The problem with current designs is ...

konst

Weaksauce
that they don't have active heat exchangers. It seems like all these companies making cooling gear don't know anything about science. The only thing that seems to work well is that VapoChill cases. I read in a review that it can get cpu temp (or is it system temp) to -11 C

VapoChill makes a lot of different types of cooling products; which one are you reffering to exactly?

Just trying to clear things up; thanks.

I meant current designs are made to dissipate heat through air convection. A heat exchanger would transfer heat to another liquid or gas in a type of closed system with some sort of compressor

Evaporation is maybe the word your looking for? liguid or gas in a evaporation proces expands which extracts energy=cooling. Vapochill.

Best is normal watercooling...water can absorb so much incredible heat.

Youri Carma said:
Evaporation is maybe the word your looking for? liguid or gas in a evaporation proces expands which extracts energy=cooling. Vapochill.

Best is normal watercooling...water can absorb so much incredible heat.

Water can't overclock your cpu or gpu by 2 to 4 GHz. How is the heat removed from the water? Through conduction with the air probably? An active system would allow you to remove the heat much faster and keep it more stable.

konst said:
Water can't overclock your cpu or gpu by 2 to 4 GHz. How is the heat removed from the water? Through conduction with the air probably? An active system would allow you to remove the heat much faster and keep it more stable.

Yes... We know this... And so do many high end companies. Companies which are making solutions like you've suggested.

Active heat removal has major downsides too:

It's expensive as hell, loud and costs a hell of a lot of money to run 24/7.

I'm getting a 1640 mhz overclock (board's limit) on my Conroe. With water... So, I could very well hit the 2ghz overclock mark with a better (better? wow... as if 500FSB isn't the best) board.

and PS... even on Phase, most chips don't clock more than 2ghz over stock.

Arcygenical said:
Yes... We know this... And so do many high end companies. Companies which are making solutions like you've suggested.

I'm getting a 1640 mhz overclock (board's limit) on my Conroe. With water... So, I could very well hit the 2ghz overclock mark with a better (better? wow... as if 500FSB isn't the best) board.

I think some actiive systems would be expensive but don't necessarily have to be noisy. Have you ever hear of a magnetic refrigerator.
http://www.ameslab.gov/final/News/2001rel/01magneticrefrig.htm

Arcygenical said:

It all comes down to what you are willing to settle for and what you are overclocking for. If you are just looking for a little extra performance for your everyday/gaming pc then you probably will be willing to settle for water/air... if you overclock for benchmarking or just to see how far you can push your equipment, then you will quickly become dissatisfied with saying "it's good enough, who needs more" ;)

I remember when I first started oc'ing, I said I would never go to water cooling... well, that didn't last long.... water was great.... for a while... now I've been running phase for almost a year and guess what :D It just don't cut it anymore, I'm sick of the guys on dry ice/ln2 outscoring me so I have a set of cpu/gpu tubes coming next week. I'll start with dry ice.... but I know myself well enough to know that I may as well start looking for a good deal on an LN2 dewar, because I won't be satisfied with the dry ice very long ;)

boshuter said:
It all comes down to what you are willing to settle for and what you are overclocking for. If you are just looking for a little extra performance for your everyday/gaming pc then you probably will be willing to settle for water/air... if you overclock for benchmarking or just to see how far you can push your equipment, then you will quickly become dissatisfied with saying "it's good enough, who needs more" ;)

I remember when I first started oc'ing, I said I would never go to water cooling... well, that didn't last long.... water was great.... for a while... now I've been running phase for almost a year and guess what :D It just don't cut it anymore, I'm sick of the guys on dry ice/ln2 outscoring me so I have a set of cpu/gpu tubes coming next week. I'll start with dry ice.... but I know myself well enough to know that I may as well start looking for a good deal on an LN2 dewar, because I won't be satisfied with the dry ice very long ;)

haha didn't Intel get their chips to 10 GHz with LN ?

konst said:
haha didn't Intel get their chips to 10 GHz with LN ?

I don't know what Intel did... but the WR for users is 7.657ghz with an Intel 670 by "duck".

konst said:
that they don't have active heat exchangers. It seems like all these companies making cooling gear don't know anything about science. The only thing that seems to work well is that VapoChill cases. I read in a review that it can get cpu temp (or is it system temp) to -11 C
I don't know what you've been reading but -11C isn't much at all. Vapochill's own Lightspeed will run at -33c under load. Lightspeed

Spend some time over at Xtreme Systems reading the Phase Change threads. People there get systems running under -100C.

boshuter said:
I don't know what Intel did... but the WR for users is 7.657ghz with an Intel 670 by "duck".

I heard somewhere and saw it that a guy in china got his intel to 8+ ghz. I dont remember exact numbers or anything, just that it was done. Google it :D

boshuter said:

Well naturally there's a huge tradeoff of course! Nothings ever free...

But Still I think we're coming from different angles here. I don't think that current designs have a "problem" so to speak. They do their jobs well. I was never questionning the validity of higher powered cooling setups, I was simply commenting on how these types of things are generally overkill.

For benchmarking, well of course they're fun, but I don't consider such a device to be a viable cooling solution, for everyday usage.

The Vapochill's work exactly the same as your fridge. Some liquid vaporizes extracting heat during the proces and condensates when it cools down. With a pump the liquid (from the condensated vapor) returns to it's starting point.

That gave me the idea to us an old fridge to cool my water from my computer watercoolingsys down together with my cool drinks. :cool:
Problem could be condensation water in your computercase for being too cold...don't want that.

Also electricity is used for active cooling but your energy bill will be considerably higher.

Also I thought about (don't tell anyone) just to let the relative cold water from the tap directly into the computerwatercooling sys and let the warm water flow into the sewer. :rolleyes:

And don't forget how a vew liters of liquid cool down motorengines which reaches temps around 80 degrees.....so sufficient enough for the relative cool watercooling systems.

Gadolinium? Do you have some more explanation?

What you can do is bury a radiator about 6-18 feet below ground, that would naturally cool it :cool: .

Back