The trouble with Shuttle

gamz247

Gawd
Ok, so about a week ago I posted something about how my Shuttle SB61G2 wouldn't start up correctly. Since I was using some Kingston HyperX PC2700 that wasn't on the Shuttle's support list, I purchased some different memory.

Now I have 2x256MB of Mushkin "2-2-2 Special" PC3200... and while this memory is not explicitly on Shuttle's support list either, it seems that Mushkin has done testing with this particular memory to see that it does, in fact, work with this particular SFF PC. The processor I'm using is a P4 2.8C. I also have a PNY GeForce4 Ti4400 that I'd like to use in the system.

So, here's what should happen when I start up the computer.

1. Blue light comes on, fan starts up at a high RPM
2. Fan slows down
3. Video initializes, shows Pentium 4 logo on screen

Powering down only requires a quick press of the power button.

Here's what happens > 90% of the time.

1. Blue light comes on, fan starts up at a high RPM
2. Nothing else

Powering down requires holding the power button in for 5 seconds.

I also notice that if I try resetting the CMOS, and it's successful, the system will power on for a moment, then shut off and then power on again. Most of the time if I try to clear the CMOS, this is not what happens. Btw, the behavior that occurs most of the time is the same whether a CPU and RAM are in place or not.

Something here has to be RMA-ed, but I'm not sure if it's the processor or the SFF that's to blame. I've tried just about everything I can think of to correct this.

Any idea what the true cause of the problem could be?

It's not going to start up or post without a proc in it. It's possible you may have gotten a bad Shuttle mobo. They're customer service is pretty good, so call them about and see about a replacement.

If there are no beeps, it sounds like the motherboard to me too.
Time to get on the phone with Shuttle.:rolleyes:

Originally posted by djnes
It's not going to start up or post without a proc in it. It's possible you may have gotten a bad Shuttle mobo. They're customer service is pretty good, so call them about and see about a replacement.

unless its a special feature of shuttle, yes it will. i know my mobo screams loudly "NO CPU DETECTED NO CPU DETECTED" when you try it

Originally posted by kronchev
unless its a special feature of shuttle, yes it will. i know my mobo screams loudly "NO CPU DETECTED NO CPU DETECTED" when you try it

Neither of my Shuttles will, and none of the motherboards I've ever owned would do it.

Back