The real gaming experience

maverick786us

2[H]4U
I know its a layman question but I've never practically experienced the gaming effect with a good Video Card so want to know your openion.

My friend is using an old PC configuration in which only processor is bit impressive E4300 and rest of everything is simple. He is using an Intel Mobo with 945 Chipset which has onboard Graphic and he is using only 1 GB RAM.

In his system I have played some really good 3-D games like Doom-3, and the latest version of NFS(I don't remember version number). I've seen that these games just play fine in his system. Some times the graphic syncronization becomes slow but for few seconds, but I guess that might be resolved if he upgrade his RAM to 2 GB. Rest I have'nt experiencd any problem in gaming.

Now I am planning to purchase an HD4850 the end of next which, and after reading numerous posts I consider it to be a very good card. Plus I will use it with Intel E8400, ASUS P5 Pro, 4GB OCZ RAM. So what is the real difference I am going to experience with same games? One thing I can understand, there will be no synchronization problem, it will be smooth. Above all else what will be the major difference I am going to experience? Will the gaming graphic become more realistic? What is the real gaming I am going to experience?

You will be able to play at higher resolutions with Anti Aliasing with Maximum settings. You played old games on your friends computer, his PC can not play new games which you would be able to.

With Anti Aliasing, the jaggies on the edges will be removed.

So you will get better graphics and can play latest games .

You played old games on your friends computer, his PC can not play new games which you would be able to.

Most games can be played even on low end newer systems, just not very well. My friend used to play Oblivion at lowest settings on his laptop using the GMA3100 integrated chipset. It looked terrible and was still choppy, but he seemed to enjoy it.

OK so the overall gaming quality will be improved. Will there be any realistic experience while playing 3-D games like HalfLife-2 Episode 2? (I don't have much knowledge about latest games. I mostly like strategic games in which there is a complete story lol)

It will look like a completely different game. onboard sucks. You are missing out on much more detailed textures, particles/effects, physics, etc. Install the demo of nfs:most wanted and it will look 10x better than your friends. Actually scrap that, install the GRID demo and prepare to be wowed.

I find that running games in VERY HIGH setting's @ 1920x1200 resolution makes the game an Actual Game. Its more alive.

My GPU isnt the best, hd3870 , but it plays everything i need it to play.

OK I am gonna purchase my new rig next friday with ATI HD4850. I am excited to see all the features this card offer

Heheh I am Happy with my 3870 Games look awsome and the colors are vibrant.
I am Certain the 4850 will be even better and faster at higher resolutions.

Playing Something like Grid Or Need For Speed Carbon on my 3870 compared to any Onboard video is like night and day. You see reflection shadows, dust dirt, Rain, it makes the game look like Color HD compared to black and white.

Let us know how everything turns out. I'm aching to see how everyones experience is with the new ati cards before I decide to try the gtx series or not.

asiandunn30: are they running hot even w/ good crossflow ?

agreed...you're that close and it sounds like you don't upgrade a lot. go big.

A VC virgin! How rare?

You'll notice EVERYTHING to be different, the system will operate faster even in windows. The CPU is not being used for processing the video anymore...Everything will be smoother, games, framerates, you can crank up all the eye candy without worrying about lag or not being able to run it.

I know its a layman question but I've never practically experienced the gaming effect with a good Video Card so want to know your openion.

My friend is using an old PC configuration in which only processor is bit impressive E4300 and rest of everything is simple. He is using an Intel Mobo with 945 Chipset which has onboard Graphic and he is using only 1 GB RAM.

In his system I have played some really good 3-D games like Doom-3, and the latest version of NFS(I don't remember version number). I've seen that these games just play fine in his system. Some times the graphic syncronization becomes slow but for few seconds, but I guess that might be resolved if he upgrade his RAM to 2 GB. Rest I have'nt experiencd any problem in gaming.

Now I am planning to purchase an HD4850 the end of next which, and after reading numerous posts I consider it to be a very good card. Plus I will use it with Intel E8400, ASUS P5 Pro, 4GB OCZ RAM. So what is the real difference I am going to experience with same games? One thing I can understand, there will be no synchronization problem, it will be smooth. Above all else what will be the major difference I am going to experience? Will the gaming graphic become more realistic? What is the real gaming I am going to experience?

For me the benefits are running smoothly at native resolution on large 24" LCDs. That setup you are talking about should do 1920x1200 nicely.

OK I am gonna purchase my new rig next friday with ATI HD4850. I am excited to see all the features this card offer

you will be amazed, I upgraded from an 8600GT to a 4850 and it was a huge difference for me, huge, I can't even imagine what it will be like for you, the 8600GT is now in my son's computer and when I see him playing COD4 it looks good, but no where near as realistic as it does with my 4850...

get the 4870 instead

At this point of time 4870 is bit expensive almost double the price. So I will stick to 4850. Although P5Q Pro has ATI Crossfire Feature so in couple of months when the price of 4870 drops up to reasonable extent I will consider purchasing either 4870 or 260 and use it with my existing 4850 together to take the advantage of Crossfire feature.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/...etail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-6107
I decided to go for this monitor. Although bit expensive but like one of the previous gentlemen said.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1327713&page=2

monitors are the longest lasting component of a computer system that still gets good use towards the end of they systems life and beyond, so I don't mind spending good money on a good, large monitor

So I will consider it as an investment. Just wanted to know your opinion that how good, will games run with 4850 on such a large 22 inch wide screen?

