The Q6600 is a beast

I'm running a G0 at 2.8 (311x9) which is as high as it will go on stock voltage. Will it run OK if I re-enable the EIST? I'd like to get the power savings if possible. The board is a MSI P6N SLI with a 650i chipset.

I'm running a G0 at 2.8 (311x9) which is as high as it will go on stock voltage. Will it run OK if I re-enable the EIST? I'd like to get the power savings if possible. The board is a MSI P6N SLI with a 650i chipset.

Only one way to find out.

You'll have to try it. I have EIST enabled at 3.6 with no problems. I am very happy with the p45 chipset.

Currently running mine at 3.0 Ghz + 8GB RAM in Abit IP35. I have tried up to 3.4Ghz, but have not seen a reason to OC that high. 3.0 is plenty fast for what I do now. Q6600 is definitely will last for a while before I upgrade again. Been wanting I7, but could not justify the cost...

I joined the q6600 as of late. Wanted some additional mileage outta my computer.

Which reference overclocking guide would you recommend? I've looked (half assed) but I need one for a novice.

Not trying to squeeze it for every last drop, just a modest amount.

I have the q6600 on the Intel bad Axe 2 and 6 gigs of decent memory. (2x2 and 2x1). I upgraded to 4 gigs and had the other memory around so I used it.

I joined the q6600 as of late. Wanted some additional mileage outta my computer.

Which reference overclocking guide would you recommend? I've looked (half assed) but I need one for a novice.

I have the q6600 on the Intel bad Axe 2 and 6 gigs of decent memory. (2x2 and 2x1). I upgraded to 4 gigs and had the other memory around so I used it.

If it's anything like the Bad Axe 1 it won't like a quad and 4 sticks of RAM. I couldn't OC my Q6600 at all on that board. A 975x chipset will do better with 2 sticks. I'd dump the 1GB sticks and start raising the FSB and see how it does.

You'll have to try it. I have EIST enabled at 3.6 with no problems. I am very happy with the p45 chipset.

EIST ?

oh nvm speed step? isn't that dangerous to have that on at high voltages? i mean @ 3.6 you would need around 1.38v then when EIST drops the clocks it would be what? 2.4 @ 1.38v? that looks really dangerous don't you think?

[Jumps on the already jam-packed boat]

Have Q6600+8800GTX 3.2/Ultra speeds on one of the very first x38 boards since Autumn 2007 only added ram/changed system & storage hdds. Still handles every game perfectly at full settings @ 1600x1200 on Dell 2007FP S-IPS.

Itching to upgrade but cannot justify it just yet. No performance increase worthy of note and power savings would only offset costs after a good few years which is just silly. The only possible catalyst is a bargain bigger similar quality screen which just would not happen. Reminds me of Discovery-riding Hunters-wearing country folk advocating overly expensive food/booze. 5850? What-what? With claret?

EIST ?

oh nvm speed step? isn't that dangerous to have that on at high voltages? i mean @ 3.6 you would need around 1.38v then when EIST drops the clocks it would be what? 2.4 @ 1.38v? that looks really dangerous don't you think?

I don't know that I'm worried about it being dangerous, but I guess there really is no point to it. I just wanted to see if it was stable and it is.

Last edited:

Mine's running 3.6 at 1.44v on my IP35 pro. 3.2 on stock voltage so I really don't think it's worth the extra 400mhz, but I've been too lazy to turn it down haha.

You guys are going to laugh but I am still running my AMD Opteron 146 @ 3 Ghz (stock was 2Ghz).. I built this machine in early 2006 and the processor was the best bang for the buck at the time. I am finally thinking of upgrading (4 years later) to an i7 but honestly old processors are fine for most desktop applications.

With the help of my trusty ATI x1900xt I am able to run pretty much every game that has interested me along with my 4 year old XP install... crazy.

I've had my sig system for 2 years now; only different things were the HDDs and videocard. Vid card was originally an 8800GTS 512, so basically same performance, I just did the evga step-up because it was cost neutral. I've been tempted to upgrade, but I really don't do anything with the system that would justify spending the money

It probably will still work. Also, that motherboard behaves miserably when overclocking quads. It has the most unpredictable behavior of any board I've ever seen, but only when a Core 2 Quad is installed. The whole 650i chipset is plagued with problems with quads, but that mobo in particular is just bizarre.

