• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The review my build thread :D

BaNaNaS

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 27, 2004
Messages
235
Well, I should be ordering this next week if everything goes as planned, but I wanted to run it past you guys for some tips/advice or compatibility issues. The main purpose of this pc is going to be for pure gaming. I'm hoping to be able to game at 1280x1024 with smooth performance. HL2, CS:S, and some occasional COD and ut2k4. (Prices are USD)


MSI K8N Neo4 Platinum nForce4 Ultra Athlon 64 Skt939 - 154
https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=241158

AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Processor Socket 939 Retail - 192
https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80701-2

Corsair TWINX1024-3200XL 1GB Kit DDR400 XMS3200 Dual-Channel Xtra-Low Latency - 247
https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=80097-08

Powercolor R43C-TVD3D Radeon X800 XL PCI-Express 256MB DDR3 Video Card w/HDTV-Out, Dual DVI & VIVO Retail - 373
https://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=320891

I will be using my current HDD, Opticals, Case(Praetorian), HSF (Zalman 7000B ALCU), and PSU (Neo Power 480) to go along with this purchase.
 
If you don't plan on some overclocking, you probably won't need such beastly (and costly :eek: ) ram. But if you got the cash, whynot =).
 
I plan on overclocking, i'm hopping for just like everyone else the 2.4 - 2.7 range that the winnies are capable of doing.
 
Only questionable thing might be the Powercolor brand, though the x800 XL is a good model. Everything else is quite nice. Also, based on the reviews I've seen an x800 XL doesn't overclock that well compared to, say, an x800 Pro or 6800 GT.
 
Well the reason I am going to go with the powercolor brand is beacuse it is the only x800 XL with the power adapter, the cooling looks like it does a better job, retail, vivo. Hopping the power would help with over clocking... What would you suggest? :confused:
 
BaNaNaS said:
Well the reason I am going to go with the powercolor brand is beacuse it is the only x800 XL with the power adapter, the cooling looks like it does a better job, retail, vivo. Hopping the power would help with over clocking... What would you suggest? :confused:

The pcie slot provides up to 75 watts of power. No need to worry about that extra cable. If ati thought it was needed it would have been added.
 
So, there is no benefit in the power color over the saphire? Any one have any first hand experience because if there is not, i'll gladly save the 3 dollars! :D
 
I would stick with the Corsair's, I have 2GB worth of the same stuff and it has never had any problems. Of course I have not tried to overclock, but I feel good having a company such as Corsair in my box, they are known for their reliability.
 
Back
Top