The perfect ZFS home server motherboard.

Sorry about the "normal size", I has a Supermicro board in my mind.

You don't need the Xeon. You can take Pentium G3220 or i3-4320 and you will still be able to max out 1Gbps. I might be a bit expensier as AsRock but then again, you have a proper server grade hardware:)

Matej

You could take that $250 supermicro with the 14 sata ports and throw in an Intel G1820 for $45 giving you a nice setup for just FreeNAS file server for 295.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116974

Last edited:
Yea, you have to decide weather go with mini-itx and Marvell chipset with questionable support on NAS OS(at least with FreeNAS and Solaris) or with uATX with fully supported HBAs. Since this thing usually hosts my data, I would reather pick good drivers/support. But that is just me, paranoid about data:)

Matej

X10SL7-F

50% more expensive, for double the power consumption and double the size? sounds like a deal!

The C2550 has 6x intel sata, the marvell only comprise the other 6. They key is the marvell chips are rated at 1w, while LSI is like 10+w even at idle.

check freenas forum for performance checks of the marvell ports?

Would either the C2550 or C2750 have enough power to work as a media streamer? That's really all I use my file server for anymore... Stores my movies and streams them to various devices using Serviio.

So is anyone actually running the C2550D4I with good results?

Wondering how it'll handle Plex, for example.

The only issue that surrounds the C2750D4I since its release is the use of Marvell controllers. Users have been reporting that in Linux and FreeBSD, high intensity read/write workloads cause the controller to reset and elements to any software array are lost. It would seem that the C2750D4I is more suited to two/four-drive RAID arrays where each array does not span controllers.

Well that isn't good.

UGH. I decided to just buy the E31220V3/Supermicro combo at newegg for $401.98. I know it'll at least works, and one day later on if I ever re-purpose it I can put in a GPU and its a decent desktop system. Probably losing 10-15watts idle.. $3/month or so at my local crazy rates.

But now I go to order and Samsung M391B1G73BH0-CK0 memory on superbiiz.com is out of stock or something. It was there this morning. :( :( :(

Supermicro has removed all Kingston memory from the compatibility list.

Why is nothing ever simple!? LOL.

I had a C2750D4I and i sold it, i was having issues with the board being stable (Freezing, Random Reboots) especially with a LSI controller inside it. When i called for support on ASRocks side they started giving me crap that Solaris wasn't a supported OS!

Eventually the board was replaced but i had to prove the issues weren't the OS causing the problem. I got fed up with the board and sold it off to a buddy who wanted it for an ESXI lab. But be warned ASRock isnt friendly with hearing Solaris on this board.

I had a C2750D4I and i sold it, i was having issues with the board being stable (Freezing, Random Reboots) especially with a LSI controller inside it. When i called for support on ASRocks side they started giving me crap that Solaris wasn't a supported OS!

Eventually the board was replaced but i had to prove the issues weren't the OS causing the problem. I got fed up with the board and sold it off to a buddy who wanted it for an ESXI lab. But be warned ASRock isnt friendly with hearing Solaris on this board.

OR linux on the board I asked them about. Or FreeBSD.

in other words they are MS only.

Solaris 11.2 is out now, and I hope this Solaris version now supports the latest Supermicro mobos. I also have some minor issues (NIC does not work, needed to add another NIC card, volume slider does not work - but it does work in virtualized Windows with VirtualBox, etc) with Supermicro X10SAT, but nothing I can not live with. I hope these issues are fixed in now. I will update Solaris to latest and report back here if my issues are gone.

Back