You guys are going to laugh but I am still running my AMD Opteron 146 @ 3 Ghz (stock was 2Ghz).. I built this machine in early 2006 and the processor was the best bang for the buck at the time. I am finally thinking of upgrading (4 years later) to an i7 but honestly old processors are fine for most desktop applications.

With the help of my trusty ATI x1900xt I am able to run pretty much every game that has interested me along with my 4 year old XP install... crazy.

Yeah, new hardware is overrated man. My old system included a 3000+ overclocked to 2.4 GHz and a 6600 GT. With some config tweaks, I played through all of Fallout 3 with it.

The choice between a high-end in the 775 tree and an entry-level in the 1156/1366 tree was not hard for me. I was limited to a small form factor which made the premium of the latter very severe, and the performance differences between the two for my needs are not exceptionally pronounced. I am the type of person that does not upgrade more than once every 5 years -- I relegate an outdated box to other activities and purchase a completely new computer. Future-proofing means nothing to me, so I get really tired of gurus trying to push AM3 and 1156/1366 to me because it means I'll have a "better upgrade path."

Yeah, new hardware is overrated man. My old system included a 3000+ overclocked to 2.4 GHz and a 6600 GT. With some config tweaks, I played through all of Fallout 3 with it.

The choice between a high-end in the 775 tree and an entry-level in the 1156/1366 tree was not hard for me. I was limited to a small form factor which made the premium of the latter very severe, and the performance differences between the two for my needs are not exceptionally pronounced. I am the type of person that does not upgrade more than once every 5 years -- I relegate an outdated box to other activities and purchase a completely new computer. Future-proofing means nothing to me, so I get really tired of gurus trying to push AM3 and 1156/1366 to me because it means I'll have a "better upgrade path."

Yes, my sentiments match yours exactly. I'll probably take my current machine and either find a new home for it or put it to use as a file server or the like. Upgrading is somewhat daunting with all the current choices but I'll be doing research for the next month or so to see what best fits my needs.

e6600 @ 3.4. its just barely starting to show its age.

best computer component i have ever purchased.

(It's a GA-P31-ES3G, Intel P31 chipset, i don't really understand what that even means, are they saying it only supports a 1333 FSB with certain memory brands? )

I have that board in my HTPC .. it has issues with 1066Mhz ram and not liking it as i have a e6600 in it and Kington Hyper X 1066Mhz ram but it posts the ram at 800Mhz so i just overclock from there and have it running at 1112Mhz ..

On the Quad i decided to find one for Bad Company 2 to replace the e5200 as i was thinking of an i5 platform but $450-500 for the switch out.. ran across a Xeon 3230 = q6700 in G0 for $105 shipped ..the guy has a cpu-z report at 4Ghz for the beast and told me 1.5v+ for stable 4Ghz gaming.. pairing it with the HD5850 it should handle that game easy..

if you have some card similar to 5970, you will notice Q9550 is not enough at all..

you will see a huge gain moving to core i7.

Or two discrete cards, or any dual-GPU card.

The Q9550 is more than enough for any single-GPU solution. Same with an overclocked Q6600.

I may not be as [H]ardcore as some of the guys in this thread. but I've been running a Q6600 for a good year and a half at stock clock. My old mobo wouldn't OC worth a hoot even with a bump in voltage (gigabyte quad board from when they first released the C2D line).

Now that I have a board with more VRM's (P5Q Deluxe) it's much more stable. I tried to OC a little bit ad got to 2.8 stable without even upping the voltage. What a SOLID combo this is!

Don't you get... well... bored? Part of the fun, at least for me, is always tweaking, changing, and messing with my main rig. I am constantly changing it and making it better. Excuse my assertation, but isn't that what being an enthusiast, and by extension, what this website is all about? How can you blame the gurus for assuming that you actually upgrade when you are posting on this website? The vast majority of people on this site are not like you when it comes to upgrading.

