the reasons for closing threads

Status
Not open for further replies.

venm11

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 6, 2004
Messages
2,236
I was just pondering the practice of closing/deleting threads -- like threads that have gone off-topic, or in this section for answered questions.

So, my question: would it accomplish the same thing to simply prevent the thread from bubbling up in the list? People could still ramble to their heart's content, but it would be pushed down into obscurity.

There might be some non-obvious reasons for this... I'm fishin'.
 
This is a forum that serves a dual purpose, to take suggestions and report problems. It is not for ongoing discussions. That's pretty much it in a nut shell. Once a question is answered or a problem reported, the general practice is to close the thread...in this forum we really don't want anyone rambling to their hearts content. ;)
 
This is a forum that serves a dual purpose, to take suggestions and report problems. It is not for ongoing discussions. That's pretty much it in a nut shell. Once a question is answered or a problem reported, the general practice is to close the thread...in this forum we really don't want anyone rambling to their hearts content. ;)

Well.... I don't mean just this forum, but this scenario is included. I mean all forums (or subforums). For example, I was noticing which threads had been shut down in the other forums (off topic, rambling, flaming etc) and wondered if a better approach in most cases is just to let it "fall" or de-list it, not lock it.

So, it's a good thing you didn't close this, because that's also a suggestion :)
 
Locking the threads works for us...it's a big forum with alomost 120k members.....not a lot of time to babysit bad threads. Thanks for the suggestion, but It's worked for us for 9 years and likely not to change.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top