The Risk of Waiting for Windows 7

You are correct. Don't let anyone tell you you don't need 8GB. Buy whatever ram you want. It certainly won't make Vista slower, and if new stuff coming out supports usage of more memory, like Creative Suite 4 for Vista 64 bit, then you will already be set while others will be ordering more memory to put in.

+1 QFT

With RAM as cheap as it is it was a no brainer when I went with 8GB of RAM and I certainly don't regret it at all.

With RAM as cheap as it is it was a no brainer when I went with 8GB of RAM and I certainly don't regret it at all.

I second this. Everyone told me it was overkill. I don't believe so anymore. Especially with the advent of triple channel come i7, we will definitely see a lot of computers with more RAM.

I second this. Everyone told me it was overkill. I don't believe so anymore. Especially with the advent of triple channel come i7, we will definitely see a lot of computers with more RAM.

I run into the ~4GB limit on my 64-bit OS a LOT. I have been waiting for Nehalem for the easy jump to 6Gb and all that extra bandwidth.

Unless you run Vista for 1-2 weeks to give superfetch a chance, you WON'T LIKE VISTA.

Let me repeat that:

Unless you run Vista for 1-2 weeks to give superfetch a chance to learn your work/gaming patterns on your system YOU WON'T LIKE VISTA.

It will feel a little slow and more sluggish than XP. If you gave it a solid two weeks, maybe one week minimum when you allegedly tried Vista out then go ahead and post your feedback here.

If you installed it and ran it for two days and went back to XP STFU.

With the exception of those that have proprietary stuff they have to have working for their business or that old game they're addicted to that just won't run with Vista, you haven't tried Vista until you've given it a chance to optimize itself. Vista is constantly performance tuning itself, and it doesn't know what to fine tune itself for in one freaking day. Get a clue.

I hesitate to feed the trolls, but what the hell.

Yes, I'm a complete moron. I installed it and ran for about an hour to make my lifelong decision..... Of course I gave it some time. I gave it about a month. During this time I used the computer heavily. Which was a lot of fun since it didn't exactly like my install of office, don't know why. On top of that I wasn't able to run Quartus or Model Sim and I was never able to find drivers for my printer. The only differences I noticed was less software compatibility, slower operations, and that I coun't find anything in the menus. I will give you the point that all this took place before the 1st service pack, so things may have gotten better. Now if you want to make a decent argument on the merits of Vista over XP, I'm sure there is a thread SOMEWHERE for that, this it not that place.

I hesitate to feed the trolls, but what the hell.

Yes, I'm a complete moron. I installed it and ran for about an hour to make my lifelong decision..... Of course I gave it some time. I gave it about a month. During this time I used the computer heavily. Which was a lot of fun since it didn't exactly like my install of office, don't know why. On top of that I wasn't able to run Quartus or Model Sim and I was never able to find drivers for my printer. The only differences I noticed was less software compatibility, slower operations, and that I coun't find anything in the menus. I will give you the point that all this took place before the 1st service pack, so things may have gotten better. Now if you want to make a decent argument on the merits of Vista over XP, I'm sure there is a thread SOMEWHERE for that, this it not that place.

I am in agreement with you and have had a similar experience -- only more long term and including SP1. Since SP1, most apps work and Vista is reasonably stable and not nearly as sluggish as it used to be.

That said, I still don't like it.

I am in agreement with you and have had a similar experience -- only more long term and including SP1. Since SP1, most apps work and Vista is reasonably stable and not nearly as sluggish as it used to be.

That said, I still don't like it.

Yeah. SP1 helped a lot. I heard a rumor that Windows 7 is going to be somewhat modular? Are they still going for this? I have heard nothing else about it since that first time.

I know I am dreadging up a ore than dead thread.

I recently dual booted Vista Ultimate on existing XP Pro drive, I rarely go back to my XP install. Thankfully I received Vista for nothing from a friend of mine that hated it. I was one of those that said I would not go to Vista unless it was free and I held true to that, now I am just wishing I had gone sooner. I game on my system and have notice almost no slow down in games and doing most of my day to day work on it is quite nice. But I will restate that I hate having to do any troubleshooting on it. Vista is dumbed down and you have to dig for things that were easy to find with XP. Like networking. But otherwise, I like Vista very much so.

