The search for an iPod case...

DiZASTiX

Gawd
Ok, so my iPod (4G 20gb) arrives tomorrow and, having seen the condition of the ipods that belong to my friends, I know I am going to need a case. My friends, all of which don't use cases, have an insane amount of scratches all over the back, front and screen of their ipod. I don't want this to happen to me. So, I read a handful of reviews of a few different cases. The one that really appeals to me is the iSkin evo2. But, I have heard some bad things about it (dust collection, melting parts to ipod...). The other one I kinda liked was the Speck Products Skin Tight Skin. I want something small like those, none of those crazy metal cases or ipod armor type things. Anyways, I wanted to ask fellow ipod users what they use to protect ther ipods and for any suggestions...?

I have a 40GB (4th gen) iPod and I use an Evo2.
It works very well. It does collect dust and lint fast, as it is silicone. But it is very easily cleaned, just run it under water.
I have never heard of it 'melting' to an iPod. The iPod would have to get extremely hot for something like that to happen (which it does NOT). The only thing that I could think of would be the glue that is used to attach the belt clip to the iPod, which comes off with a little work. (The belt clip is optional to attach)
I am very happy with it.

sigmend said:
I have a 40GB (4th gen) iPod and I use an Evo2.
It works very well. It does collect dust and lint fast, as it is silicone. But it is very easily cleaned, just run it under water.
I have never heard of it 'melting' to an iPod. The iPod would have to get extremely hot for something like that to happen (which it does NOT). The only thing that I could think of would be the glue that is used to attach the belt clip to the iPod, which comes off with a little work. (The belt clip is optional to attach)
I am very happy with it.

ditto, but once you break the glue the first time it like doesn't want to stick again

I have a iSkin and I dont like it. Once you use your iPod and get used to it sliding in a out of your pockets easily, and iSkin really craps that. It also gets really linty, but it fits and protects greatly.

So, you are saying it should be fairly easy for me to take the case off every now and then and clean it from the dust it collects?

As for the glue problem, I won't be using the belt clip so it makes no difference to me.

Also, does the iskin add any bulk / size to the ipod. I am basically worrying if I will be able to slip it in and out of my pocket with ease...

Thanks guys.

EDIT: Just saw sdk's post. That was some of the stuff I was worrying about. I guess that I am always going to get mixed reviews, but I will still probably buy it...

its only going to be difficult to slip it in and out of your pocket because its a type of rubber, so its an antislip material. as for size increase, the silicone is only 1-2mm thick, and youre still capable of putting the ipod into a dock w/ the case on, so its not too thick.

ok, thanks everyone for your feedback. I guess I will be getting the iSkin...it seems for the better from what I can put together. I will probably order it tonight...thanks again :)

another vote for the eVo2, got my black skin on my ipod and love it. Even protects it from the occascional bounce. Does limit the ability of the scroll wheel though and doesn't protect the screen, but other than that it's fantastic.

TSS Modder said:
its only going to be difficult to slip it in and out of your pocket because its a type of rubber, so its an antislip material. as for size increase, the silicone is only 1-2mm thick, and youre still capable of putting the ipod into a dock w/ the case on, so its not too thick.

my 40gb 3g sure won't fit in my dock unless i peel the skin back like a banana, but that looks even stupider than having the thing just laying on my desk. i don't really mind just having it lay there though. docks are pretty overrated anyway.

Well, I ordered mine yesterday, so thanks to everyone who answered my questions :)

Jeriko_Cherry said:
doesn't protect the screen
I thought it comes with a screen protector?

vinividivici said:
my 40gb 3g sure won't fit in my dock unless i peel the skin back like a banana, but that looks even stupider than having the thing just laying on my desk. i don't really mind just having it lay there though. docks are pretty overrated anyway.
sdk said:
you CAN NOT use the dock with the iSkin
no worries, I don't have a dock and don't plan on getting one :D

wileycat said:
screw those cases man, get a foofpod cheaper and hand made. Plus the look so much better.
thanks for the suggestion, but I really don't like they way those cases look and I wan't something that doesn't cover the ipod completely...

