The Surge (sci-fi Dark Souls clone?)

dying dying dying dying dying and dying, six hours of this and i had enough, gonna sleep :p

Or for those of us with kids....

"dad?"
"just a second"
"daaaaaddd..."
"one sec, I just gotta...."
"MOTHER FUCK!!!!!....... ummm.... sorry sweetie... what did you need?"

:D

Dark Souls was plenty for me.

I usually played it late at night to avoid that scenario (and actually be a good dad :D ) but I don't play quite as well late at night, so...

has the thread gone dark?...I've seen some complaints on other forums concerning multiple enemies where fighting more than one enemy at a time is annoying...mainly that the combination of character targeting and limb targeting means that rapidly switching targets to fight quickly and effectively is a nightmare...combine this with the sheer aggression of many of the enemies, the generally small areas, and the ease with which you can be stunlocked and frustration happens a lot in any fight with two or three foes at once...

also hearing that the level design makes it hard to figure out where to go or what to do next as areas look very same-ey

it is kind of a mixed bag. playing the game requires a lot of effort. it seems like the meta is once you have access to better materials then you need to upgrade everything to the next level. I have started the second area. The interconnections are just confusing. there also are some rare ( non - respawning) enemies that I believe have special drops. They attack two at once and will two shot you before you can do much. end results, I found it more fun just to do a new build in dark souls 3 vs the "work" of playing the surge. that is not to say it is a bad game, just that I will be interested to see if they make any changes to the way it works

Last edited:
This game sounds like it is too hard for me :( I got through Dark Souls 3 and that is pretty much the high end of my skill cap. Maybe they will patch in a difficulty adjustment, then i will definitely pick it up.

do you guys play with KB/M or controller? whats better for this one

I do everything keyboard mouse. I did play Demon Souls with controller but that was because it was the only option available. The general consensus is that these type games work better with controller, I just suck at using the controllers

it is kind of a mixed bag. playing the game requires a lot of effort. it seems like the meta is once you have access to better materials then you need to upgrade everything to the next level. I have started the second area. The interconnections are just confusing. there also are some rare ( non - respawning) enemies that I believe have special drops. They attack two at once and will two shot you before you can do much. end results, I found it more fun just to do a new build in dark souls 3 vs the "work" of playing the surge. that is not to say it is a bad game, just that I will be interested to see if they make any changes to the way it works

the game sounds like a decent 7 or 8 game but I am more picky with my full price game purchases nowadays and don't think The Surge is worth $50...I'm fine with waiting for it to hit a price point I'm more comfortable with ~$30

I paid $42 from cdkeys, they are selling now for $38.

good quote from steam:
Archer May 18 @ 8:46pm
As someone who has played almost 30hrs and has beat the main story. Alot of your opinions are valid. There seems to be alot of "Artificial Difficulty" in this game. I allowed the end game boss to hit me as many times as he could b4 he could kill me. That was 4 times using the upgraded LYNX armor set. I used the same armor set to fight the minions placed in the area before getting to the final boss and they were able to consistently 1 shot me each time. The crazy amount of little guys that 1 shot u out of nowhere is ridiculous in this game. I only had to retry once or twice on all 5 bosses of this game but the little guys I ended up running past because its not worth the time, souls, or effort required to kill them.

im at the nucleus, playing with kb/m, to me this game is totally fucking awesome, addictive as hell :p

I read some tips, restarted, going with staff, which is a very fast weapon. Also figured out how to do combos. combat is much more effective.
also figured out how to do save restores.
The saved games are in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\userdata\xxx\378540
copy the remote folder, try whatever, and if you fail rename the original and copy the saved game back to the original
note, pretty sure you have to exit game before reloading
Why?
Because the security enemies (and others?) and bosses are one shot to get a desired drop :D

I hear the install size is only 6GB which is really small for a game nowadays...
The download size is a little over 5GB, but the install size is around 11GB. The reuse a lot of assets throughout the game.

well, straight 10 to 12 hours a day of gaming and my health back neck wrists eyes nerves personal life and looks now ruined, i guess im at the end, and my character is covered in human gore :D

ydqlQNv.jpg

*spoiler free img :p

Waiting for rebalance patch..