Now I just wished our units migration to Vista had gone better. All sorts of issues there. Group Policy issues are abound with our networked share drive. Printers that are detected over the network, but wont print anything. Smart card readers that wont read or dont have Vista drivers. Its a nightmare.

I know I am dreadging up a ore than dead thread.

I recently dual booted Vista Ultimate on existing XP Pro drive, I rarely go back to my XP install. Thankfully I received Vista for nothing from a friend of mine that hated it. I was one of those that said I would not go to Vista unless it was free and I held true to that, now I am just wishing I had gone sooner. I game on my system and have notice almost no slow down in games and doing most of my day to day work on it is quite nice. But I will restate that I hate having to do any troubleshooting on it. Vista is dumbed down and you have to dig for things that were easy to find with XP. Like networking. But otherwise, I like Vista very much so.

Now I just wished our units migration to Vista had gone better. All sorts of issues there. Group Policy issues are abound with our networked share drive. Printers that are detected over the network, but wont print anything. Smart card readers that wont read or dont have Vista drivers. Its a nightmare.

Vista runs beautifully when you give it tons of RAM. The real problem with Vista's launch was greedy OEMs. RAM prices dropped 75% right after launch, but they kept putting in 1GB of RAM and pocketing the margins. Vista certainly is memory hungry, but when you give it 4GB, 8GB, or even more it is extremely fast.

vista on 1gb of memory really isnt that slow if you tweak it a bit, run it cleanly, and run it long enough for the system to self-tune

the problem with vista at launch was the multitude of 512mb RAM systems that were loaded with shovelware that all ran at startup.... even after weeks of self-tuning, vista couldnt overcome that bullshit....

I upgraded to 8GB of ram because it was 30$ and I suspect that anything above DDR2800 isn't going down anything soon. so I just loaded up 8GB and I'll just wait it out til i7 systems/RAM get cheaper.

vista on 1gb of memory really isnt that slow if you tweak it a bit, run it cleanly, and run it long enough for the system to self-tune

the problem with vista at launch was the multitude of 512mb RAM systems that were loaded with shovelware that all ran at startup.... even after weeks of self-tuning, vista couldnt overcome that bullshit....

This, combined with "techies" seeing this and declaring it's the operating systems fault without even thinking ("duh, more ram?") about it, resulting in widespread mistrust by people with no idea how computers work.

I loved Windows Vista until I switched to Linux (and even now when I want to use Windows, I can't stand XP, it has to be Vista).

I just dont get the whole "more RAM" theme you guys keep spouting. I run my system on 2GB of RAM and monitored it over the past month, my system rarely uses page filing and I have only run into a few instances where I maxed out my RAM. One being while trying to unpack a few large .zip files at the same time or trying to move alot of files from different locations to different new locations which is not something I do very often. It doesnt help that I am still running a 32 bit OS, which the average user is running. And unless you picked up the right copy of Vista, you are still limited in the amount of RAM the OS will reconize and use.
Vista Home Basic 64bit: 8GB
Vista Home Premium 64bit: 16GB
but I am sure the average [H] user didnt even give Basic a second look.

Given what I have said, I am still looking to get more memory, its better to have it and not need it that to need it and not have it.

I just dont get the whole "more RAM" theme you guys keep spouting. I run my system on 2GB of RAM and monitored it over the past month, my system rarely uses page filing and I have only run into a few instances where I maxed out my RAM. One being while trying to unpack a few large .zip files at the same time or trying to move alot of files from different locations to different new locations which is not something I do very often. It doesnt help that I am still running a 32 bit OS, which the average user is running. And unless you picked up the right copy of Vista, you are still limited in the amount of RAM the OS will reconize and use.
Vista Home Basic 64bit: 8GB
Vista Home Premium 64bit: 16GB
but I am sure the average [H] user didnt even give Basic a second look.

Given what I have said, I am still looking to get more memory, its better to have it and not need it that to need it and not have it.

That means nothing when the context of what software you run isnt considered.
I had some bad performance issues while gaming on XP with 2GB ram so I upgraded to 4GB and havent looked back.
I'm sure most of the readership here has had a similar experience.
I can now game with many apps still open/running with even the most memory intense games, and do sio every day :)

Back