The Positives and Negatives of Nintendo's decision on the remote (Editorial)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting. Deep thoughts included there. I, personally, am very excited about the Revolution, and can't wait until it comes out. I'm not a huge fan of the big N....but the revolution will be very fun, I can already tell. :)

With your caption I thought it was going to be a bit impartial. The writer creamed his pants.

:rolleyes:

Two, it serves to show how superficial all of the additions of the last twenty years have been. As if to drive the point home, the pad is expandable. What, you want twenty more buttons? A nunchuck? A sleeve that turns the controller into a vorpal sword? Here, have them. Go wild. Play your first person punching whatevers. Just know that whatever you tack on, it's no more than an expansion to the basic design – just as every other controller you've touched was to our first pad. Kind of ballsy, though hey. They do have a point.

What an idiotic comment. I'd like to see someone try to play Quake 4 with the original NES controller. The additions in the past 20 years aren't superficial, they're neccessary upgrades to severely limited equipment.

I'm intrigued by the Revolution and if the price is $199 or less will purchase one. However to think that the controller is the best idea since sliced bread is foolish. 3d mice have been around for some time but I don't see those replacing well designed optical mice.

With your caption I thought it was going to be a bit impartial. The writer creamed his pants.

I didn't think it was as biased as you do - there are comments from both sides of the !!!!!! spectrum. Perhaps you should read through it again?

cb9fl said:
What an idiotic comment. I'd like to see someone try to play Quake 4 with the original NES controller. The additions in the past 20 years aren't superficial, they're neccessary upgrades to severely limited equipment.

Actually, playing Quake 4 with any current day gamepad is idiotic, and would much prefer a keyboard and mouse. Or, if it works as advertised, this Revolution controller. Take that quote to the bank.

Speaking of first person shooters, that is one thing I'm totally excited about on the Revolution. I just know that there will be a ton of 'em for the Revolution.

lesman said:
Speaking of first person shooters, that is one thing I'm totally excited about on the Revolution. I just know that there will be a ton of 'em for the Revolution.

Basing that on past FPS'ers for the other Nintendo consoles? Or just a hope?

There are at least 3 or 4 of them being developed for the launch window, if that's any indication.

Which ones? I am interested in knowing, since I am trying to find a game that is exclusive to the Rev that will make me want to get it.

I was going to buy it for Resident Evil 5, since that is the only game I bought for my Gamecube, but that I have since learned is coming to all the consoles.

steviep said:
There are at least 3 or 4 of them being developed for the launch window, if that's any indication.

nintendo claims to have a "halo killer" in the works.. at least i remember hearing that way back around E3 last year

in my book.. it doesn't take much to kill halo LOL!!!

There are 2 or 3 Ubisoft titles (1 of them being Splinter Cell 4), that they've announced but have not confirmed names and platforms for all 3. At least 1 will be exclusive, from what I remember reading here. There will also be Retro's launch game, be it either Metroid or the original IP they might be working on.

If you want to go to the rumour department, though, the folks who are responsible for titles such as Wave Race (NST) are rumoured to be working on an FPS title as well. There are plenty more rumoured titles that have been speculated on (including CoD2, Turok, Timesplitters, and even Unreal Tournament), but those are all multiplatform, and based on speculation only.

i hate it when people bring up the whole.. you naturally make your hands wiggle up and down when you wanted to make mario jump.. etc..

i just think that's a cheap way to try and justify the controller.. who cares about that.. i don't know.. give me something else ... not that...

i know there's more to the controller, and i think it's a decent idea that might work.. but i hate that "arguement" if you will...

Oh come on, you've never leaned to try to get around an extra-tight corner in Mario Kart?
tongue.gif

Actually I agree, that's the most idiotic thing I've ever heard. Just the mental image was kinda funny.

Well... when I read this from that article, I do remember various similar and fond memories, which should serve as an example to you, Rancid, about what it all means.

Over Christmas, while I fretted over various things I should have been doing instead of enjoying myself, I chanced to look over a photo album showing my companion and her sister as little girls. Several pictures in, I spotted a pair of snapshots of her sister, aged perhaps four or five, trying to play Super Mario Bros. And you know what she was doing with the controller. That's not a question; you know what she was doing. She was jiggling all over, wrenching the controller in the direction she wanted Mario to jump. The film speed wasn't fast enough to catch her. You know you've done this. If you don't do it now, it's by training. And golly, what a waste – that your energy didn't do any good, I mean. And that you've probably programmed it out of your system by now. Because, heck. There's no way a button could capture what you wanted to do. If only tilting the pad a little further could have made that jump for you. If only twisting it around at the right moment had let you dodge that projectile. If only...

