The Replacements

MidRanger

n00b
I am looking to replace the defective Intel I7-6700K and defective ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Alpha Extreme in my current computer. I would like hardware that is at least as powerful, hopefully more, and as future proof as possible. I could use some advice on hardware selection. I don’t want to spend more than $400 for a new motherboard and CPU. I am considering a Ryzen 5 3600X and an MSI B450 Tomahawk Max. Any suggestions for a motherboard and CPU combo would be greatly appreciated. Also, since so much hardware was found to be defective in my computer, I'm taking advice to get a new power supply unit. I would also appreciate suggestions for a brand and model that would work with whatever motherboard and cpu you suggest. I have a single graphics card. It is a ASUS ROG Strix GTX 1660 6GB.

I like to run games in 1080p resolution. I haven't adopted 4K and I don't use VR. The best game I’ve played in years is Ion Fury and the game I am most looking forward to is Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines 2. Thank you kindly for reading my post, and for your reply. All best to you.

Personally I would go for a Ryzen 7 3700 or 3700x and a B550 motherboard if you want some "future proof". However, I believe it is getting close to the Ryzen 4xxx series launch at the end of this year. You might want to have a wait?

For the GPU, NVidia is launching next gen in just a week or so. Wait for it and see. And least you might get some price drop (or may be not).

Edit: Sorry I have not kept up with all the B550 boards, but personally I like ASUS and MSI boards.

Thank you for your reply. I intend to stick with the 1660 GPU that I have currently. I don't know what tomorrow may bring so I'm not too keen on waiting three or so months for the 4xxx series. I'm fairly certain the 3700x would be enough power for me. Is there an MSI board you prefer over the Gigabyte B550? I would like to be able to overclock, so any board that restricts that, or doesn't play nice wouldn't be one I'd consider.

The MSI B550 Tomahawk seems to get good reviews everywhere, but the price is also quite high and in some cases even above some 570 boards. The other 2 cheaper alternatives I can see would be MSI B550-A Pro and Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro (m-ATX format). Both seem fairly decent for the budget.

Reactions: E4g1e
like this
The MSI B550 Tomahawk seems to get good reviews everywhere, but the price is also quite high and in some cases even above some 570 boards. The other 2 cheaper alternatives I can see would be MSI B550-A Pro and Gigabyte B550M Aorus Pro (m-ATX format). Both seem fairly decent for the budget.
In fact, this is where MSI redeemed itself with its budget boards. The B550-A Pro is one of the very, very few ATX boards for AMD around the $150-ish price point that don't suck.

Thank you for your replies and suggestions. There are some 550 and X570 around the same price, and they seem similar to me. Is the only major difference that X570 supports PCIe Gen 4 connectivity, and the lack of active chipset cooling? Is active chipset cooling a good thing? I would like to go with which ever one is more futureproof, I don't care about backwards compatibility.

The x570 chipset runs at 15 watts so it requires active cooling when under stress. However, most chipset fans nowadays are quite quiet. I have active cooling on my ASUS Rampage IV Extreme and I can't hear the fan when running. I have also used silent profile which runs the fan at lower RPM and only runs the fan when the temperature reaches certain degrees.

If you are thinking x570 chipset, this is a well recommended board - https://www.newegg.com/msi-mag-x570-tomahawk-wifi/p/N82E16813144310 It also has WiFi 6 which is great if you are using the WiFi option.

Back