variable9999
n00b
- Joined
- Jan 20, 2014
- Messages
- 1
My plans for a 60Tb storage server have finally started! I wanted to have a massive amount of storage available for all the digital junk I collect. Plans started out to have a 16 disk array with (2) raid 6's. Looked at some rack mount systems and didn't really want to go that route. I've decided on a mid tower desktop with server grade hardware. I also didn't want to spend a fortune, but hey whats a hobby worth if not overdoing. Building this box in pieces 1 drive cage at a time. First "slot" will be 20TB with the ability to add 2 more.
I've ordered or reused the following parts for the build.
Mobo: Supermicro X7DCA-L
Cpu: Quad-Core Intel Xeon L5420 2.5GHz 12MB L2 Cache 1333Mhz
Memory: 8GB Registered PC2-5300 ECC (2x4gb)
Case: Sharkoon T9 (9 3.5 inch bays!!)
Drive cages: 1 Norco ss-500
Boot Drive\VM drives: 3x 128GB SSD 2.5" Kingston SVP100S2 SSDNOW V100
Storage Drives: 5x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS 7200rpm
Raid Card: LSI 84016e (16 port)
This box will run esxi 5.1 and share files via plex\kaleidoscope servers. Input appreciated, especially comments about the drives I plan on using. Hope to have pics soon.
I've ordered or reused the following parts for the build.
Mobo: Supermicro X7DCA-L
Cpu: Quad-Core Intel Xeon L5420 2.5GHz 12MB L2 Cache 1333Mhz
Memory: 8GB Registered PC2-5300 ECC (2x4gb)
Case: Sharkoon T9 (9 3.5 inch bays!!)
Drive cages: 1 Norco ss-500
Boot Drive\VM drives: 3x 128GB SSD 2.5" Kingston SVP100S2 SSDNOW V100
Storage Drives: 5x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS 7200rpm
Raid Card: LSI 84016e (16 port)
This box will run esxi 5.1 and share files via plex\kaleidoscope servers. Input appreciated, especially comments about the drives I plan on using. Hope to have pics soon.