The Quake 3 Arena NV15 demo

Volred

Limp Gawd
While researching the benchmarks of my current GeForce 2 card in my machine. I see alot of use of the Q3A NV15 demo.

I found it on the net and downloaded nv15.pak, and put it in my baseq3 folder.

By going to the console in quake 3 arena, I can run the map by typing:
Code:
map nv15

If I want to run the demo I type:
Code:
disconnect
timedemo 1
demo nv15
If I try to run the demo I get an error: "couldn't open demos/nv15.dm_68"

I tried googling for how to run the demo, but I couldnt find any helpful information.
It should be easy. But I have never run this demo before.

maybe i'm just not remembering something correctly but aren't q3 demo files saved as dm_86 files? or am i thinking of rtcw? that is probably your issue, haven't made any time demos or movies for about 2-3 years now, but iirc i think the q3 engine saves the file as .dm_86, that sounds like what your issue is

if you just typed it wrong into the forums, it sounds like a placement issue, because the q3 engine reports it couldn't open the file when the file doesn't exist in the demos folder. i would also double check that.

check with "/demo nv15.dm_86" in console at the main screen, to make sure you could atleast watch the demo, and then try with your timedemo

hope this helps out a little, if you have any other questions i know quite a bit about q3 engine cvars from q3/rtcw/wolf:et :D

edit: after re-reading your post making sure i didn't miss any valuable info i realized you said you put the demo into your baseq3 folder. what you need to do is create a demos folder and then run the demo from there, this demo folder should be from within the baseq3 folder, unless you have altered the start-up. if you start up q3 via a "+set fs_game osp" for example, then you will want your demos folder inside of the osp folder, that should help you out

Whats probably the real reason you can't view the demo is that it was recorded for a version of quake that you do not have installed.

You cannot view the old demo's with a new version of q3. You will have to find the version it was recorded with and install that version (or Point Release) to get it to view properly.
Alternatively, you can try Seismovision, but if you are trying to benchmark (timedemo 1) that may not be a good option.

I thought the latest point release 1.32 let you view all demos, just rename it do dm_68 or 67... maybe 1.32 lets you view the last FEW demo protocols, and not the one you want. Anyway it probably will work with PR 1.16n or even 1.0

Imbroglio said:
edit: after re-reading your post making sure i didn't miss any valuable info i realized you said you put the demo into your baseq3 folder. what you need to do is create a demos folder and then run the demo from there,

if its a .pak file , it goes in baseq3. Pak files are zip files and it should already have a demos directory inside the pak. you can check by opening it with whatever zip prg.

Back