What the Revolution does, on a hardware level, is basically the same thing that Katamari Damacy and Rez do and, to an extent, something like Ico does, as software: it strips everything down to the barest minimum, so it can add nuance: substance, context, meaning. So it can show how poignant how little can be, such that in the future someone else can build on this foundation and do something even greater. Now think about that for a moment. Imagine playing Rez with the Revolution controller. Or Katamari Damacy. Or heck, on the stupidly obvious level, try Super Monkey Ball. Even – now think deeply for a moment – how about Ikaruga? Eh? While you're here, you effectively get a light gun and a flight yoke in the same package.

That page (6) is the most interesting of the whole thing, in terms of speculation.

oh don't get me wrong.. i've done that too.. you know.. you play a game.. and you move the controller around mimicing the movement you're trying to do in the game..

but.. so what?? you know.. that's my thought on it..

i don't know.. like to me it means nothing..

like i said.. i think the controller is a cool idea.. and i plan to get a revolution.. but I just hate it when people bring that up as a point to prove that the revolution controller is a good idea..

I'm waiting for the first story to pop up about a little kid waving the controller around playing a game and losing grip of it and having it go smashing into the tv and then the parents suing nintendo. :p

To quote a crappy Ludacris song, "when I move you move, just like that" - that's the argument, at least from Nintendo's perspective. The controller is no longer a series of buttons that you press and sticks that you move, but an extension of your arm. The way in which your wrist moves the controller is what happens on the screen, at least in theory. I'd say that's a pretty good idea, in terms of a natural extension to the button+stick formula that we've all been getting used to. It's kind of like having a mouse, which still currently offers the most precise aiming and movement on a linear perspective. This could, if utilized properly and designed accurately, trump the mouse (even a gyro mouse) as the most accurate form of videogame control - and I personally find that to be enticing. Whether it be to move Mario with the flick of a wrist, or to literally point and shoot, I find that almost any potential use to be an exercise that could benefit from this remote.

xenogears said:
I'm waiting for the first story to pop up about a little kid waving the controller around playing a game and losing grip of it and having it go smashing into the tv and then the parents suing nintendo. :p

Nintendo would probably pay for a bigger TV, if their customer service accolades are to be believed. But put that "waving arm" crap to rest already, as we've been told it's not necessary many many times.

nintendo has great customer service lol

i remember my friend broke his gamecube contrller.. cause he opened it to look at how the analog stick worked.. he broke it opening it.. he called nintendo and ask if they might be able to help him fix it lol..

anyway.. they told him "don't worry about it.. we'll send you a free controller"

and they sent him one lol... i'm sure the operator thought he was a douche for breaking it..

cb9fl said:

I'm intrigued by the Revolution and if the price is $199 or less will purchase one. However to think that the controller is the best idea since sliced bread is foolish. 3d mice have been around for some time but I don't see those replacing well designed optical mice.

Playing quake 4 with any console controller would be 'idiotic' as you put it. As for general gaming the changes in controller design have been rather superficial. I would say the original PS controller would be sufficient for most games.

Nomikal said:
Playing quake 4 with any console controller would be 'idiotic' as you put it. As for general gaming the changes in controller design have been rather superficial. I would say the original PS controller would be sufficient for most games.

Indeed it is (see the DS). I'd be willing to go out on a limb and say that even most of the multiplatform FPS titles (from Ubisoft, for instance) may or may not look as good on the Revolution (probably not if no HD is present), but if used in conjunction with the nunchaku style FPS controls, will be far more usable and in turn more fun on the Revolution than the competing platforms.

The Rev's controller just does'nt interest me at all. No matter what a bunch of Nintendo fanatics say. It sorda pushes me away from the thoughts of buying one.

However if it does come in for under $200.00 I might pick one up. And maybe I may even like there new controller. But for some reason it is really a big turnoff for me.

Ok. So I read the article but I too came out of it feeling as if the author of the article was trying to sell the idea of the revolution controller to me rather than actually being objective about it and giving both the bad and good points about the controller.

I admit that the concept of the revolution controller is interesting but I don't think it's time as come. I myself, being a person that plays FPS games almost entirely, am having a problem figuring out how the revolution controller is going to help me, to be a benefit to me over a regular gamepad. Ok, so you have one button to do the primary shooting with and you point the controller at whatever you're trying to shoot but in todays FPS games, most guns have a secondary ability. You know like a grenade launcher or to bring up the scope of a sniper rifle. If you only have one button that does the primary firing action how in the hell are you supposed to bring up the scope or do other things for that matter? Like in an older FPS game, Black Hawk Down, for the sniper rifles you could change the viewng distance of the scopes, so how would you do that with the revolution? I supposed you somehow move the revolution closer to the tv in order to zoom in but that seems like a lot of effort when you could simply just push a button and zoom in.

