The Problem With Adobe Reader

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Washington Post has a pretty interesting take on the recent Adobe Acrobat Reader flaw, what it does, how it can be exploited and even a link to a harmless proof of concept example so you can see how it works.

The latest example of this trend is a flaw revealed late last month in most versions of Adobe Reader -- the ubiquitous program useful for viewing PDF documents -- that can be used to further phishing scams or to steal sensitive and personal information from users. The trouble, once again, is with Javascript.

Anyone that still uses Adobe Acrobat is just asking for punishment. Adobe Acrobat Reader is an absolute pile of crap. I have long switched to Foxit with zero regrets…

foxit rocks. Its so small, and it makes viewing a pdf like viewing a normal document. Not some slow POS like acrobat reader.

It seems that if you force FF 2.0.0.1 to ask permission first, the bug doesn't work.

That said, I'm gonna look at foxit anyway. :)

is there a way to get Foxit to read the PDF in the browser window like Adobe reader did?

humm, I've been using GSview for a few years after Adobe Reader kept crashing my system...Foxit looks way better though

Back