The ultimate artifact tester - forget about 3dmark

laja

Gawd
OK this has been mentioned in another thread, but I think it deserves its own. I used to check for artifacts (when overclocking) with the nature and troll's lair scenes in 3dmark, and with Aquamark 3. But this beats them all:

http://www.daionet.gr.jp/~masa/rthdribl/

Shows very clear artifacts where the above programs run fine. Had to decrease my speeds to those in my sig to eliminate all artifacts, but I don't mind.

Originally posted by laja
Had to decrease my speeds to those in my sig to eliminate all artifacts, but I don't mind.

I'm with you man. I overclock it all but will only go as far as I can and remain perfect. Thanks for the heads up!

Yeah I have the same attitude. I overclock but only to the point where everything is totally stable under the hardest stress testing. I use this comp for everything from work to playing to communication to getting general info (like news). Can't afford any problem.

Its a great demo for sure, never thought about using it as an artifact tester though. I just tried it as that now and I think your right, it seems to be a good one indeed!

just a question: why don't you just check for artifacts in normal games? if you overclock less because you can see artifacts that aren't normally there in traditional gameplay, you're hurting your game performance! this is all assuming you want your games to perform at the maximum framerate and IQ.

Originally posted by mantastic
just a question: why don't you just check for artifacts in normal games? if you overclock less because you can see artifacts that aren't normally there in traditional gameplay, you're hurting your game performance! this is all assuming you want your games to perform at the maximum framerate and IQ.

That is all fine and good, as long as you never expect to play newer games. Newer games traditionally push your card harder than what came before it. When Overclocking anything, you want to stress test it for sort of a "worst-case-senerio", that way, whatever you throw at it later down the road, it can handle.

I would hate to set my CPU and VIDEO overclocks, then 6 months later a game comes out and crashes or flat will not run because I didn't properly stress test earlier.

Edit: Basically what I am saying, is I don't overclock game specific. Better to overclock with stability in mind.

Back