The Subscription War: You're Bleeding to Death

Still against the rules, permission or no

:-P

Against what rules? The neighbors pay for the internet. They have the choice of letting other people use it if they wish to do so.

yeah tell that to everyone who leaves their networks unsecured

if you install inSSIDer and go driving around

you can probably find a whole crapload of unsecured networks

if you use GPS, you can make a realtime map of them as well

okay so those of you who boast that you dont have these bills but use other peoples service..... are just letting someone else pay for you....

like the kid who said his cell phone is only $10 because its on his parents family plan..... but that mean he is allowing his parents to pay for the actual plan and he is just paying for an extra plan... which means that your parents are still picking up your bills......

you might be okay with that but i would not be....

most of you who are saying you have under $200 in subs probably dont own a home either..

water/sewer and trash = $70
Electricity/natual gas = $80-$170
TV/Internet = $70
Home Ins = $45
Auto Ins = $140 (2 people 2 new cars)
Cell Phone $120 (1 iphone 1 LG touchscreen something)
= $500+

I could drop Cable TV (if i didnt like sports) and i could drop my iphone and get something else (-$40)

but water, electricity, the Insurances and basic cell phone service is a must (no landline)

No, those of us that boast about not having those expenses actually read the article and know what the conversation is about. :rolleyes:

Against what rules? The neighbors pay for the internet. They have the choice of letting other people use it if they wish to do so.

You need to read your ISP's Terms of Services a little closer.

Comcast:
resell the Service or otherwise make available to anyone outside the Premises the ability to use the Service (for example, through wi-fi or other methods of networking), in whole or in part, directly or indirectly. The Service is for personal and non-commercial residential use only and you agree not to use the Service for operation as an Internet service provider or for any business enterprise or purpose (whether or not for profit)

Charter:
The Service is designed for personal and family use (residential use only) within a single household. Customer agrees that only the Customer and co-residents living in the same household will use the Service. The term ‘single household’ means the Customer’s home and includes an apartment, condominium, flat or other residential unit that may be used as a residence in any multiple dwelling unit.

AT&T
Unless otherwise specified in the BellSouth Internet Service subscriber's pricing plan agreement, sharing of accounts and/or connections on unlimited usage plans with anyone other than immediate family members in the same dwelling is strictly prohibited.

Coxx Communication:
Resell or redistribute the Service to any third party via any means including but not limited to wireless technology.

and so on.

Unless you're explicitly authorized by yours or your neighbor's ISP that you can share bandwidth amongst multiple houses, apartment or other forms of living arrangement, you're in violation of their policy.

Unauthorized use of another Wifi network varies from State to State, and jurisdictions to jurisdictions, which most people like to use as defense of their actions rather than pay attention to company policy.

Comcast:

Charter:

AT&T

Coxx Communication:

and so on.

Unless you're explicitly authorized by yours or your neighbor's ISP that you can share bandwidth amongst multiple houses, apartment or other forms of living arrangement, you're in violation of their policy.

Unauthorized use of another Wifi network varies from State to State, and jurisdictions to jurisdictions, which most people like to use as defense of their actions rather than pay attention to company policy.

I think you need to read his post a little closer.

They can share their Internet all they want. Is it in violation of their contract? probably, but it's not his Internet connection, he didn't sign anything, hence he's not in violation of anything. The access is authorized by the owner of the router he is connecting to.

I think you need to read his post a little closer.

They can share their Internet all they want. Is it in violation of their contract? probably, but it's not his Internet connection, he didn't sign anything, hence he's not in violation of anything. The access is authorized by the owner of the router he is connecting to.

I did read. He's not helping them. If he wasn't so cheap, he'd tell his neighbor "thanks, but you may want to look into your service policy, it'll get your service cut off if you get caught".

If you can't afford broadband, fine. There's always NetZero for $9.95 a month.

I do feel it is why some people are going bankrupt and maybe even part of the economy dump.

back in the day people didn't have a cell phone or cable or other of these luxury bills that we have now, and people today think that they must have them and going in the hole trying to buy food and pay these kinds of bills.

The bits I loved best is that they double counted a bunch of things. If you've got an unlimited minutes cell plan you probably don't have a landline; nor do you have two seperate data plans for laptops (lines 2 and 7).

Comcast:

Charter:

AT&T

Coxx Communication:

and so on.

Yeah, that's the TOS. Until there is some punishment beyond simply canceling service for doing so, and as long as the privacy of those using the service is protected reasonably enough to make such tracking impossible, the TOS is irrelevant.

The logic here is akin to businesses breaking laws - if breaking a law (even if caught) will bring profit to a business, it is their obligation to the shareholders to break the law.

I did read. He's not helping them. If he wasn't so cheap, he'd tell his neighbor "thanks, but you may want to look into your service policy, it'll get your service cut off if you get caught".

If you can't afford broadband, fine. There's always NetZero for $9.95 a month.

Which requires a ridiculously overpriced AT&T phone line.

