead!! I'll see what I can do for an animal update sometime soon ;) ;)

My father-in-law is a wood shop teacher, and one of his rules is that you *always* do a test fit of the hardware before staining/varnishing.

I love the glossy look of the desk surface, BTW--kudos to you for that kind of patience.
Thanks Mohonri - I know what you mean about the test fitting before staining/varnishing - which I did - there was 0.25" available on each side, which is what the catalog said the drawer slides would measure, but the reality was that the drawer slides were slightly larger than the specification I was going by!

While getting ready to re-polyurethane the drawers, I also took the time to stain and poly the right-hand cabinet door, as well as the two pieces that will be above each of the cubby holes on the top of the desk

img6241b.jpg

img6245j.jpg

Re-polyurethaning the drawers went really well - they look fantastic

img6250m.jpg

Things have been pretty busy in the shop - have been re-glassing a war-horse of a canoe at the same time!

img6251s.jpg

Here are the first couple drawers installed. They fit perfectly - the slides fit right into the grooves that I cut out. This photo turned out a little redder than reality

img6254lc.jpg

Getting the actual slides lined up and screwed in straight took a bit of patience, but well worth the effort

img6255i.jpg

Ahh, nice and messy, but finally got the drawers in.

img6256g.jpg

Some of the things I'll need to be working on shortly:

- Front Panel (Fan controls, LED's, Power/Reset switches, USB, Audio Jacks)
- Fan Installation (Foam surrounds, filter fitting)
- Hardware selection

After the hardware is selected and installed, I will be able to focus on cable routing and placement of the drives.

shiny.

looking forward to the actual pc hardware being installed. looking good.

I wish I had your patience, I'm in the process of designing a desk to build. A desk like that would be perfect and I have all the tools, just not the skills or time. Desk looks amazing, The Pcs built into the desk is awesome. Keep up the hard work!

shiny.

looking forward to the actual pc hardware being installed. looking good.
Thanks aphasia - things are heating up, check out below!

I wish I had your patience, I'm in the process of designing a desk to build. A desk like that would be perfect and I have all the tools, just not the skills or time. Desk looks amazing, The Pcs built into the desk is awesome. Keep up the hard work!
Thanks walwalka - if you really want to build it, put a little love into it and you'll have all the patience in the world suddenly ;)

Looks awesome. You have mad skills.
Thanks wra18th!

Fantastic build :) soo shiny and pretty
Thanks Rossi~!

wow man great work, realy looking good
Thanks Savi!

Sorry for the delay in updates everyone - I've been enjoying the beautiful summer weather we've been getting lately and haven't been putting a tremendous effort into getting the desk finished.

Surprise though - I did manage to get quite a bit done, and I've had some good fortune lately as well. I expect to post several updates this week, so just to get you back into the spirit of things, here's this weeks preview!

4x Scythe Ultra Kaze 120mm x 38mm 3000RPM
4x Scythe Slipstream 120mm x 25mm 1900RPM
img6261dr.jpg

Lots of foam cutting and trimming, and a sweet, sweet ruler from the Moddders Inc Featured Rig of the Month Contest(Thanks! I'm honored!)
img6262z.jpg

Hmm, what's this?
img6263eo.jpg

Holy moly cool prize pack Modders Inc! I still can't believe I won this - perfect stuff for The Ultimate Computer Desk!
img6267w.jpg

Finally removed the protective cover from these babies - they look soo nice!
img6319j.jpg

Hmm? Another surprise?...
img6320j.jpg

Oh good lord! What kind of super monster is that!!?
img6340m.jpg

Bwahahaha
img6359o.jpg

Ok, so maybe a lot's happened in the past couple weeks. I haven't been posting any updates because I've been tinkering around with hardware AND enjoying some good outdoor times. I'm thinking that the next round of updates in the following month or so will be ultra exciting - things are starting to wrap up!

Seeya soon!

Awesome project, I love the stain. Looking forward to seeing what hardware you put in this beast :)

Back