Ok, so the controller is supposed to be expandable and by expanding it you could solve some of the concerns I have but doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a controller like the revolution? I mean, if the revolution was supposed to make games more interactive and fun while reducing the number of buttons one had to push but then in order to accomplish some things for a game you had to add something that simply had another button you had to push while moving the controller around, well it just seems to me to be going in the wrong direction. Also, if I'm going to spend $50+ on a game I don't want to have to spend another $10, $20 or whatever amount just to get some add on piece for the controller just so that I can play the damn game.

Don't get me wrong, for some games I can really see where the revolution could be really fun to use and since my kids all like the Nintendo platform I'll probably end up buying this system when it comes out. I don't know, maybe I'm just not really seeing the controller as it's meant to be seen, I've been that before on things. I think I'll reserver my final judgement for when it actually comes out and I have a chance to use it in the type of games I like to play.

I wanted to note that I had the super nintendo controller pictured on the second page and I loved it, it was thicker than the normal SNES pads and had real nice buttons. Then it started to go a little wonky, like it got "B" and "Start" mixed up which could be rather frustrating at times.

Tiny said:
Basing that on past FPS'ers for the other Nintendo consoles? Or just a hope?

While Nintendo hasn't had that many fps's on their consoles, I daresay if it hadn't been for goldeneye Halo probably would have seen a Mac release as originally intended by Bungee.

I don't think this article is as biased as some people are claiming:

I've no doubt Nintendo will screw up the download service somehow, just because that's the way Nintendo does things

The author does come across as being very excited about the new controller (and who can blame him?) but I think he makes a good point in focusing on subtlety. The rev. has the potential to bring a new elegance to gaming that could blow up the whole paradigm.

As for the "moving the controller" argument brought up by Rancid, I think it's a pretty valid one. The fact is that the people who move the controller the most are new to console gaming, which to me indicates that our brains naturally assume that moving the controller should effect whatever is happening on screen. For those of us who have been console gaming for most of our lives (if not all of them), it will feel a little weird at first because we're used to just thinking in terms of our thumbs and fingers. But if somebody who is not so familiar with console gaming sits down, starts waving the controller around and actually sees something happen, well, odds are they're going to have a lot more fun. So I imagine people like us will have to "unlearn what we have learned" (thanks Yoda), and that might just not be fun for some people. Personally, this is going to be the first console I've ever pre-ordered.

As I asked before if moving around to move something on the screen is so intuitive and great why haven't 3d mice taken off?

cb9fl said:
As I asked before if moving around to move something on the screen is so intuitive and great why haven't 3d mice taken off?

That's not a very good comparison. What were 3D mice created for? I've never even seen one, unless you're talking about those gyroscopic presentation mice, which are just poorly designed. The rev. is going to have sensors along the top and bottom of your TV which no doubt will be better able at detecting movement than a USB port. PC's have been made to work with regular mice for decades and I doubt that any 3D mice-making company has put the R+D into them that Nintendo has into the Rev. controller. Besides that, holding a controller in your hands that's designed to make Mario jump is a lot different from resting your hand on a mouse and seeing the pointer on the screen. What good is a 3D mouse going to do for you on a 2D desktop? And how many 3D games were written to take advantage of a 3D mouse?

Nomikal said:

Mark Rein of Unreal3 engine fame believes that standard controllers (he uses the XBOX 360 controller as a good example) are just fine for upcoming Epic FPS games and that the Revolution controller is clown shoes. I haven't tried the Rev controller, but I can attest to the fact that the XBOX 360 controller is, in fact, just fine for FPS games as Mark Rein states.

I'll hold off on any of this until I see gameplay taking advantage of the new remote. I think it could be the most fun since Super Mario 3, but it could also suck more than the Virtual Boy...

How is this bad though really? I mean what if Ninento made a "normal" console with more horsepower and the same controller? They would die off slowly as Xbox and Sony took more and more market share.

This way they can change the industry, something different and potentially very fun. If you don't like to don't buy it.

I'm glad to see something different and I think it's a great idea. I hope it pays off for Nintendo.

Slartibartfast said:
As for the "moving the controller" argument brought up by Rancid, I think it's a pretty valid one. The fact is that the people who move the controller the most are new to console gaming, which to me indicates that our brains naturally assume that moving the controller should effect whatever is happening on screen. For those of us who have been console gaming for most of our lives (if not all of them), it will feel a little weird at first because we're used to just thinking in terms of our thumbs and fingers. But if somebody who is not so familiar with console gaming sits down, starts waving the controller around and actually sees something happen, well, odds are they're going to have a lot more fun. So I imagine people like us will have to "unlearn what we have learned" (thanks Yoda), and that might just not be fun for some people. Personally, this is going to be the first console I've ever pre-ordered.

ehhhh... whatever..i still think it's a lame selling point.. i understand what you're saying.. but i think it's a lame selling point..