Yeah, that's the TOS. Until there is some punishment beyond simply canceling service for doing so, and as long as the privacy of those using the service is protected reasonably enough to make such tracking impossible, the TOS is irrelevant.

The logic here is akin to businesses breaking laws - if breaking a law (even if caught) will bring profit to a business, it is their obligation to the shareholders to break the law.

Which requires a ridiculously overpriced AT&T phone line.

I love this forum. It's always about justify justify justify, as long as you benefit. By your logic, Steve and Kyle has to overlook rules being broken on this forum because goshdarnit, the law won't back them up.

For some customer, "simply canceling services for doing so" is enough! Most area have only one broadband connection. I don't suppose that occurred to you? I bet not because you're too busy enjoying the benefit of another person's paycheck.

And people wonder why everything cost too much.

The poster isn't bound by the ISP's policy however, since he never entered into contract with them. Furthermore, most of those passages you quoted are sufficiently vague that a visiting friend would not be able to use the internet, something I doubt you would complain about.

Ignoring that, my contract with my ISP has no stipulation like the ones you mentioned. Perhaps the poster's neigbours are in a similar situation.

I love this forum. It's always about justify justify justify, as long as you benefit. By your logic, Steve and Kyle has to overlook rules being broken on this forum because goshdarnit, the law won't back them up.

Uh, no, actually, it will. Remember when the FSFT forum did not disallow people to sell 7 Ultimate Signature Edition, marked not-for-resale? It's now forbidden - I would assume because [H] got a notice from Microsoft.

Ultimately, however, that's up to Kyle - it's his forum, and he makes the decisions as to what to do. How he makes those decisions is up to him.

For some customer, "simply canceling services for doing so" is enough! Most area have only one broadband connection. I don't suppose that occurred to you? I bet not because you're too busy enjoying the benefit of another person's paycheck.

Since you wish to discuss me instead of my opinions, so be it. For one, I'm not "enjoying the benefit of another person's paycheck" - I pay for my own internet. Secondly, I don't give a flying fuck about areas with only one ISP because I don't live in one - people that do should think for themselves rather than basing their decisions based on someone's opinion on the internet.

Furthermore, even if I was sharing internet access, and the people were fine with it, who the hell are you to tell them they shouldn't be doing so? They are paying for it. It is their choice. Not yours.

Finally, I will restate that the TOS is unenforceable because collecting the type of info that would prove that a connection is being shared would be an invasion of privacy. If the companies wanted to enforce the rule, they would make their customers sign a clause allowing them to investigate. They, however, choose not to do so - at least to my understanding.

Everything costs too much because businesses exist to make money. It's the businesses duty to their shareholders to take full advantage of me as a customer in terms of profit. I simply choose to treat them the same way they treat me.

The poster isn't bound by the ISP's policy however, since he never entered into contract with them. Furthermore, most of those passages you quoted are sufficiently vague that a visiting friend would not be able to use the internet, something I doubt you would complain about.

Ignoring that, my contract with my ISP has no stipulation like the ones you mentioned. Perhaps the poster's neigbours are in a similar situation.

No kidding Sherlock. I was referring to the people who willingly shared their Internet connection with him. I can't help but think of causes of us technically savvy people hiding the truth from the unwitting neighbors.

"I swear it's perfectly fine if you let me use your bandwidth. You won't even notice any slowdowns in speed or anything because you have tons of bandwidth"

And never mentioning to him the policy of his internet provider.

You know what? I'll just back out of this argument. Some of you guys are the same people who defends texting and driving, and stealing music.. excuse me, copyright infringing (I know, I know, not the same thing, forgive me! :rolleyes:)

Anyways, this topic is about subscription bleeding us dry, and I agree with it. Some subs cost more than they should (yeah I'll withhold my opinion on that too).

Fortunately my smartphone is paid for by the company I work for.

Comcast:

Charter:

AT&T

Coxx Communication:

and so on.

What if their neighbor has a business account?

No kidding Sherlock. I was referring to the people who willingly shared their Internet connection with him.

Ok, well you're posts seem to says that the poster was breaking the rules, but at the same time you just agreed that he wasn't breaking any contractual agreement or law. I'm having a difficult time reconciling these two ostensibly conflicting positions you've taken.

And again, I trust you don't let any guests to your home use the internet, because according to the passages you've quoted, that's not allowed.

We cut a lot of those kinds of these kinds of recurring bills a couple of years back.

Cable bill: around $100/mo (expanded basic + cablecard for $2/mo + 10mbps internet for $50/mo).

Landline Phone - Magicjack - $20/yr - call it $2/mo with media server resources/power usage

Netflix - $9 / mo - wife has us on the 1-out plan

TiVo - $0/month (paid for lifetime, $700 for Tivo HD with lifetime)
XBOX Live - just bought a year card for $30, so that's $2.50/mo

Cellphones - where most people go expensive. Wife has prepaid at $20/month, automatic recharge (if she runs out of minutes, she runs out). I have pageplus and make virtually nill calls, buy 300 min/4 month cards on ebay with bing CB for about $21-$22, so it costs me about $5/month.

i gotta say... i have sprint phones, 5 lines, 3000 minutes, unlimited data + texts, and mobile to mobile, comes to about 209$ a month. divide by 5, 42$.

for what we get, thats REALLY not bad.

