The Robber's mustache

PS-RagE

Supreme [H]ardness
"Hey, ya got something in yer mustache!" :cool:

These were taken at 1.8X with stacked lenses. Note how shallow the DOF is.

robber+fly.jpg

Nikon D2X, Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro/Nikkor 50mm f1.8 stacked, ISO 100, 1/60", f/45, handheld with flash (-1 1/3EV)

robber+fly2.jpg

Nikon D2X, Tamron 90mm f2.8 macro/Nikkor 50mm f1.8 stacked, ISO 100, 1/60", f/45, handheld with flash (-1 1/3EV)

That is freakin' CLOSE... What exactly do you do with these pictures? Does it get published? It should be... Damn Rage, they are freaking crazy :) , like National Geographic or Discovery Channel or something... :eek:

I have the same Tamron SPAF 90mm Di macro lens and your pictures still boggle my mind. How do you shoot these handheld? It must be hard to find/shoot? Any tips?

:)

jayjaya29 said:
Damn, the detail is amazing!!!
QFT! Amazing detail on the eyes!

Now I feel bad about killing that fly earlier today :p

Rage, is that the background you ordered, or is it the natural background? Looks good either way, not too dark, and not too bright.

In the first picture the fly sort of solidifies itself with the background as the origin - awesome lighting.

In the second one I love the side lighting. Now you just need the fly to rub his hands together, and attack/eat the screen/viewer like you'd see in alien movies...freaky :)

BTW, was the 50mm f/1.8 @ f/16 and the 90mm f/2.8 @ f/2.8? Or how did you arrive at f/45?

O'Doyle said:
That is freakin' CLOSE... What exactly do you do with these pictures? Does it get published? It should be... Damn Rage, they are freaking crazy :) , like National Geographic or Discovery Channel or something... :eek:

:) Thanks. Actually, I don't really do anything with them. I just like to take pictures and keep practicing to get better. Of all the pictures I've taken, I have only printed one and have it hanging in my office. The problem with prints are the frames - super expensive. Most pics I just share on the net or put up on my website (www.houseofrage.com)

I have the same Tamron SPAF 90mm Di macro lens and your pictures still boggle my mind. How do you shoot these handheld? It must be hard to find/shoot? Any tips?

Sure. First off, flick the range selector switch to full, snap the AF/MF ring to MF and rack the lens out all the way. See the yellow writing in the window? It says 1:1 at .96 feet so that is 1X magnification about a foot from the film plane (the theta symbol raised/etched/printed towards the back of the camera). To focus, you move your entire body in and out until the image in the viewfinder is clear. This, BTW, is what I got the focus rail for. I often will use both eyes so I can see the end of the lens and how close it is to my subject. To shoot handheld you must use flash. Buy or fabricate a bracket and get the flash right out over the end of the lens. I also use a diffuser to soften the shadows.

Tim_axe said:
Rage, is that the background you ordered, or is it the natural background? Looks good either way, not too dark, and not too bright.

In the first picture the fly sort of solidifies itself with the background as the origin - awesome lighting.

In the second one I love the side lighting. Now you just need the fly to rub his hands together, and attack/eat the screen/viewer like you'd see in alien movies...freaky :)

BTW, was the 50mm f/1.8 @ f/16 and the 90mm f/2.8 @ f/2.8? Or how did you arrive at f/45?

Thanks! I've been experimenting with flash intensity and positioning using as much ambient light as possible so my backgrounds won't go black. I honestly would have preferred a bit more light for these shots but I was snapping away and didn't want to fiddle with settings too much as I tend to lose my subjects that way.

The device I ordered was not an actual background but something to hold an object in place to act as a background (i.e. hold up a leaf , etc). The background here is as natural as it gets - it is the ground about 4 inches behind the flies.

As for the F/45 that is due to the extension on the 90mm to reach 1:1 and was set via the body (you can see the setting in the EXIF data). The 50mm was set at F/1.8

Well its settled, Insects are friggen weird looking.

Those are great pictures, the detail is amazing.

the 2nd pic is AWESOME! i love how BOTH the insects eyes are in perfect focus.

I must say those are amazing! Excellent job. Back when I had my olf Nikon 5400 P&S I got a robber fly and it's beard, your shots reminded me of it.

Wow! Thanks for getting those working again. :cool: Reminds me of this (from here). Basically, they take a series of photos at different focus distances, then stitch them together to achieve an apparent DOF that would be otherwise unobtainable.

Back