I don't know they are, after reading an explanation of the various combat mechanics, found here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/378540/discussions/0/1290690669223858166/

this is the current beta branch on steam, not sure when it will be released.
The Surge - Update 52956 (P4) 33449 (SVN)

Bug Fixes

• Mapping the dodge button to Circle will no longer cause the player to dodge every time the player "backs out" of the game menu.
  • Possible crash when leaving New Game+ at the beginning and starting a new game.
  • Gameplay blocker if the player does not collect the Security Exo-Rig after destroying the case. This will also fix broken saves.
  • Various AR elements should no longer appear in the wrong locations.
  • Counter attacks on drone enemies are no longer interrupted when using a Single-rigged weapon.
  • Closed door in Resolve Biolabs now opens correctly. This will also fix broken saves.
  • Using an implant that is on cooldown in the same moment an enemy is finished will no longer cause a repeating error message .
  • Fixed issues where armor items were unable to be equipped in New Game+.
  • Hobbs no longer asks for help after the player has helped him.
  • Player can no longer get stuck at certain stairs in the tunnels of Resolve Biolabs.
  • Player can no longer target the upper part of PAX while PAX is standing up.
  • Sorting items by 'Newest' now works properly.
  • Removed Quicksave/Quickload bindings.
Improvements & Tweaks
  • Improved behavior of the Security Guard.
  • The music in Ops will no longer play after the player has died and respawned.
  • Improved behavior of the Black Cerberus when his attacks are blocked.
  • Elevator positions have been adjusted to avoid waiting for an elevator after dying.
  • Proximity Sensor no longer emits a beeping sound when an enemy is locked.
  • Character is now invulnerable for a short time after a finishing move is finished.
  • Increased the duration of the stamina buff triggered when collecting enough Tech Scrap to be worth a level up.
  • Reduced the stamina cost for continually blocking.
  • Increased the time for the continual block stamina cost to begin.

I found I was wrong about blocking. You can block but it consumes stamina while holding, and I assume when you run out you take any remaining damage.

meh, looks like just another robot fighting game

probably buy when it goes on sale

probably

aaaand finished! new game+? oh god please no no more :p but i did checked just to see the new weapon i got from the last boss :p

for me this game was quite unique, kinda like a masterpiece of its own, but hard, wreck you hard, mess you up hard, at least for me it was :p

These a-ha moments are critical to Souls-like games, and having one while playing The Surge is what's motivated me to continue playing. It's got plenty of quirks—I can't tell if the game has invincibility frames, which makes combat unnecessarily difficult at times; the game won't always lock-on to enemies; the level design is purposely constrained to induce tension during fights but comes undone when the camera can't keep track of what's going on; the story is boring—but the satisfaction I'm getting from busting humanoid robots is proving enough.

well, straight 10 to 12 hours a day of gaming and my health back neck wrists eyes nerves personal life and looks now ruined, i guess im at the end, and my character is covered in human gore :D

ydqlQNv.jpg

*spoiler free img :p

I knew this game would be a Hard Stare kinda like how Bloodborne was on the PS4.
I mean all you are trying to do is meld with Metal that isn't even real.

one of the best things about this game (and small footprint) is how fast it loads. you really appreciate that compared to a lot of other games

I probably have been playing the game wrong. Targeting soft body parts does more damage and gives a stagger. You still get scrap but do not get upgrade components, which is fine if you don't need any. the staff works well for this. Others swear by the massive blade that drops from the first boss. I don't really understand the timing for that. going back from the second to the first area the farming is pretty effortless. So yeah, it is much better.