I think a bit of it is just a switch from years past. For example I pay for a cell phone, internet, netflix, and Xbox live that are newer things. However I don't pay for things that were fairly common just a few years ago. For example I don't have cable (actually get really awesome OTA, 14 stations most in HD), a home phone (or multiple lines/fax line for one), newspaper, or magazine subscriptions etc.

Now I am sure some people have all of that going on and more, but when talking about people I know I would say the cost is really about the same as it used to be. That and combined I spend way more on junk I can't get rid of anyway like power, parking permit, insurance et al.

I feel like a really "well equipped geek" should be able to get all this for free, or at the very least, be able to consolidate it to internet or cell phone only.

Please don't pretend shit costs so much because people share and break TOS :rolleyes:. Shit costs so god damned much because we live in a capitalist fuckhead society where oligopolies are the mutha fucking shiznit and charging 1000%+ of actual costs is patriotic.

$80 to $120 a month for a freakin' smartphone???

$50 for a landline phone??

$43 for T-mobile or AT&T wi-fi? If you're paying for that why are you paying $60 a month for
a broadband dongle!

$3-$8 a month for turn by turn navigation? Every heard of google maps??

My god people are babies. Most of the crap on the expensive list is about as essential as a manicure for your dog. I guess they don't teach budgeting to kids in school anymore...

i can't imagine spending in the higher range

splurging on quality broadband (fios here) solves many of the other issues.
phone i use VoIP.
that allows me to save my cell phone by having a basic non data low minutes plan
no cable tv as everything can easily be had on the internet or through netflix
which since all i really watch is anime, indie films, and classic movies I figure the netflix sub is cheaper than digital cable/directv/fios tv

even with an MMO subscription i dont think i hit 200 a month for services, MAYBE 150? but even that seems high

I pay for 4 Cell Phones on Sprint. total cost. $180. Unlimited text/data 1500 minutes.
One is personal 2 are my parents one is for business.
wow Sub. I admit. I have 2 accounts.. $280 a year equals 23 a month.
Emusic. $5.99. a month.

Internet I pay nothing. handled by my parents. Satelite. Parents got that.

Xbox live. 50 a year.

All this other stuff I read in that article. Are not essential. IF I lived somewhere else I would absolutely. have high speed and basic Hd cable. Cause I love Football and Baseball.

Other then that. If I could lower my costs even more I would.

cell bill is a must (for obvious reasons). even though i've got a smartphone i only use the wifi to internet connections. no data plan required.

internet connection would be the only subscription i think of that could be "optional". in another words, yes i *COULD* live w/o the web... though it'd be hard to find a job if you had to rush out to the library before it closes to submit resumes, etc.

You know what? I'll just back out of this argument. Some of you guys are the same people who defends texting and driving, and stealing music.. excuse me, copyright infringing (I know, I know, not the same thing, forgive me! :rolleyes:)

lol, what a great statement, really shines a light on your true character. So what, you *know* for sure that the people who are sharing their internet via wireless aren't allowed to according to their contract? You've SEEN the contract they signed?

Get over yourself.

Cell phones are not necessarily a necessity for everyone.
I have gone without one for years now, and have no problems living without one.
If someone wants to reach me they can call me either at home or at work.

I realized that generally the only calls i would get were people wanting something from me for work or people just bothering me at a time when i was busy, and i rarely ever made any outgoing calls.
Last thing i wanted was people calling me when i was in the car or when i was out on my own personal time, so I decided i did not need a cell phone.

My life has been better without a cell phone.

lol, what a great statement, really shines a light on your true character. So what, you *know* for sure that the people who are sharing their internet via wireless aren't allowed to according to their contract? You've SEEN the contract they signed?

Get over yourself.

You *assume* that the average household and neighbors have a business account and have special permission to share their broadband connection to anyone they want in the neighborhood? Look who's reaching. Get over yourself, yourself.

I don't assume they do, I don't assume they're stealing until I KNOW they're stealing. Innocent until proven guilty? Not while Super Azhar is here! AWAY!!!!!

(And by the way, because I had to be sure: I just looked over my service agreement, and the only stipulation is that I can't SELL my internet service. I don't have a business account or any kind of special agreement from my provider. My agreement does not contain anything like the wording you posted earlier from those few providers.)

You *assume* that the average household and neighbors have a business account and have special permission to share their broadband connection to anyone they want in the neighborhood? Look who's reaching. Get over yourself, yourself.

It's not reaching. My ISP doesn't have any such clause in the TOS.
https://secure.teksavvy.com/en/termspolicies.asp

Additionally, your indigence on a neighbor offering to share their internet is pretty laughable given that you're almost certainly breaking the exact same policy by letting guests of your house use the internet.

Back