Don't you get... well... bored? Part of the fun, at least for me, is always tweaking, changing, and messing with my main rig. I am constantly changing it and making it better. Excuse my assertation, but isn't that what being an enthusiast, and by extension, what this website is all about? How can you blame the gurus for assuming that you actually upgrade when you are posting on this website? The vast majority of people on this site are not like you when it comes to upgrading.

I have other hobbies, including music production, photography, and audiophilia that don't leave me with enough money burning a hole in my pocket to upgrade even every two years. They keep me from being bored.

On my 939 setup I told myself I'd be [H]ard.. that I'd upgrade frequently to stay up-to-date. I bought a premium K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI motherboard (one of the top-of-the-line mobos at the time) to remind myself of the promise. And then without warning AM2 came out, and nothing ever happened. That 939->AM2 fiasco kind of killed upgrading for me for good, and I survived 5 years without. If I waited a couple of months and bought everything after AM2, I doubt I'd be so averse to upgrading.

Besides, I'd learned to overclock and tweak like crazy to get excellent performance and passable IQ out of most games that my system ordinarily couldn't handle. I didn't spend a penny on new hardware -- everything was software/BIOS tweaking and messing around, and it was definitely rewarding pumping 60% more out of my 3000+.

I'll probably do the same with my current machine, at most switching out the power supply to support a 4GHz overclock (maybe throwing in an SSD too) which should keep me content for another five years. And by that time, I'll upgrade to the Q6600/Q9550 of that day and age rather than the latest and most futureproof.

Yes, I do understand this blasphemes the leading philosophies of this forum.

Last edited:
I have other hobbies, including music production, photography, and audiophilia that don't leave me with enough money burning a hole in my pocket to upgrade even every two years. They keep me from being bored.

On my 939 setup I told myself I'd be [H]ard.. that I'd upgrade frequently to stay up-to-date. I bought a premium K8N Neo4 Platinum/SLI motherboard (one of the top-of-the-line mobos at the time) to remind myself of the promise. And then without warning AM2 came out, and nothing ever happened. That 939->AM2 fiasco kind of killed upgrading for me for good, and I survived 5 years without. If I waited a couple of months and bought everything after AM2, I doubt I'd be so averse to upgrading.

Besides, I'd learned to overclock and tweak like crazy to get excellent performance and passable IQ out of most games that my system ordinarily couldn't handle. I didn't spend a penny on new hardware -- everything was software/BIOS tweaking and messing around, and it was definitely rewarding pumping 60% more out of my 3000+.

I'll probably do the same with my current machine, at most switching out the power supply to support a 4GHz overclock (maybe throwing in an SSD too) which should keep me content for another five years. And by that time, I'll upgrade to the Q6600/Q9550 of that day and age rather than the latest and most futureproof.

Yes, I do understand this blasphemes the leading philosophies of this forum.

Well you have a different way of messing with your main rig and changing it and making it better (yes I realized that sentence makes no sense). Most of us here love to mess with hardware and get new stuff, while he's had to get the very best possible performance out of some old parts which is just as [H]ard.

I may not be as [H]ardcore as some of the guys in this thread. but I've been running a Q6600 for a good year and a half at stock clock. My old mobo wouldn't OC worth a hoot even with a bump in voltage (gigabyte quad board from when they first released the C2D line).

Now that I have a board with more VRM's (P5Q Deluxe) it's much more stable. I tried to OC a little bit ad got to 2.8 stable without even upping the voltage. What a SOLID combo this is!

Why not simply to pin mod it to 3.0 - very easy, all at stock, power saving and speedstep are also stay on, just 333 instead of 266 fsb forced. i've foil[ed] plenty of 420 dells with q6600s in their days (it was a local craze a couple of years back when these went for £600 with 22" monitors) +25% performance for nothing, rock solid and with no loss of warranty. Not a single one failed. We (in the UK) had recently a few old stock 420s with 3gb/640gb/8800gt for £200 in Tesco and those few lucky ones who got them are laughing. I’ve pin modded dozens of 775s 200>266, 266>333 on Intel and even ATI chipsets with no issues. Last one was £10 Celeron 440 on £10 ECS’s RC415ST (ATI 1100 chipset!) for a very cheap media centre pc – plays 1080p easily with 2GB single channel ram.

Back