The saga continues! Please advise re: reseating the HSF...

OsageCowboy

Limp Gawd
so I got it off with ease using a method recommended by Bill. just used a screwdriver and got it off by going counterclockwise.

please assist me in putting it back on. i am going to go purchase some 90% alcohol to clean both the bottom of the HSF and the top of the processor...should I remove the processor before removing the thermal paste? i figure that the best way would be to use alcohol soaked cotton swabs or Q-tips and remove it in that way. i also felt that i may as well re-apply a new coat of silver-based thermal paste when attempted to seal this thing up.

now, to put it back on, should i use the screwdriver method again? or use the thumbs? the narrow end of the tabs need to be outward, correct, so that the arrows are again pointed in the counterclockwise direction for removal? should i do each one at a time, or attempt to push them in via the dual diagonal method suggested by the manual? i appreciate the advice, as always!

so I got it off with ease using a method recommended by Bill. just used a screwdriver and got it off by going counterclockwise.

should I remove the processor before removing the thermal paste?

No. Leave it in the socket.

i figure that the best way would be to use alcohol soaked cotton swabs or Q-tips and remove it in that way.

Cotton Balls, or toilet paper is what I use.

i also felt that i may as well re-apply a new coat of silver-based thermal paste when attempted to seal this thing up.

That's good, remember, the size of a grain of rice.

now, to put it back on, should i use the screwdriver method again? or use the thumbs? the narrow end of the tabs need to be outward, correct, so that the arrows are again pointed in the counterclockwise direction for removal? should i do each one at a time, or attempt to push them in via the dual diagonal method suggested by the manual? i appreciate the advice, as always!

Use the Dual diagonal Method. It works REALLY well. And DONT USE A SCREWDRIVER. I've punched a HOLE through my motherboard doing that!

Back