The "peformance tool" in windows 2K/XP

imzjustplayin

[H]ard|Gawd
How can I better utilize the performance tool so that I can see why my systems run slower than they should? This is the performance tool that is part of the MMC console and comes with 2k and XP. I know that this is a powerful tool that is underused and I'm wanting to know how to better utilize it. So I'm asking, if my system runs a bit slower or takes longer to load than I think it should, what are some things to look at?

Is there like a list of performance tabs I should check out to find out the 'bottleneck' of the system? Does this tool have the ability to idenitfy if memory bandwidth (lack thereof) is an issue?

Also I have a question about one of the things I've noticed.
I've been getting a LOT of unknown packets on a machine of mine and I want to know why. It says it's continuously recieving unknown packets and I want to fix it. I'm sure this is effecting my network performance.

I've never bothered with that tool or any of the built in tools in any Windows version, not even the WinSAT stuff in Vista at this time. There are better tools to judge performance, but what really matters the most is how your machine works for you and that simply isn't something you can measure with anything but your hands on the machine and how it responds to what you want it to do.

If you want to check memory bandwidth, that test in SiSoft Sandra is pretty much the "standard" one used by many people since it comes with a database of different RAM types to compare your machine's particular performance against. CPU-Z is also good for determining precisely what RAM you have and what timings it's running at while Windows is in operation. PC Wizard 2006 by the same people is a great product also, similar in operation to Sandra.

As far as getting unknown packets, that's a given. If you're connected to the Internet, you will be hit with packets 24/7 from everywhere on the planet trying to poke holes in your firewall (you do have one running, I hope) and looking for possible back doors to get in and cause who knows what kind of mischief.

Hope this helps...

bbz_Ghost said:
I've never bothered with that tool or any of the built in tools in any Windows version, not even the WinSAT stuff in Vista at this time. There are better tools to judge performance, but what really matters the most is how your machine works for you and that simply isn't something you can measure with anything but your hands on the machine and how it responds to what you want it to do.

If you want to check memory bandwidth, that test in SiSoft Sandra is pretty much the "standard" one used by many people since it comes with a database of different RAM types to compare your machine's particular performance against. CPU-Z is also good for determining precisely what RAM you have and what timings it's running at while Windows is in operation. PC Wizard 2006 by the same people is a great product also, similar in operation to Sandra.

As far as getting unknown packets, that's a given. If you're connected to the Internet, you will be hit with packets 24/7 from everywhere on the planet trying to poke holes in your firewall (you do have one running, I hope) and looking for possible back doors to get in and cause who knows what kind of mischief.

Hope this helps...

Yeah I know I could use Sisoft but bleh.. Problem with the unknown packets is that it generates errors in the event log. I shouldn't recieve unknown packets on the machines within the subnet, right.....? (I have a firewall)

yes you can get them on your subnet, prob just hellos from routers if you have one or broadcasts. As long as you aren't getting a lot and they are not really large it shouldn't be a problem. A little chatter is acceptable.

As far as the performance tool, get the book i noted in your other post, it tells you all about it, how to use it, how to generate alerts with it etc.etc.etc

Tim Wardlaw said:
yes you can get them on your subnet, prob just hellos from routers if you have one or broadcasts. As long as you aren't getting a lot and they are not really large it shouldn't be a problem. A little chatter is acceptable.

As far as the performance tool, get the book i noted in your other post, it tells you all about it, how to use it, how to generate alerts with it etc.etc.etc

Well what do you do if you get a LOT of unknown packets? I have two machines one with W2000 SP4 and one with XP and the XP machines gets TONS of unknown packets while the 2000 machine gets about 100 in a 'session'. I mean I get an unknown packet for every packet that is sent/recieved, thats how frequent it is.

Get and install something like NetMon, or Ethereal to capture some traffic, see what's going on.

your firewall, is it software on you system or is it physical like on a router? if it sits in front of your network and is configured right you should see little to no traffic inside.

Are we talking about traffic inside the LAN or traffic outside the LAN trying to get inside?

Back