Did you get the 2.0 versions? I replayed those bastards a ton of times to get 2.0 :)

did not! :D i saw later on some yt video but i was already way beyond that

the only 2.0 i got was the one from the black cerberus (along with his full armor set :p)

but got this staff (codename carmina) when i went back to open the security doors i missed :p

qcQFBER.jpg

I'm not that far. I just got the drone unlock module, so backtracking in the second section

Just beat the 4th boss. I guess I am getting near the end. Overall I am really impressed and happy with the game. Yeah, it is hard, but getting fully maxed out armor and weapon really helps a lot. That requires a lot of grinding, and that can be enjoyable smashing faces of what were previously formidable foes. There will always be comparisons with dark souls but this game does stand on its own.

Started a new playthrough using the pax. patch also went out today. The game feels very different. Blocking now can do a parry result. pax is slow, but that massive stagger... wow

Started a new playthrough using the pax. patch also went out today. The game feels very different. Blocking now can do a parry result. pax is slow, but that massive stagger... wow
Link to patch notes? Interested in seeing how balance was addressed.

I think the balance is fine. The issue is that people do not really know how to play the game and so think they can steamroll it. As an example you start out with 2 armor pieces and 4 core slots unlocked. You need to craft the other 4 armor pieces and upgrade your core energy until you can equip them. It also helps to farm the first area until you can unlock all the available cores (8). At that point only the bosses will cause trouble. Every new level should be farmed for upgrade materials and/or better armor/weapons.

My last playthrough I found the assessments wrong. Endgame I could take quite a few hits from regular mooks. I could even tank an electric hit from one of those devastator thingies, posted in the image a few things back. https://clips.twitch.tv/GlutenFreeColdbloodedCocoaTBTacoRight - the electric charge has been nerfed by the way.

So the game does not work very well for someone that just wants to rush through as you will be lacking scrap for core upgrades and the resulting slots. It can certainly be done but becomes unnecessarily hard. This becomes an issue for youtubers. People want to see progress, not farming. If you are underequipped for an area it will just become worse the farther you go.

Also note: This is not about git gud. IMO the gameplay is more methodical and predictable than dark souls.

Last edited:
I think the balance is fine. The issue is that people do not really know how to play the game and so think they can steamroll it. As an example you start out with 2 armor pieces and 4 core slots unlocked. You need to craft the other 4 armor pieces and upgrade your core energy until you can equip them. It also helps to farm the first area until you can unlock all the available cores (8). At that point only the bosses will cause trouble. Every new level should be farmed for upgrade materials and/or better armor/weapons.

My last playthrough I found the assessments wrong. Endgame I could take quite a few hits from regular mooks. I could even tank an electric hit from one of those devastator thingies, posted in the image a few things back. https://clips.twitch.tv/GlutenFreeColdbloodedCocoaTBTacoRight - the electric charge has been nerfed by the way.

So the game does not work very well for someone that just wants to rush through as you will be lacking scrap for core upgrades and the resulting slots. It can certainly be done but becomes unnecessarily hard. This becomes an issue for youtubers. People want to see progress, not farming. If you are underequipped for an area it will just become worse the farther you go.

Also note: This is not about git gud. IMO the gameplay is more methodical and predictable than dark souls.
My opinion, as well. I wanted to see if they bent the knee to all the casuals, but it looks like they may have struck a middle ground in this update.

random post is random? Can't say there are any "creatures" in the game, aside from the nano things at the end.

Eh, that's not really fair. The issue with the difficulty is that people push through the game so they can complete it to do their reviews. Youtube streamers, they have to push into new areas to continue the "progression" of the game.

This game requires a bit of farming, to collect scrap and materials and add upgrade slots. Farming is boring to watch and takes some time.

If you spend time to upgrade everything once the upgrades become available then the difficulty is fine. Otherwise just running into new areas, the enemies are going to wreck your shit.

As an example probably the best armor IMO is available in the second area. To fully equip it however will require a massive amount of core energy. It just takes some work.

Hell, I have opened streams where the players are at the 3rd boss and they are only wearing 2 pieces of starting armor (vs 6). The complaint that the enemies are so strong you have to rush from button to button.... are how those people are choosing to play the game.

Back