Just as a heads up to you, you cannot use an ATi and a nVidia card together. ATi + ATi only on your motherboard.

You're where like nice with onboard
Now you will be OOOOOOH MY GOODNESS porkchop bbq turkey sandwhiches Batman!

How good will Crysis with this card?? I am pretty much excited about this game but heard so many complaints

depending on the rest of your rig, crysis will run nicely (depends on what you perceive as nicely) with the 4850 using medium/high settings at 1680x1050.

if you expect more than that, you're expecting too much. you can always dial back the settings and still enjoy the first third of the game.

OK so the overall gaming quality will be improved. Will there be any realistic experience while playing 3-D games like HalfLife-2 Episode 2? ()

EVERYTHING is better at 1920x1200 on 24-27in LCD, ideally 8 bit panels.
That said, the in game settings are also very important, so don't sacrifice them for res, especially on smaller LCD, ie, 20-22in.

HL2 looked glassy on my 26 at 1920x1200.....very impressive, however, the latest games like Bioshock/COD4 etc, have more detail built into them, so they can look awesome at 14x900/12x800 just as long as most of the IQ settings are maxed or close to it.

What I play at:

Crysis- 1920x1200/no AA/ AF forced to 16 in CCC/A custom config (hamixda) that lets me have very high settings except for shadows which I have set to medium and I average 35FPS

COD4- 1920x1200 all settings at max full AA and AF 80-90 FPS

Only skimmed the thread, so forgive me if this wasn't accurate.

If you are switching from onboard to a "real" video card, it will probably be the biggest upgrade to your gaming experience you could imagine. Everything will be much smoother and detailed, depending on your settings. The higher the resolution and texture quality, the bigger the difference.

Enjoy!

Finally got my rig. This is the configuration.

CPU : E8400
Mobo : ASUS P5Q Pro
RAM : DDR-2 G-Skill - 800 2 X 2 GB
GPU : Palit Readeon HD4850
HDD : WD 6400AAKS
PSU : Corsair 650TX
Case : CM 690
Case : DELL SP2208WFP

Although I have yet to purchase Heat Sink. Which is going to be ThermalRight Extreme 120.

Right I will not take any chance by increasing the voltage. But there are some wiered things which I've obesrved.

1) When I boot the PC, initially it shows the Mobo infomration then for fraction of seconds it displays an error saying "No bootable device" but then it loads the windows. It is for faction of seconds thats why I am unable to take a photoshoot of it.

2) When i used CPZ in speed it showed around 2000Mhz. But in actual E8400 is 3Ghz. Does it means that my CPU is underclocked or C2Ds have this property to automatically reduce the clock speed when they are Idle?

Rest of the everything is fine. When I ran speed fan to see the temprature the CPU temp usually is around 46 Degree at Idle and both cores show around 44 Degree. Sometimes when I run applications like Spybot the CPU Temp reaches 50 Degree and the Cores reach 46-47 Degrees. Right now without a good HSF if I run games like "NFS most wanted" will it fry the CPU??

#1 is your HD the first boot device, or is it cd usb or even floppy? that could be the problem.

#2 Yes all C2D will "underclock" at idle when c1e/speedstep is enabled in the bios.

As for the temps, as long as you are at stock voltage and have decent case airflow, it should be fine. try running prime95 for a while as that will give you an idea of the max temps. (which are around 100C but you prob want to stay under 60 or so)

Heheh I am Happy with my 3870 Games look awsome and the colors are vibrant.
I am Certain the 4850 will be even better and faster at higher resolutions.

Playing Something like Grid Or Need For Speed Carbon on my 3870 compared to any Onboard video is like night and day. You see reflection shadows, dust dirt, Rain, it makes the game look like Color HD compared to black and white.

Finally I got my rig and tried "NFS Most Wanted" in it. You were right about it. It was totally a new experience and I loved it. But there was a slight problem. Mine is a 22 inch wide screen monitor which supports a maximum resolution of 1680 X 1050.

When I was setting resolution in the game settings I can't exceed more than 1280 X 1024 because when i tried to exceed beyond this, its i 1680 X 1280 (more height) which my monitor can't support because of wide screen.

So is it the problem with graphic driver. How can I get the maximum resolution out of it in the game settings??

It should be 1680 by 1050, try to find that resolution and change it to that. The 4850 definitely supports it.

It should be 1680 by 1050, try to find that resolution and change it to that. The 4850 definitely supports it.

I am unable to adjust resolution of 1680 by 1050. In the game setting the next thing above 1280 by 1028 is 1680 by 1280, but mine is a wide screen so it doesn't have this resolution.

I know its not the problem with card. Is there any patch available to adjust this?

Back