Call it lame, talk it down, claim you could never play an FPS with it... you will come to realize you are wrong. I have personally used the controller twice. Once with Metroid Prime on a modified GC and I can tell you that there is no better FPS controller. Period. The Nunchaku attached to the "remote" creates one of the most fluid and perfect FPS experience you could imagine.

So far most of the misinformation I have heard and read about the Revolution controller has been complete B.S. and by folks who have not even touched it yet. I guarantee that the Xbox 360 and PS3 and future game systems will have a similar controls cheme regardless of the Revolutions fate, that is how good it truly is even in very early stages.

While I know most of you have made up your minds prematurely based on bias/thoughts/opinions... I would venture to guess you will mostly all be changing your tunes in about 119 days (E3).

I think quite honestly, most of us will walk up to a Kiosk and try the Rev controller before making any REAL statements about it.

Has anyone talked about the asymetric aspect of the controller? When holding the 360 controller my hands are in almost identical positions. The Revolution controller being completely asymetric unless using an attachment seems very strange for controlling a game.

theNoid said:
I think quite honestly, most of us will walk up to a Kiosk and try the Rev controller before making any REAL statements about it.

You're new to the intarweb, aren't you? :)

Thats what people do on the internet. They bash (or praise) an object they have never seen/touched/used as if they designed the thing themselves. People in this very thread are already telling us how its not going to work for such and such style of gameplay. Sure, they've never used the controller, or ever seen one in real life, but that doesn't matter ;), they can still tell us matter-of-factly how its not gonna work.

We're already saying how its not at all ergonomic and trying to compare it to a 3d mouse (Apples and grapefruit as far as I can tell).

The one thing that I am constantly explaining to folks is that the initial Nintendo promo video was probably the WORST thing Nintendo could have done. It made it seem like you had to flail about to control the action, nothing could be further from the truth.

The games will vary I'm sure as far as the motion sensitivity, but so far every demo has required very little range of motion. As far as comfort, it is perfect. Literally perfect. Left-handed or Right-handed, small, medium, large hands... it is a very well made controller. Nintendo generally nails controllers dead on, and this is no exception. Even though there were no games using the controller in the "NES" style (holding it sideways) I fliped it sideways and held it and I can certainly see it being a sweet S/NES controller.

I just never understand how anyone can get all bunched up about something that no one has even seen in a complete finalized form. For all we know this could have been a massive red herring and the controller could be totally different! Relax, in a few months we will all see it and many more folks will have touched it and THEN write your editorials and flame each other incessantly for whatever reasons you feel neccessary.

I certainly hope this controller will truly be revolutionary in a good way. I'll certainly be pre-ordering a Revolution as long as it's $199 or less. The only console that doesn't interest me is the PS3.

cb9fl said:
Has anyone talked about the asymetric aspect of the controller? When holding the 360 controller my hands are in almost identical positions. The Revolution controller being completely asymetric unless using an attachment seems very strange for controlling a game.

I also think that will be a problem. It will be awkard to hold and use for long periods of time. Controllers are meant to be held with two hands for leverage and I think breaking the thing up into two separate parts will seem weird. It's not comparable to a KB/Mouse cause those things rest flat on desks.

tranCendenZ said:
Mark Rein of Unreal3 engine fame believes that standard controllers (he uses the XBOX 360 controller as a good example) are just fine for upcoming Epic FPS games and that the Revolution controller is clown shoes. I haven't tried the Rev controller, but I can attest to the fact that the XBOX 360 controller is, in fact, just fine for FPS games as Mark Rein states.

Yeah, and Mark Rein is also convinced that graphics are the end all and be all of games, and that everything else is secondary :rolleyes:

Are you kidding me? Playing FPS games with a gamepad has long been a crux of why I don't like FPS titles on consoles. The only times I stomach it is when I play multiplayer couch matches with buddies on Goldeneye/Halo/Timesplitters/etc. I couldn't imagine in the least bit why people even bought CoD2, for instance, on the X360, when they could be playing it with far superior controls (and potentially better visuals) on the PC? If this remote works as advertised, it can't be touched by a Gamepad for first-person controls, thank you very much Mark Rein.

Xenogears, it has been stated many times by the gaming press, you can hold it just like you would your regular gamepad (resting on your knees, for instance) and it still works fine. We'll all have to try it to verify that, I guess. I am in the same boat as Bruenor, in that I believe the PS4 and the XBox1080 will most certainly be using something similar, and that this remote has the POTENTIAL (potential being the keyword) to make the Gamepad feel obsolete in many game genres.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back