TSS Modder said:
it does come w/ a screen protector. its one of the better ones out there also.

ok, good, because that is one of the main reasons I am buying it :)

From my experiences and research, you'll find that just by adding a little baby powder to the case and rubbing it in, the case will become less attracted to lint, and it'll be able to slide in and out of your pocket a lot easier. It'll also feel more like "skin". The only downside is that, if you have a black case, your iSkin/eXo will turn into more of a brown colour with uneven grey patches. The baby powder will generally turn your case a little brighter than it was. It works best with a white iSkin/eXo.

Also, I found that it's pretty hard to remove the scratches on the metalic side of the iPod, and it's impossible to keep the metal scratch free. Even if you handle the Ipod with gloves, the metal is scratch-prone. :( Try not to let it get to you that much...

You can, however, remove scratches from the face of the iPod. I use Muguiar's PlastX, just remember to use a 100% cotton cloth, and follow the directions on the bottle. After a couple of buff's, you should see the scratches fading away quickly.

I hope this was helpful, and I hope my writing wasn't too bad. :rolleyes:

mickey987 said:
From my experiences and research, you'll find that just by adding a little baby powder to the case and rubbing it in, the case will become less attracted to lint, and it'll be able to slide in and out of your pocket a lot easier. It'll also feel more like "skin". The only downside is that, if you have a black case, your iSkin/eXo will turn into more of a brown colour with uneven grey patches. The baby powder will generally turn your case a little brighter than it was. It works best with a white iSkin/eXo.

Also, I found that it's pretty hard to remove the scratches on the metalic side of the iPod, and it's impossible to keep the metal scratch free. Even if you handle the Ipod with gloves, the metal is scratch-prone. :( Try not to let it get to you that much...

You can, however, remove scratches from the face of the iPod. I use Muguiar's PlastX, just remember to use a 100% cotton cloth, and follow the directions on the bottle. After a couple of buff's, you should see the scratches fading away quickly.

I hope this was helpful, and I hope my writing wasn't too bad. :rolleyes:

Thanks mickey, this was VERY helpful! I just got confirmation yesterday that my order shipped so I should be seeing it sometime next week :)

theres also the exo cases at www.lajo.biz
they have one called exoflp that has a cut on the bottom that lets you flip the case open so it fits in the dock.
they are a bit cheaper than the iSkin evos and you can get $5 off first order with some referral program, but i wont post that here..

I have a matias Ipod Armor, and an iSkin exo2 but rarely use them.

I took the plastic protective sheets for PDA devices (sticky, clear, 20 pack at BB) and put one to cover the back of the device (to protect from the deam scratches) and cut one to place right over the screen. The hard part is getting it so there are no air bubbles, but it works like a charm, Its perfect. and it gets carried in my pocket anyway, so I don't like the cases, but on trips I bring both in case you know.

Try the screens, just buy PDA ones, they are cheaper than the weird pre cut ones made for iPods, and work very well

thursday said:
theres also the exo cases at www.lajo.biz
they have one called exoflp that has a cut on the bottom that lets you flip the case open so it fits in the dock.
they are a bit cheaper than the iSkin evos and you can get $5 off first order with some referral program, but i wont post that here..

yeah I have seen these, but the little chain circle on the sides of all of them piss me off :p

C1utCh said:
I have a matias Ipod Armor, and an iSkin exo2 but rarely use them.

I took the plastic protective sheets for PDA devices (sticky, clear, 20 pack at BB) and put one to cover the back of the device (to protect from the deam scratches) and cut one to place right over the screen. The hard part is getting it so there are no air bubbles, but it works like a charm, Its perfect. and it gets carried in my pocket anyway, so I don't like the cases, but on trips I bring both in case you know.

Try the screens, just buy PDA ones, they are cheaper than the weird pre cut ones made for iPods, and work very well

Yeah, I got a PodShield from TrendyGeek and it is so simple but works wonders, kept my ipod back very nice (and screen).

Anyways, I received my iskin today! I must say, it really does fit like a glove :) I like it and it works great with all the stuff I need to use it with (charger, headphones...) It is getting the job done and is not really of any distraction / disadvantage to me so I like it. I got the carbon (gray) color so it should match well when I get my black Sony MDR-EX71SL's. Well, thanks all!

it's so hard finding a cheap one. i tried ebay and i can't tell what is real and what is fake

DiZASTiX said:
yeah I have seen these, but the little chain circle on the sides of all of them piss me off :p
You can just cut it off with a razor blade in like 2 seconds. Thats what I did with mine.

Back