the price of 939 processors (rant)

what do you guys mean by "uncapped"? is that referring to a multiplier lock?

i'm hoping to sell my 4400 X2 in the next couple weeks and I hope the demand hangs on just a little longer.

what do you guys mean by "uncapped"? is that referring to a multiplier lock?

i'm hoping to sell my 4400 X2 in the next couple weeks and I hope the demand hangs on just a little longer.

Uncapped means they popped off the IHS. The metal cover on the top of the proxy.

is that a good thing or a bad thing? should i pop mine off before trying to ebay it?

Many heatsink retention mechanisms would kill an unlidded CPU, just put a big crack in the die from the stress. Delidding is usually only useful for watercoolers.

Hmmm, I wonder if my 165 opty could fetch a little dough... It IS a CCBBE.

Still, I think I am going to be keeping the proc around for the remainder of its life. When I finally get around to building a new rig (certainly no sooner than arrival of the 8-cores), I'll be keeping the old rig and clocking it down into a media/data server. The case is big enough and the motherboard has enough internal connections to make it a simple matter of slapping in a bunch of HDs and sticking it right next to the big ol' home theater downstairs. :D

Who said the market would bear $190? What I was infuriated with was the general lack of intelligence in regards to simple economics.

It was mostly a rant at stupidity more than anything, and a lack of common sense of course.

ignorance is everywhere and a sucker is born every minute.

1. The market bears $190 and up. FX-60s, 4800+, Opteron 180/185s go for up to $300 on Ebay.

2. You display intelligence but obviously have a questionable grasp of simple economics, ie: Supply and Demand. Many legacy S939 systems out there where the owners prefer CPU upgrades to replacing the entire system including formatting their setups that they've had for years. Very low supply of high-end S939 CPUs coupled with a wide and aging install base = high demand and thusly high prices. When SDRAM first came out, EDO ram prices skyrockted because people with old systems on EDO ram desperately wanted to upgrade when the manufacturers all switched over, resulting in scarcity.

3. No comment on stupidity but a lack of common-sense is how I would describe your feelings on this subject. Yes it is more rational from a frugal standpoint to spend the money more wisely on cheaper and more powerful parts rather than an outdated and outmoded component...but it may not be the best choice for legacy users who do not wish to go through the efforts required for a total rebuild or if their setups cannot be easily changed without negatively affecting critical things (ie: workstations, legacy but vital and neccessary hardware deeply installed into business and industry, people with small form factor cases or situations where motherboard swaps are not an available option, etc.)

4. Ignorance is everywhere, especially in your comments regarding this situation. Yes, your point makes logical sense but the market is what it is. Ignorance of the specific needs of the users behind that market and the assumption that they are all suckers is a pompous and uneccessary attitude. Many intelligent and experienced people in the computer and IT fields are looking for S939 processors for a reason, along with a wide install base of casual users who would rather take the pecuniary cost of an inflated S939 processor over the cost in time, labour, and possible pitfalls with a complete changeover of the systems they have grown accustomed to, may be neccessary in a certain configuration for their own use, or simply enjoy far too much to change.

With those prices, I don't see why anyone would want to keep their old S939..

It's not just S939 CPUs, either. AGP videocards and DDR memory are also much more expensive than PCI-E/DDR2.

I tried to find a cheap S939 CPU for my old system but in the end I bought an AM2 4800+, Socket AM2 mobo and 2 gigs of DDR2 for less than the price of a used S939 CPU (thin it was a 4200+). Absolutely ridiculous. It's not "supply and demand".. you'd have to be pretty retarded to pay almost $200 for an Athlon X2.

With those prices, I don't see why anyone would want to keep their old S939..

It's not just S939 CPUs, either. AGP videocards and DDR memory are also much more expensive than PCI-E/DDR2.

I tried to find a cheap S939 CPU for my old system but in the end I bought an AM2 4800+, Socket AM2 mobo and 2 gigs of DDR2 for less than the price of a used S939 CPU (thin it was a 4200+). Absolutely ridiculous. It's not "supply and demand".. you'd have to be pretty retarded to pay almost $200 for an Athlon X2.

I really would like someone to take a system such as mine and stick an ATI 4870 in to it and do a side by side comparison with a newer system. I really don't believe I'd be blown away. As I've said before be careful of the marketing hype. If I am blown away then I'll be the first to upgrade and help keep the economy humming along.

I just got an x2 3800+ for $65 for a 939 box I've had for nearly 4 years now (Dec 04). I think it was a good deal considering what they are fetching on Ebay right now.

I just got an x2 3800+ for $65 for a 939 box I've had for nearly 4 years now (Dec 04). I think it was a good deal considering what they are fetching on Ebay right now.

damn, were did you get that at?

Considering my X2 3800+ is running 2.6GHz at 1.3V, I call it a worth it even though I paid $120 for a used one. It's going to be in service far longer than any other CPU I've ever owned besides my AMD 386 DX33 :)

I'll probably use it as my main computer until at least 2010.

I agree they sell for outrageous prices... I was able to sell my FX-60 for $350 right after the Q6600 came out. I put it with a no reserve on eBay and watched the profit roll in. I only paid like $250 for the thing off Tigerdirect about 1 year before I sold it. Now how many times can people say they sold 1 year old electronics for more than they paid, in a fair and honest way?

I ended up getting a Q6600 and a decent MB with the money from the sale of a cpu that would barely hit 2.9ghz. It's all supply and demand, 939 isn't made anymore and some people don't like, or despise having to do OS reinstalls. You have to remember that people who can do a complete format and reinstall of an OS, including data backup, transfers, driver, etc are a very small percentage of users. I get numerous calls every week where people pay me over $100 in labor to come and install a $50 stick ram in their 5 year old boxes. Most of these people wouldn't want a new computer because they'd have to relearn "where their icons are"...

Before complaining about prices being too high, think about what you're buying, and what others are willing to pay. Some people have money to spend others don't, it doesn't make it overpriced or wrong to sell something at a price people are willing to pay.

Yeah, tax rebates I got and the sale of my 939 components (the latter much more significant than the former) is almost entirely funding my new Q9450 system.

Back