The Rampage!!!!

Stafford

n00b
I am looking for opinions on a RAM upgrade, if you can help skip to "PROBLEM", but anyone interested in my story it took to get here read on:

I guess ultimately this is one reason why we upgrade our PCs, what has turned into a quote Enthusiast unquote. A game. A game that my machine would not give me the necessary frames to play it.

GTA (mother!@#$%#$) IV

Cost from Steam (that is another story in and of itself) $49.99

Actual cost after upgrade and ripoffs, god somewhere in the neighbourhood of $1500-$1800.00.
System that I started out on.

Asus A8N32-SLI
BFG 8800GTS OC
2 GBs Corsair 3200C2
OCZ 700Watt PSU

and last but not least
AMD 3800+ 64X2
The system really ran fairly well for quite awhile but for obvious reasons the CPU was ancient, I did well to hold off as long as I did frankly.

1st I tried to simply upgrade my Vid Card. I purchased a Radeon HD4850 X2 (open box) from Canadacomputers:mad:). what did my instincts SCREAM in my ear. Yeah DON'T buy the card. I did. It was fuX0red; naturally.
Bring it back, get a hassle, get a refund and then I buy a BFG GTX280OC, prolly shouldn't have, but did anyway.

Thing is GTAIV apparently likes my card (apparently at time of this post I still don't have it installed do to SecuROM BS) but it did not like my CPU. Fine!

So I finally start lookin into what I am going to get, and without breaking the bank I want to get a nice Price for performance rig going.

Peeps here liked the Q9550 so I went for that.
The Asus P5Q Pro seemed the choice for MoBo, BUT Canadacomputers:mad: was sold out. I was foolishly impatient and settled for a board that I had not researched and bought a P5D-N (Open Box) Hmmmmm.... Yeah, I buy it.

Get some Corsair XMS2 DDR2 8500C5 2 x 2048 run home put everything together. Nuthin. Board won't POST.
But the best part is, after they told me it wasn't sold to another person, there is no rear I/O panel.The guy that returned this board before left it on his case. But when I return it Canadacomputers:mad: refuses to take it back.

I said to the CS guy
"I am going to turn around and spend $1000.00 in your store and because this MoBo does not have the rear panel, which the previous part time owner has, you will not refund me"

"Yes, sir I cannot refund You"

Blood boiling, but very calmly I say

"OKAY I will telll you what, you can have this POS board for free, and I will never shop here again"

I leave.

No one chases me.

It costs me $190 to not have to shop at Canadacomputers:mad: ever again.

Now. I need a MoBo for my Q9550 and 4GBs of Corsair RAM

I drive to Premier Computer Canada:p (which I have shopped at from many years, and should have shopped at to begin with) anyway I bought an
ASUS Striker Formula, which is actually a really nice board if it weren't for the fact that it wouldn't POST. What the HELL is going on here now I getting really depressed and feeling like a dummy. What could be going on here. It can't be my new CPU I say, It can't be my new RAM I say it can't (Although it might) be my OCZ 700W PSU.

So I work on the thing for literrally 8 Hours.

Nope, not happening.

Bring it back, exchange it (WITHOUT ANY HASSLE) for an ASUS RAMPAGE FORMULA

Now it doesn't get going right away but I did finally with a little trouble get Vista 64Bit installed after a little bit of fuss. And I am at least relieved that the board is working, but for a little problem with the RAM.

But I wan't get back to GTAIV for one sec.

Installed Steam, Download GTAIV and knowing that with SecuROM I can't make anymore than 2 Hardware changes the G@!%!N thing won't run.

LMFAO!

Okay, whatever, send an e-mail to SecuROM about a License Revocation Blah, Blah, Blah and continue with the task at hand.

PROBLEM:

The new Rampage with an Intel Q9550 won't POST with my Corsair CM2X2048-8500C5 with the DIMMS in slots A1-B1 or A2-B2 respectively.
I was however able to have it post with it in the A1-B1 slot, but I got nothing but BSODs.

At the end of the day (and I have gone this far) I was thinking of getting some G.Skill RAM and then fighting with that in hopes that it will like my particular config. Any thoughts?

link to the RAM in question

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=30922&vpn=F2-8800CL5D-4GBPI&manufacture=G.SKILL

Test each module individually with Memtest for 3-5 passes each. Make sure to disable Legacy USB Support in the BIOS as this setting conflicts with Memtest and may cause a false indication. If your memory is defective, we'll replace it for you.

www.memtest.org

Back