The second worst thing inside a computer....

i would have told them no and get the fuck out ASAP

and offer to kill it with fire :p

:eek::eek::eek:

Now THAT is a system bug... YUCK!

You sir are truly dedicated. An, "I'm sorry there's nothing I can do. Even the roaches died." would DEFINITELY have been my response along with the sale of some bug spray and cans of compressed air for a do it yourself job. :)

This is a good thing that my wife, and I clean our computers every sunday during cleaning day :D

Here's an important question... were the bugs all dead? It's hard to tell, but in the cleaning video, it looks like some of them are flying around. Might just be the wind outside or something, but that was horrifying!

Here's an important question... were the bugs all dead? It's hard to tell, but in the cleaning video, it looks like some of them are flying around. Might just be the wind outside or something, but that was horrifying!
OP had the shop vac hose hooked up to the exhaust to blow out the infestation, debris, etc. So the specks flying around were dead carcasses.... just.... gross.

So how long can creepy crawlies survive inside a computer? I imagine if they don't get killed by electric shock it must be nice and toasty in there.

I've found spiders in cases of mine before - always dead. It's weird - they seem attracted to computers, yet at the same time they're ALWAYS dead when I go around cleaning dust filters.

I feel very sick right now, had something similiar but nowhere near as bad when I fixed my friends PC. It's been over 5 years now and I know it hasn't been opened, dreading the call.

i puked a little, swallowed it, puked it again, then swallowed it, then puked it out of my nose... :(

Official: I'll never own a case without a window.

At the very least, I'll be aware of the fact that my computer is stupid nasty.

I agree with others. I'd have called the customer and had them take it somewhere else. This is just nasty.

Had a customer system once, was in a warehouse that got flooded from a hurricane here, it sat in 3+ inches of water for over a week. Got brought in to see if it would still turn on (seriously!?). Opened the case side panel, a rather large number of big ass palmetto bugs were crawling around in it. I pushed cover back on, put the system in a garbage bag, hosed inside of bad with RAID, sealed bag, put outside. Day later, picked out a zillion dead bugs.

Machines from smokers also rank up there. I refuse to touch or work on one if it smells like smoke.

Thank you to everyone for their thoughts...hopefully waking up at least one person to double-take how they treat their equipment.

We heeded everyone's advice (even though we knew beforehand there wasn't a chance in hell we'd turn it on..for fear of everything in the case coming back to life)

2012-02-24141749.jpg
[/IMG]

It looks like the answer to one of those "What's grosser than gross?" jokes from years and years ago.

Good god man, I started itching about 3 seconds into the first vid, but the second, with 2500 bugs flying around, I think I need a shower to wash the filth of watching the videos away.

I once found a family of mice in a nest inside a computer in a particularly dark and dirty area in the manufacturing area of the satilite maker I was the lead desktop supoort tech at. we adopted the mouse family as our mascots andfrom that day forward we always had mice as mascots in our group.

insects ants especially are atrracted to electronics I once had a usb dvd burner on my desk one day I picked it up and there a zillion ants under it, I guess the eloetro magnetic force attracts them.

I work for a cable MSO. The returned equipement we get sits in sealed plastic bags for a couple days before I check it in, for this very reason. Infested equipment has a very specific "spattering" of bug crap all over it that can be a clue of what's inside. Regardless of its outward appearance, infested equipment gets discarded.

Someone needs to release anti bug cases lol

Except bugs and roaches can get through tiny holes or eat through the wierdest materials. I also saw on one of those Discovery Channel exterminator programs that said roaches like electromagnetic noise.

What a horrible chain of events.

I watch your videos, then Youtube suggests one about bedbugs in an apartment, then a suggested one about a brainless baby, then one about a 28 year old baby, I fucken hate Youtube!!

People are always dumping their computers on me to "fix". I'm going to be a lot more hesitant now after seeing this and from that other link about the bedbugs... which then led me to cockroach infestations. I pride myself on the cleanlyness of my home and my electronics. I can't understand how so many people live under conditions that lead to shit like this. Bedbugs, ants, and cockroaches are nothing to ignore. You see 1, there are bound to be 1000 others you don't see and they multiply every day!

Thank you mom and dad for raising and teaching me how important it is to live and maintain a clean environment. :D

*not to self, its been a warm winter, time schedule a spring treatment of prevention.

This just came into my shop 5 minutes ago....

Enjoy. :(

http://s81.photobucket.com/albums/j212/pianomanx/public/?albumview=slideshow

If you want a video of the cleaning...let me know :)

It.was.not.fun.sir.

-Turbo

Hahaha Damn nasty for sure! I remember cleaning/fixing one guy's computer like that years ago. There were live cockroaches and eggs in the computer and printer. But that's not the best part. I saw cockroaches crawl out the guy's hair when he dropped the computer off for repair! I'm pretty sure we fumigated the shop that night with a few of those RAID bomb things.

I later learned that the guy was a hoarder and his home was a cesspool with small paths to walk around in.

Thanks for bringing back the memories!

That's pretty much a biohazard. I wouldn't clean that shit except for maybe at a car wash with a high pressure hose and full hazmat suit.

Hang a big sign in your shop: "Hazardous materials will incur a surcharge. Don't like it? Geek Squad can be found at: *Best Buy address*."

:D

Back